Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-04-2012

flo617 is on a distinguished road
spinnaker size

Hello, I am contemplating getting an asymmetrical spinnaker for my boat.

My I is 34.5

I was contemplating a 33' luff from North Sails but according to my calculation 36 should work too.

I'm not looking to race, just to make the boat move properly in light wind. I want to get a sock as I usually sail shorthanded. I've read that this reduces the useable luff by about 2 feet.

Any recommendation on the luff length?

Thank you,

Florent

Columbia 29 MkII #221
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Re: spinnaker size

These are the "correct" dimensions for the sails, I would think you need the luff pretty close to the real one (and certainly no longer), so with a sock I guess you'd be looking at a 35ft luff? Your sailmaker should be able to help you though, it's what they are for
COLUMBIA 29 MkII (1966-67) Sailboat SailPlan Data and Sail Quoting System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-04-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

If you want a really easy to use sock, consider getting it one to two feet LESS than your "I" dimension. When you hoist a spinnaker in a sock, you hoist the sock first. If you "I" is 34.5 and you get a 36ft sock you will end up stepping on sock. Also, the socks I've used have the control lines at the bottom.

They're easier to use if you hoist the whole mess and can easily reach down to the bottom and start pulling on the lines. The sail will be a little smaller, but it'll still be the biggest sail on your boat by a huge margin. You can also alter your total sail area by specifying the cut of the spinnaker. There are lots of choices nowadays. Basically the more full it is at the head, the bigger it can be and the better downwind. The less full at the head, the more it looks like a giant nylon genoa and it will be smaller but better for sailing with the wind further forward.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 09-04-2012

Sorry, I meant that the sock forces to use a slightly shorter sail since it messes up the sail shape if there is not enough clearance on top
Old 09-04-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

A
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo617 View Post
Sorry, I meant that the sock forces to use a slightly shorter sail since it messes up the sail shape if there is not enough clearance on top
That is correct, you need a bit of space for the sock to bunch up. I believe some socks even have a strop or rod built in to them for this purpose.

Make sure you have planned out where you are going to fly the sail from before you size the sail. If you think you might want to use a sprit, make that decision before you order the sail. Once it is built there is no going back!
Hull#101
Old 09-04-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
spinnaker size

You want the chute shorter than the I. You need to be able to ease the halyard or raise the tack depending on wind angle and strength.
Old 09-04-2012

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

I ordered a sock this summer. The guy told me the sock should be about two feet shorter than the luff of the spinnaker. He was right. I've used it a couple times. Decided I didn't care for it much.
Old 09-04-2012

Thanks for the replies.

I've been offered a 15% discount for a 2year old unused sail with the "Cruising Direct" logo instead of the North logo. The salesman offered that because my color choice was not in stock.

Bad idea?
Old 09-04-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo617 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I've been offered a 15% discount for a 2year old unused sail with the "Cruising Direct" logo instead of the North logo. The salesman offered that because my color choice was not in stock.

Bad idea?
GOOD IDEA. As long as the sail is the right size/shape that you want. Cruising Direct is made by North.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 09-04-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I would go longer, if you want a bit less SA go narrower! That should allow you both downwind and some reaching ability.

Reality is, if trying to go downwind, make it as big as possible both length and width. Especially since you are not racing nor trying to fit a given size rule.

To get a bit better straight down wind performance, once you are used to it, get an actual spin pole, attach it to the tack, some lines attached to the pole, you can pul the tack to the opposite side of the main, and get some better performance downwind. We've been ding that racing, works pretty well. Allows us to get into the 160-170 range vs only 140 without.

I've also seen a few folks try to wing on wing and AS like a jib, but with out a pole on the clew, that makes for a hard way to work, as the AS will collapse, or the main will gybe if you are not being really careful. I actually find a 155 on a whisker pole to be better than winging an AS to a degree.

I would also look at the CS/north AS if it is the correct sizeing. BUT, there are a few places that are doing some 30% off if you order by 9-15 to 30 and wait until march for delivery. So if you are a northern east coaster, out of the water from Oct to march/april.......that could be a better deal yet! altho if you sail year around as I do......maybe not. THen again, the winds are typically a bit stronger in the winter........but we still get a lot of calm days here in the salish sea......just a few less in the winter than summer.

Marty

Marty

Tags
size , spinnaker