Kerosene fueled grills? - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By TechEditor

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-24-2004 Thread Starter
e31

Kerosene fueled grills?

I am curious if anyone has used kerosene as a liquid fuel for cockpit grills. I have a kerosene galley stove and want to avoid propane storage (a fuel I don''t carry now)on the boat. With two small children, waiting for the charcoal to heat isn''t always desirable.

It seems straight forward to me, just add a spare kero burner in the bottom of the grill and have a layer of gas grill brickettes above the flame to spread the heat. I feel a backpacking stove''s fuel bottle and pump would be a good portable fuel tank.

Ok, I''m ready for holes to be shot in this idea...any takers?

Doug
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-24-2004

Kerosene fueled grills?

Doug,

I may be wrong, but my understanding of propane, butane and natural gas is they they burn relatively cleanly. Kerosene is essentially a form of diesel fuel, a petroleum product. These may do a fine job of cooking your food, but I imagine it would taste more like diesel fumes than the dinner it was intended to be. Just a thought.

Doug
post #3 of 10 Old 02-24-2004

Kerosene fueled grills?

Okay, other than the grease from your burgers dripping on the burner & fuel line I can''t think why your idea won''t work if properly executed. As a professional Fireman for thirty years the idea makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Most liquid fueled burners "prime" with some pressure (pump) than the fuel is vaporized prior to the burner, usually by a metal fuel line passing thru flame. It''s always the flammable vapors that burn because the "vapor pressure" is sufficient to support combustion,(consider the flame you would like to produce >10,000 BTU''s) propane does it at room temp.
I''ll sleep a lot better if you get some propane

post #4 of 10 Old 01-27-2017

Re: Kerosene fueled grills?

Food does not smell or taste of Kerosene when cooked over a Kerosene powered burner. There were 10's of millions of Kerosene powered stoves and ranges produced from 1910 - present. I have a small 2-burner in my Kitchen right now! New ones are still available in Berne Ind. at Swartz Mfg.
The only thing you need to do is place a gas grill style shield over the chimney(s) to keep grease from dripping down onto the wick. You will not need brickettes, the smoke generated by dripping grease on the grease shield produces the flavor, just like a modern gas grill, is all you will need.

Last edited by TechEditor; 01-27-2017 at 10:08 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-27-2017

Tech, you might want to look at the dates of these threads before posting. This is a 13 year old thread.

Catalina 34
post #6 of 10 Old 01-27-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
Tech, you might want to look at the dates of these threads before posting. This is a 13 year old thread.
And is the information provided by Tech's posting less correct for that reason?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-27-2017

If the Post is still searchable, then anybody can see the wrong answer. I was correcting it. Old or not, the info is still correct.
I use and restore Perfection stoves and heaters.
Rhapsody-NS27, CVAT and Minnesail like this.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-27-2017
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechEditor View Post
If the Post is still searchable, then anybody can see the wrong answer. I was correcting it. Old or not, the info is still correct.
I use and restore Perfection stoves and heaters.
What if the information is not correct, time-warped or not? Those kerosene stoves were for using pots and pans on, not barbecuing food. I'd like to see a picture of a kerosene-fired BBQ grill.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #9 of 10 Old 01-27-2017
One of None

OK then, let's get it correct, the new guy seems to be suggesting the "shield"

This is usually found on gas grilles this plate or shield has to get hot enough to vaporize / burn the oils from the food. It should work BUT if the kero burner was coked up or not up to temp the odor may find its way into the food.

I've never seen a kero fired grille

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #10 of 10 Old 01-27-2017
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechEditor View Post
Food does not smell or taste of Kerosene when cooked over a Kerosene powered burner. There were 10's of millions of Kerosene powered stoves and ranges produced from 1910 - present. I have a small 2-burner in my Kitchen right now! New ones are still available in Berne Ind. at Swartz Mfg.
The only thing you need to do is place a gas grill style shield over the chimney(s) to keep grease from dripping down onto the wick. You will not need brickettes, the smoke generated by dripping grease on the grease shield produces the flavor, just like a modern gas grill, is all you will need.
Yes food does not smell or taste of kero when cooked on a kerosene stovetop because it was in a pan, protected from the soot and fumes of the kerosene burner. Look at the bottom of the pans after cooking, there is quite a bit of soot, even from a properly set up burner on the bottom of the pan, and an oily film. Fine for things cooked in the pan, but on a grill it is directly exposed to the flame, or at least the fumes from the flame. I would certainly think your going to taste that, just like you do if you use too much lighter fluid or don't wait long enough after starting charcoal. Add to that a stiff breeze (the reason your out sailing) blowing past the stern rail and the burner will not exactly stay well tuned likely putting out more soot. Propane is pretty forgiving of air fuel mix, kerosene not so much. I can see it's use as a burner fine but not a grill.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.