Does anyone know of a galvanized anchor swivel that will actually swivel? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-03-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Does anyone know of a galvanized anchor swivel that will actually swivel?

I'm of the opinion also that swivels are of dubious value. I've been meaning to do so for some time so will be removing ours in the next week or so. I'll be interested to see if it makes any real difference but I can only see the swivel as a weak link.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I'm of the opinion also that swivels are of dubious value. I've been meaning to do so for some time so will be removing ours in the next week or so. I'll be interested to see if it makes any real difference but I can only see the swivel as a weak link.
Awesome! Let us know the results. I must say that I was surprised that jrd22 is getting away with it in out waters. I'm still skeptical though since I had such a snafu the one time my swivel seemed to fail.

Medsailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-03-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Awesome! Let us know the results. I must say that I was surprised that jrd22 is getting away with it in out waters. I'm still skeptical though since I had such a snafu the one time my swivel seemed to fail.

Medsailor
I'm intrigued .... what happened ... is it a tidal thing that is causing your problems ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 09-04-2012
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I'm intrigued .... what happened ... is it a tidal thing that is causing your problems ?
I always assumed so. Here is a typical tide chart for our area:

Basically my experience is that I've always had a swivel of some kind on my anchors (except stern anchors, but with them you don't swing) and never really tried anchoring without one. Around here the tides and winds cause you to shift around quite a bit.

The snafu to which I refer is the first time I put my shiny (actually quite dull) galvanized shackle on and anchored overnight. In the AM I started winching it up and pretty soon it was jamming in the manual windlass and was obviously badly twisted. I had to manually untwist the section between the windlass and bow roller for over an hour, one foot at a time. Maybe it was a fluke but I didn't give it a second chance. I put my stainless swivel back on and never had a problem since.

I don't see how it could untwist while coming up either. If you've got 200ft out and it's only 40ft deep then you have to pull in 160ft of twisted chain before it has a chance to untwist while coming up. Then again, never mind the science of it all, what I care about is results! People say they do it (even in my waters) without a swivel, so I think I should try it also and see what happens. Heck according to the theory of things my galvy one should have worked!

MedSailor

Old 09-04-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Our tides are 1.5 - 2 metres. Our old girl didn't have a swivel and I never missed it. I confess I've never had twisted chain as such. Must be a right pain in the butt.

Old 09-04-2012

noelex77 is on a distinguished road

No swivel here and I anchor over 300 days a year.

I have only had a twisted chain once and we were anchored in the same spot for over a couple of months.
Some anchor winches put some twist in the chain, which may be your problem.

If you do use a swivel make it a very good one and put a few links of chain between the anchor and the swivel. Even the good swivels are not very strong with a side load which is the usual failure mode. Chain between the anchor and swivel stops the possibility of a large side load.
Old 09-04-2012
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex77 View Post
No swivel here and I anchor over 300 days a year.

I have only had a twisted chain once and we were anchored in the same spot for over a couple of months.
Some anchor winches put some twist in the chain, which may be your problem.

If you do use a swivel make it a very good one and put a few links of chain between the anchor and the swivel. Even the good swivels are not very strong with a side load which is the usual failure mode. Chain between the anchor and swivel stops the possibility of a large side load.
Thanks for the advice! I had recently read about the side loading problem and was planning on putting a few links in front of the swivel. It's interesting though that many of the swivels out today, like my stainless one, market themselves as being designed to connect directly to the anchor. I was convinced by the photos of sheared swivels in the anchoring book I read though, so I'll be adding the extra links. It's starting to look like a lot of extra links now though: Anchor, shackle, few links, shackle, swivel, chain....

I wonder if it is my winch, but it sure would be nice to go without the extra bits. Next time I try going without I'll do it in shallower water than last time though...

MedSailor

Old 09-04-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Med- I don't use a swivel with all chain. Rarely does the anchor not come right up into the roller and we anchor 90% of the time. Like Killarney, I think it untwists as it's coming up. A swivel is a weak spot and it's just the luck of the draw which way the anchor will be facing.
I just removed my suncor ss swivel over the weekend and used two shackels. This is what most people recommend. Like you say, I have heard nothing but bad things about using a swivel. Especially the ones made in China.
Regards

Last edited by casey1999; 09-04-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-04-2012
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road

In my area of Nova Scotia we have two tides a day that average close to 2 m. or 6 ft. Also a seabreeze every afternoon that is often different than the night breeze. I have 150' of 3/8" BBB galv. chain on a SL 1500 windlass and NO swivel. Never had a problem. I do use a SS twist shackle because my anchor roller is quite narrow and won't accomodate a regular anchor shackle (the pin jams). I suppose the SS promotes some rust in the first link of chain but I reckon I can just cut a link off if it becomes an issue.

Last edited by jimjazzdad; 09-04-2012 at 06:23 PM.