SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   deck fill cap for Pearson 32 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/91495-deck-fill-cap-pearson-32-a.html)

Outrageous 08-29-2012 04:51 PM

deck fill cap for Pearson 32

The waste cap on my 1982 Pearson 32 had to be surgically removed. Cannot find replacement. Cap was:

- black plastic

- ~ 2" top cap diameter (maybe 1 15/16")

- ~ 1 3/4" outside diameter of threaded part

- 1/2" long threaded part

- must be NPT thread because have almost 6 threads in 1/2", and NPT standard for 1.5" pipe is 11.5 threads per inch

Have tried online stores, West Marine, consignment shop and boat yard to no avail (most online stores don't have the dimensions in order to confirm relevance). I'll take metal or plastic and I don't care what label it has on it. Thanks for any productive pointers.

Just trying to avoid replacing the entire waste deck fill, which would seem to be a risky and dirty job.

Mobnets 08-29-2012 05:07 PM

Re: deck fill cap for Pearson 32

hollandmarine.com

Online catalogue Page 143

Shows "black nylon" deck fill assemblies for $12.00

Don't know if the thread is right but at that price you could buy the assembly just to get the cap.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"

Mobnets 08-29-2012 05:25 PM

More Info:

Holland Marine is in the Toronto area but I've found them to be friendly, easy to do business with (and order from in the US), and very knowledgeable on the phone if you're unsure of the dimensions. They seem to stock a lot of unique parts peculiar to older sailboat models.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"

SchockT 08-29-2012 05:27 PM

You may find that replacing the whole deck fill is not really a big deal. As with any through deck fitting it should be re-bedded at some point anyway, so maybe this is an opportunity to take care of that job too!

norsearayder 08-30-2012 07:05 AM

outrage ,i installed a new water fill cap in my p-32,easy -peasy,how long have you had yours? what hull #?

Outrageous 08-30-2012 12:23 PM

norsea,
Hull #113, which I believe is the last one laid.
Pointers? esp as to how to decouple fill pipe from waste pipe and then reinstall with a perfect seal?
And how much of what below decks needs to be removed to provide access?

Thanks for your interest/help.

Outrageous

norsearayder 08-30-2012 04:41 PM

outrage,you will probably have to cut it just below the fill,with murphys law in full swing you now need a whole new lenth of pipe and hopefully the tank is empty!!my acess was in behind the head a very small place to fight.i have heard a small bit of torch heat mayremove the pipe by softening but you run the risk of a boat fire...risky bizness