Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Replace standing rigging?

You can just about walk across Northport Harbor on Catalina's and I do not ever recall seeing one of any age with that style standing rigging on the boats above 25' ?

As far as ordering a ready made set of standing rigging without using the old stuff to get the lenths right is most likely going to be a FAIL

I have no idea what happened to my Cal 29 between 1970 and 2011 when I replaced the standing rigging BUT

The boat came with all the original paper work and ONLY the backstay and the 3/16 uppers matched the original specs everything else was kind of a mess of mismatched stuff and wrong size Clevis pins and random plain steel that somehow never fell down
knothead likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2012

bratzcpa is on a distinguished road

With the boat home for the winter, and the mast down, I decided to get to work on replacing the standing rigging.

Wow, that turned out to be a big project. I found several things which were surprises:

1) the spreader ends were oxidized/corroded so badly, the shroud was literally "welded" in place. I think this was from the disimilar metals (aluminum spreader end caps and stainless wire). I'm guessing this was becoming a weak spot too.

2) the mast head was cracked. Still seemed strong, but glad to know it was cracked so I could replace before bad stuff happened.

3) the turnbuckle on the fore-stay was severely bent. Apparently the previous owner smacked into a dock (at low water) or something. I'm sure that big bend must have weakened the bronze turnbuckle.

4) wrapping up all the shrouds was like wresting snakes!!! ugggh.

5) the wire itself seemed to be in great shape. no kinks. no 'fishooks'.

so, now I need to make some decisions on the wire ends. I was planning to send these off to Catalina Direct and have swaged ends for the new wires. But I've been reading more about the strength of Norseman.

I would be interested in more opinions. What "ends" do you like? why?

thx, markb

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27
Old 12-24-2012

wescarroll is on a distinguished road

Do any of your fittings look like this? .riggingonly.com/Norsemanmechanicalterminal.htm or this:riggingonly.com/stalok.htm Or this:riggingonly.com/himod.htm

If so make sure they are installed as the instructions here show, and assure the integrity of the parts(no crack or broken parts or broken strands) and you are good to go. These are stronger than swaged, and less likely to be improperly done, as you can redo a mistake without having to cut off the fitting when you make a mistake.
Old 12-24-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Call John Franta up at Colligio Marine and talk to him about Dynex Dux standing rigging. It won't cost much (if any) more, and is a major performance gain. Plus the next time you need to replace it, replacement cost is a few hundred bucks.
Old 12-27-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Call John Franta up at Colligio Marine and talk to him about Dynex Dux standing rigging. It won't cost much (if any) more, and is a major performance gain. Plus the next time you need to replace it, replacement cost is a few hundred bucks.
i know nothing about this stuff. how does it hold up to being grabbed rubbed by lines, poles, bungie cords over say 10-15yrs. the average life of stainless wire? Is this a good material for the long haul? I can see its usefulness in racing, can it last in a typical weekend/cruiser? Seems like a cheaper and stronger material...maybe a good option? As you have recommended it, have you used it? if so, how did it hold up for you?

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 12-27-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Dynex Dux is not immune to UV. Colligo Marine say that it will easily last 5 years and they say this compares to a recommended interval of 8 years for steel. I can't believe very many, if any, cruisers change out their standing rigging every 8 years. Maybe circumnavigators. I think the performance gain on a 1973 Cat 27 is going to be overshadowed by the likely shorter life, and thus much higher total cost.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 12-27-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Right now the replacement interval on Dux seems to be about every 8 years for the line, with no limit on the fittings (they use aluminium instead of stainless so corrosion isn't an issue).

When you first make the switch it will likely cost about the same as changing out wire, after that figure $200 every 8 years or so for new line.

Rit now I am at year 5 on my Dynex stuff, and it still looks brand new.