Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-26-2012

jarod is on a distinguished road
Leaky hull deck joint going to be tricky to repair

Hi All,

I have a fiberglass motorsailer only two were built so unfortunately i don't have a large info base on which to draw ideas and was hoping some of you could help. The hull to deck joint is leaking quite badly. It seems after some rip and tear that the joint is composed of the deck and the hull which come up vertically together to form a hollow bulwark. This hollow was spanned by some fiberglass encased ply which over the years has deteriorated from water ingress. The two fiberglass lips were sandwiched between two teak strips and the entire mess was through bolted. This has led to many opportunites for water to migrate into the hollow bulwark and make its way into the bilge on the boat and who knows where else. I am thinking i will cap the entire thing.... teak, bolts and all with glass/resin then put on a new teak cap rail which will only penetrate the teak pieces to the side of the hollow bulwark. I have a great picture that shows this mess but not sure if sailnet will allow me to post. I will give it a try. In any case i hope someone has some specific instructions.

I have included a link to the photo as well. Please just click on the link to Flickr to view and note that the photo is labeled.

Thanks Jarod
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2012

Re: Leaky hull deck joint going to be tricky to repair

bump
Old 08-27-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

Is seems the builder made a major mistake in not 'glassing over the top of the join/bulwark in the first place. Shooting bolts through it, with plywood spacers for filler, was another mistake. (End grain balsa might have reduced water transmission.) The real fix would be to remove the teak cap, remove the plywood, remove any damaged teak strips, remove the bolts, replace the ply & teak with something that won't rot - nomex, perhaps? - 'glass over the top while encapsulating the new core, and then put the bolts back and re-cap it with teak or whatever. It may cost more than four new suits of sails to do this, and you also want to make sure it is done properly, so that the hull and deck don't shift anywhere. Not a weekend project.

Last edited by paulk; 08-27-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-29-2012

After further investigation I see that the true hull to deck joint is lower down near the bottom of the bulwark on the underside of the deck portion and thankfully the builder glassed around the entire perimeter of the boat. I examined the exposed underside of the deck portion and it is tabbed to the hull around the entire boat. This hollow bulwark is not supposed to be the main structural joint. I guess i can breathe a sigh of relief from that perspective; however, I would still like suggestions on how I might go about sealing that bulkhead from further water ingress.

Thanks for the reply and any further replies.

Jarod