Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-23-2004

drynoc is on a distinguished road
FURLERS

I''m trying again, after conducting more research. Any comments on Alado, Bamar, or Reef Rite furlers?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2004

hamiam is on a distinguished road
FURLERS

I can recommend Profurl systems. Never heard of the others, sorry.
Old 02-23-2004

FURLERS

Thanks, hamiam, for your suggestion. I had not heard of the others either, until the recent article in Practical Sailor. Profurl is still on my list, but since it is more common it is easier to get comments on. These others are considerably less expensive, so I need to look into them.
Old 02-23-2004

hamiam is on a distinguished road
FURLERS

My only input is this: I get and read Practical Sailor and while no infallible I think they give fair reviews. If you do go with any of those furlers make sure you can get support and/or spare parts if need be. You may especially need support with the initial install. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2004

DrKirk is on a distinguished road
FURLERS

I did some checking with one of the best professional riggers in the U.S. and he said that Schaefer was the best and Profurl and Harken were tied for #2.
Old 03-08-2004

FURLERS

Just to round this out, I bought an Alado furler. They are made in Brazil, are inexpensive, and got a couple of good reviews on another BB. I like a couple of their design features very well. We''ll see how it goes. Installation was incredibly easy, even with the less than stellar manual. I''m looking forward to trying the Kiwi slides, which technically go with the Reefrite furler from New Zealand, but which will work with any furler and replace luff tape.
Old 03-08-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
FURLERS

D:

Can you provide us a URL or other reference on the Alado furler. Sounds worth reading about.

Jack
Old 03-09-2004

FURLERS

Certainly. You can get the manufacturer''s side at aladous.com. You can also call David Davenport, whose number is on the site, anytime, and discuss the subject until your heart is content. There was a comment on Alado in the recent practical sailor, and I got another comment or two at the sailboatowners.com forum. Total cost of the furler, minus line and blocks, for my 35'' boat: $480.
Old 03-09-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
FURLERS

D:

Thanks for the URL. It appears to me this is a system similar to Famet''s (which has been around a long time and gets generally good marks, altho'' the new owner/mfgr. apparently has raised the price considerably). I''d suggest you look closely at how much tension you can apply to the halyard given the small sheaves being used; I appreciate how *high* tension isn''t as necessary when using a luff tape but, in larger rigs, I''d think available luff tension would be a concern.

The poly bushings are pretty common now; the real corrosion issue is WRT how the foil sections are joined (typically, stainless fasteners are used at some point). I liked seeing that Alado bothers to anodize some of their aluminum; it''s the only chance Aluminum has to co-exist with a salt water environment any length of time.

Jack
Old 03-10-2004

FURLERS

Jack,

The foil sections interconnect with each other, not unlike a sliding puzzle. There are no fasteners other than the bushings which separate the foils from the stay. I particularly liked the fact that the system could be installed over my existing rod rigging, which is rare. Most systems either provide a new stay or require that you alter the existing one. I can''t say anything myself about longevity yet, but I did see a couple of good comments, so I have high hopes. At $480, I haven''t lost a lot if it doesn''t work out.