Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-22-2004

Bryant is on a distinguished road
VOLVO PENTA ENGINES

I have a volvo penta 2003 series diesel engine and I was wondering if anybody has heard of using a hand crank to start the engine. Is a manual hand crank available for this model? I thought that I read somewhere that the diesel engines w/out glow plugs could be started with a hand crank so you don''t need any other power source. I have a two battery bank on the sailboat currently and it is really tough to start w/out glow plugs in cold or cool weather and I tend to run the batteries down in the process. Just looking for feedback. Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2004

gunnyman1 is on a distinguished road
VOLVO PENTA ENGINES

Have no experiance on your type engine. I took a couple of classes on Yanmar when I owned a boat with one. The Pro says pull the stop out and turn the engine over a couple of times. Then push it back in and you should get a good response. Worked on mine here is SC. Pre-oils and warms a bit. Worth a try.
Old 02-23-2004

tahitisail is on a distinguished road
VOLVO PENTA ENGINES

I put a starter button on the top of my yanmar and using the starter button in conjuction with the compression releases have had no trouble starting the engine even when the batteries are low.
Old 02-24-2004

AJS is on a distinguished road
VOLVO PENTA ENGINES

Bryant,

If you''re having a hard time starting it with the batteries, you won''t believe how tough it is by hand!
If the engine is generally reluctant to start, hand starting will usually be unsuccessful.

AJS
Old 02-24-2004

lauralee is on a distinguished road
VOLVO PENTA ENGINES

I have an older Volvo MD2B which has a hand crank. I''ve never had to use it but have turned the engine with it and it is stiff. I have started my engine with a weak battery by lifting the compression levers until the flywheel is turning and then pushing the levers down. In my boat that takes two people though because the key start is in the cockpit. There is a cold weather assist button by the injector pump if you are trying to start in cold weather.
Old 02-25-2004

Bryant is on a distinguished road
VOLVO PENTA ENGINES

It turns out that the volvo penta 2003 series does have a hand crank, but the tech at volvo said that it would really be tough to use it. The compression is rough! I will try some of the techniques mentioned on this topic. Thanks to everybody for the feedback.
Old 09-30-2009

OSPREYCHARTER is on a distinguished road
volvo penta 2003 starting

i have a volvo penta 2003 and have obtained volvo paperwork for it . The way this engine should be started is
1. set throttle to full in neutral
2. pull strangler (engine stop ) out fully for 5 to 10 seconds , this activates cold start device
3.push strangler back in and crank
4. when engine starts pull throttle back to tick over

before i found this out i used to crank it for ages to start it, now it starts straight away with huge clouds of smoke ! i have been told by a mechanic the cold start device is the rack opening to let fuel straight into the cylinders
Old 09-30-2009
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
I have a 2003 diesel and it does have a hand crank in the engine room (enclosure?), but I dont think I could ever imagine starting it with only the crank. I have used the crank to turn the engine over for maintenance items such as valve adjustments, but never tried to start it. Hmmmmmmmm that might be a challenge!
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2009

groundhog is on a distinguished road
I have an older MD6A.
I have started it with the hand crank. Things that make this engine easy to start with hand crank is that it has a large, heavy flywheel and it has a decompression lever.

With the decompression lever lifted, the flywheel spins easily. So with the engine ready to start, you start cranking and get the flywheel spinning as fast as you can.

Then flip the compression lever down. All the energy you just spun into the flywheel now goes into starting the engine.

If you don't have those two things I think it would be harder to start.
What if you use the starter with the weak batteries AND you crank too at the same time?

gh
Old 09-30-2009
clueless

dieselboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by j34035 View Post
I have a 2003 diesel and it does have a hand crank in the engine room (enclosure?), but I dont think I could ever imagine starting it with only the crank. I have used the crank to turn the engine over for maintenance items such as valve adjustments, but never tried to start it. Hmmmmmmmm that might be a challenge!
DD

Keep in mind that a compression kick back can break your arm! I do not recommend any one using the hand crank to try to start the Engine. That crank is supposed to be used to set valves and do work on the engine since you cant get to the flywheel.
Use the cold start recommendation or get bigger battery's or more of them. I have 2 and 2 battery's.