Old 03-10-2004

jbanta is on a distinguished road
FURLERS

$480 For how big a boat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2004

drynoc is on a distinguished road
FURLERS

My boat is a Santana 35, displacing about 8500 lbs. There are various parameters on the Alado website concerning which of their systems will work for you, but it appears that the only hardware differences are the number of foils you buy and the size of the bushings.
Old 04-16-2004

its1louder is on a distinguished road
FURLERS

wow, I have a santana 35 and am trying to decide between schaeffer 1100 and harken mkIII unit 1. Either way I''m looking at $1600 for the base system not counting a new forestay. I was going to get dyform 9/32" to replace the -8 rod and use mechanical sta-locs so I could do it myself, an extra $200 or so. All together I''m budgetting $2K.

for $480 though, it seems you bought the A0, I might have gone with the A2 which is $800. Still half the price I was considering.

I don''t know that I like the cast sheave block that sits at the top of the extrusion though.
Old 04-19-2004

drynoc is on a distinguished road
FURLERS

I''m not clear on what your issue is with the sheave other than the fact that it is cast, but having assembled it, I believe it will work well. I added the Kiwi slides myself, and am about to add the UV protection. Then we''ll see how it all goes.
Old 04-19-2004

39512 is on a distinguished road
FURLERS

The Alado is similar to the Cruising Design in price and philosophy, without a halyard swivel. The torque on the extrusion connectors is the primary area to watch. Not crazy about roll pins, Harken used them, and occassionally the pin holes would elongate and the roll pin slip out a bit. Sometimes this would cause tears in the sail.

Keep a close eye on the feeder extrusion (connected to drum). Torque there is high.

Most damage to furlers (joints) happens during stepping/unstepping. Try to keep it staight.
Old 04-19-2004

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
FURLERS

I have used a Furlex system for a number of years now and have been pretty pleased overall. The "Dockside" survey at my marina showed that the most popular are: 1) Profurl, 2) Harken (most delivered on the boat new) and 3) Furlex.

To a man, everyone seemed to think the Profurl as the top unit, best built and designed. But as I said, I''m very happy with the Furlex.

I try to look at critical systems on a boat and make sure that they are the best available. Cost is always an object during a purchase, but how much will the $500 - $1,000 saved be worth if your budget system jams at an inopportune moment? Or how great will the savings be if you can''t get parts or the company goes out of business? The industry leaders became that for a reason, and many have been around for a long time. That is not to say that any other companies can''t deliver a quality product or back it up with parts. It''s just that a furler is not just a critical system, it is one of the MOST critical systems, and to save a couple of hundred bucks there seems like a bad investment.

On my 37'' masthead rig, the Furlex has double races of ball bearings top and bottom, along with double races of ball bearings on the sail hoist also. Plus, the drum removes easily, and the twin grooves face aft for a very racy headstay.

The Dutch Wharf yard, (shameless plug for Paul and the crew) is very good with rig handling and there never seems to be a problem with the foil. They have a separate storage set up for furlers, which are never left with the rig during storage.
Old 04-20-2004

its1louder is on a distinguished road
FURLERS

my issue with the cast sheave block is that I prefer machined parts for their durability. It''s nitpicking and the price would go way up for that of course.

The fact the the halyards are integral with the extrusion is a wash - It seems akward to hoist a headsail from the bow pulpit but its nice that the halyard will never wrap.

Looking at the reefrite I like the downloader concept. I could see a heavy weather situation where you might drop a big genoa, leave it secured to the downloader at the luff and lash the clew to the lifelines and quickly raise a storm jib. There is no price break for the reefrite though, it costs about the same as the schaefer or the harken in the US, and I preffer the last two for the open torlon bearing races vs sealed steel ones. All seals fail.

with the Santana 35 fractional rig, my main concern is extrusion strength because the forstay goes through such a range of tension on a fractional. And in heavy air if you don''t set the running backs the extrusion could get really worked if it "pumps".

If I had known about the alado 5 years ago when my budget was tighter I would have gotten it for the price break but now I am not so sure, mainly because I will still change headsails often with the furler and I won''t want to stand at the forstay to do that.
Old 12-03-2006

FRANK PALERMO is on a distinguished road
ProFurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by drynoc
Thanks, hamiam, for your suggestion. I had not heard of the others either, until the recent article in Practical Sailor. Profurl is still on my list, but since it is more common it is easier to get comments on. These others are considerably less expensive, so I need to look into them.
ProFurl may be a decent furling system but the company is impossible to do business with. Even the dealers complain that communication with them is nigh impossible. There specs on the same model furler vary from dealer to dealer. Very confusing. Was advised by one dealer to avoid a lot of frustration to buy a Harken or CDI.

FRANK
Old 12-03-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I bought the New Profurl unit just after it was put on the market last spring. I bought it through Rigging Only. It took a couple of weeks to get as they were not even in the country yet. Jeff at Rigging Only was very helpful, gave me a good deal. If there were any issues with Profurl (Wichard) as a company, I didn't see them.
Old 12-03-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Frank & T34C... Are you guys aware that this thread is over two-and-a-half years old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.