SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Does anyone know of a galvanized anchor swivel that will actually swivel? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/91561-does-anyone-know-galvanized-anchor-swivel-will-actually-swivel.html)

MedSailor 08-31-2012 01:30 PM

Does anyone know of a galvanized anchor swivel that will actually swivel?

I went to my local commercial fishing store and bought a nice, made in the USA, HUGE burly galvenized anchor swivel to replace this one which came with my boat:

http://www.boatersplus.com/images/de...354-182612.jpg

Only problem is that the first time I anchored with the new swivel it didn't swivel! This led to about 90min of swearing and muscling on the foredeck trying to get the twisted anchor chain on deck and then several hours of untwisting on deck. Urg! Back to stainless.

I don't like the stainless one for 2 reasons. It attaches with allen-head screws which are soft and are becoming rounded and impossible to to work with. Also the stainless causes my chain to rust. I cut a few links off every few years, but I don't want to have to do that.

So what brand of galvanized swivel will ACTUALLY SWIVEL??

MedSailor

tdw 08-31-2012 06:47 PM

Re: Does anyone know of a galvanized anchor swivel that will actually swivel?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MedSailor (Post 916466)
I went to my local commercial fishing store and bought a nice, made in the USA, HUGE burly galvenized anchor swivel to replace this one which came with my boat:

Only problem is that the first time I anchored with the new swivel it didn't swivel! This led to about 90min of swearing and muscling on the foredeck trying to get the twisted anchor chain on deck and then several hours of untwisting on deck. Urg! Back to stainless.

I don't like the stainless one for 2 reasons. It attaches with allen-head screws which are soft and are becoming rounded and impossible to to work with. Also the stainless causes my chain to rust. I cut a few links off every few years, but I don't want to have to do that.

MedSailor

I bought one from a New Zealand mob last year. Seemed to work fine. if I can find who it was that I got it from I'll post.

VallelyJ 09-01-2012 10:28 AM

You might solve the allen head problem by replacing the screws with SS hex-heads, maybe drilled for a SS safety wire.
Don't know about the galvanic problem--maybe a nylon bushing around the screw? Buy a bunch and replace them when they wear out.
JV

MastUndSchotbruch 09-01-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

MedSailor

Type 'anchor swivel' into the search engine on Defender or other online chandleries. This will give you tons of galvanized swivels. For instance, Crosby Swivel

MedSailor 09-01-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch (Post 916760)
Type 'anchor swivel' into the search engine on Defender or other online chandleries. This will give you tons of galvanized swivels. For instance, Crosby Swivel

I appreciate that, but I was looking for first hand advice since I already plonked down some coin for a good looking, made in the USA, one from a reputable store and ended up with a big headache.

In order to not make the same mistake twice I'm looking for one that someone can vouch for. Thanks for the advice though.

MedSailor

ParadiseParrot 09-01-2012 05:30 PM

Zinc leaves lumps .....Just spray your swivel with some wd-40 and manipulate it to smooth out the lumps I am sure the swivel you have will work fine.

killarney_sailor 09-03-2012 05:18 AM

Have you tried doing without the swivel? I don't use one and have not noticed any particular problems with chain getting tangled - and we are anchored a lot. When I hoist the anchor it seems to untwist on the way up. I let it hang below the roller for 30 seconds or so to make sure that it is untwisted..

MedSailor 09-03-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killarney_sailor (Post 917314)
Have you tried doing without the swivel? I don't use one and have not noticed any particular problems with chain getting tangled - and we are anchored a lot. When I hoist the anchor it seems to untwist on the way up. I let it hang below the roller for 30 seconds or so to make sure that it is untwisted..

I doubt that would go well especially considering how many hours of trouble it was when the swivel malfunctioned the one time. Here in the Pacific Northwest shifting tides are the norm and in the summer fluky shifting winds are the norm. We probably do 1-2 circles an hour around our anchor up here.

Kilarney, enjoy Indonesia! I lived there for a year and the people are fantastic!

MedSailor

svHyLyte 09-03-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

MedSailor

I would be very wary of the pictured swivel. Some friends with a sister-ship to ours had that exact swivel and reported that it split along the length of the inner barrel during routine use. The were anchoring a 22,000# (loaded) displacement yacht with 5/16" G4 chain and a 55# Rocna anchor. The yacht is now on the hard in Trini for hurricane season and they are back for a visit with split swivel in hand and that in not reassuring.

FWIW...

jrd22 09-03-2012 02:26 PM

Med- I don't use a swivel with all chain. Rarely does the anchor not come right up into the roller and we anchor 90% of the time. Like Killarney, I think it untwists as it's coming up. A swivel is a weak spot and it's just the luck of the draw which way the anchor will be facing.