SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Replace standing rigging? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/91415-replace-standing-rigging.html)

bratzcpa 08-27-2012 05:44 PM

Replace standing rigging?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello:

We bought a 1973 Catalina 27' this spring. We have sailed it a ton this summer. Even managed to race her a few times. Throughout the summer, we've discovere a hundred and one little things that have needed fixing/improving/upgrading . . . all going pretty well.

The other day, I was doing some work on the standing rigging (shrouds and fore/back stays), and started to question the 'ends'. Unlike all of the other boats I see, this has a thimble (which bends the wire in a fairly sharp turn) and then a crimped ferrule holding the end (see picture attached).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8425/7...80c5efa8_m.jpg

My question: Is this an acceptable approach? Some people have told me that it needs to be replaced with a swaged end IMMEDIATELY. Others have said just to watch it for any signs of breaking, fraying, or slipping.

We have sailed it a ton this summer with no problems. Next year, we'll be the Bahamas with this boat for two months. I'm leaning towards replacing with a set of new wires/ends from Catalina Direct.

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions on a course of action.

~markb

knothead 08-27-2012 06:07 PM

Re: Replace standing rigging?

While using swage or mechanical fittings might ultimately be stronger and last longer, they are also more expensive. It's not uncommon to see Nico-pressed eyes on small rigs. It's is fine as long as it's inspected and replaced when it shows signs of wear or corrosion.
The eyes are double sleeved which is proper for 1x19 wire.

Just make sure everything is in good shape and don't worry about it.
Get a professional to give it a once over if you aren't sure.

Depending on it's age, it might not be a bad idea to replace it before you go cruising.

jsaronson 08-27-2012 06:09 PM

All standing rigging should be stainless steel. No, that's not normal stuff. Looks like a DIY replacement.
Did you have the boat surveyed when you bought it? What did the surveyor say?
I wouldn't sail with that rig.

knothead 08-27-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaronson (Post 914811)
All standing rigging should be stainless steel. No, that's not normal stuff. Looks like a DIY replacement.

The wire appears to be 1x19 stainless wire. Probably type 316.

Cruiser2B 08-27-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaronson (Post 914811)

I originally thought my rigging was a backyard type job but upon further investigation i found out that nicro fitting were actually used quite a bit back in the day. My and several other Alberg 30 had nicro fittings. My rigging was 40 yrs old before I replaced the past winter. It may not be a standard for todays rigging but If money was tight I think this is a very acceptable way as long as you have them properly crimped.

Frogwatch 08-27-2012 06:49 PM

When the standing rigging on my S2 was 24 yrs old I thought it was OK until I decided to REALLY look close at it. I lightly sanded some brown spots that looked like faint rust and then examined them with a 10X magnifier. DANG, cracks on the lower fittings where the wire goes in. Of course, I replaced them. The cracks were not visible to the naked eye.

SchockT 08-27-2012 07:33 PM

That looks like an amateur rigging job, and if it was me I wouldn't trust it. One problem with nicropress fittings is that there is a lot of gaps to allow moisture and salt to penetrate the fitting. I would not trust any home made rigging like that on something as important as the mast. Bite the bullet and get your standing rigging replaced before your trip.

c_witch 08-27-2012 07:49 PM

I was curious about that myself earlier this year as my boat is set up the same. While it could be DIY the crippers are very expensive so likely it is not.
They should be double nicro fittings for sure and they (if done properly) are actually stronger then swagged fittings. Swagged fittings have issues with water working its way in on the deck level fittings do their being inverted, and once in it has no where to go. There are also 3 types of mechanical fittings, but the last study I read on them indicated that Norseman should be avoided.

c_witch

knothead 08-27-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

That looks like an amateur rigging job, and if it was me I wouldn't trust it. One problem with nikopress fittings is that there is a lot of gaps to allow moisture and salt to penetrate the fitting. I would not trust any home made rigging like that on something as important as the mast. Bite the bullet and get your standing rigging replaced before your trip.
What exactly do you see that makes it look amateurish?
Is it just the fact that they used Nico Press fittings?

Cruiser2B 08-27-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knothead (Post 914869)
What exactly do you see that makes it look amateurish?
Is it just the fact that they used Nico Press fittings?

I am wondering the same thing. My research has shown that Whitby Boats rigged boats this way, no proof of other companies doing it but I am pretty sure there were, and it sure seemed to stand the test of time at least on Albergs. There is an Alberg 30 a few slips down that is one year older than mine and he still has his nicro fittings on the shrouds and lowers. I don't see any reason this would be considered to be an amateur job. I think a couple of cable clamps would be considered a DIY job.....BTW i used sta-locs because my I am an amateur and dont have the crimpers required.