Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-04-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Getting intimate with my girls bottom

The boats of course, get your mind out of the gutter
Spent the last 4 days hauling, scraping, sanding and painting the bottom of Tangerine - there was actually almost no growth on her, not bad considering the bottom was last painted 2.5 years ago. Fun job but she's now got 2 coats all over, 4 coats along on the waterline and leading edges, 3 coats on the keel and rudder, and 3 coats over the front half. It was also rather great to find out that the doom and gloom of blisters that came up in the survey a few years ago actually just turned out to be blisters in the bottom paint. I opened them up and inside was a bit of water and nice shiny smooth gelcoat Should be good for a another couple of years.
Now just the deck and topsides to clean up. I'm also contemplating replacing the windows (another horrendous job), and taking off all the hardware and re-bedding it properly, plus sorting the brightwork. The lift at the marina is out of action until Saturday so I have a few evenings of work to get things done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Re: Getting intimate with my girls bottom

So what bottom paint did you use last time?
Old 09-05-2012

The PO painted it, the can he left was WM branded but I couldn't read most of the label. I used the same stuff this time around (or at least what I assume is the same stuff), CPP Plus, as it was on special a couple of months back.
When I had her hauled last spring, it was still looking fine so I didn't bother painting that year. Glad I did it this time though, it was starting to look a little rough. Our water up here is very cold so marine growth is relatively low. The only patch of critters was right on the bottom of the keel where I guess the block was when he painted. I tried to get a brush under this time, but without paying to have them lift and reposition, that will have to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
The PO painted it, the can he left was WM branded but I couldn't read most of the label. I used the same stuff this time around (or at least what I assume is the same stuff), CPP Plus, as it was on special a couple of months back.
When I had her hauled last spring, it was still looking fine so I didn't bother painting that year. Glad I did it this time though, it was starting to look a little rough. Our water up here is very cold so marine growth is relatively low. The only patch of critters was right on the bottom of the keel where I guess the block was when he painted. I tried to get a brush under this time, but without paying to have them lift and reposition, that will have to do.
Paint the bottom of the keel when it's in the slings prior to launch, the same time you paint the stand pad marks. I get my yard to put me in the slings the last thing on Saturday and launch first thing on Tuesday (next business day) so I have lots of time for that.

I wouldn't blame the WM bottom paint - it was almost certainly inadequate prep. If it was next to the gelcoat, they probably didn't clean the glass properly before applying the paint.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-05-2012

I got them to move the pads, so that is covered already, it's just the couple of square inches at the bottom of the keel so I'm not that bothered really.
The WM paint has performed excellently, and if this tin works as well then it's a real bargain (I paid under $100 for a gallon tin). Well, a bargain in relative terms anyway, $100 for a frikken tin of paint is still stupidly expensive. Can't complain, it's had 3 summers and 2 winters on it, about as "no-maintenance" as it gets in boat world.