12V Air Conditioning - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-05-2012 Thread Starter
S/V Jeanne Marie

12V Air Conditioning

My 120V AC is on its last legs and in keeping with trying to move everything to 12V I am considering replacing it with a 12V unit such as the one from Cruise N Comfort. Cruise N Comfort USA Marine Air Conditioning - Welcome This unit uses either 2 or three standard Danfoss compressors in a cascade arrangement to provide cooling. They are more expensive, and frankly the claims on the Cruise N Comfort site do not seem realistic.

Can anyone cite experience with 12V AC (or a previous thread)?

BTW I've had a hard time using the sailnet search function. You can imagine what a search for "Cruise N Comfort" returns, and there doesn't seem to be a boolean search option.

Thanks

Dennis

Dennis Templeton
S/V Jeanne Marie --- Morgan 51 cutter, Hull#1
Jackson Creek --- Deltaville, VA
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-05-2012

12V Air Conditioning

I have no help to offer on the AC but the trick to searching is using google. Add "site:sailnet.com" at the end of your google query. Much better than the built in search (this is true of most websites).
post #3 of 5 Old 09-05-2012

Re: 12V Air Conditioning

If you are only planning on cooling one small cabin, it's worth looking into. You will probably have to ramp up your battery bank to accomodate it.

Catalina 34
post #4 of 5 Old 09-05-2012
Banned

Max. BTU: 4000
Input Voltage: 12 Volts DC
Power consumption: low 18 amps high 35 amps ( Each setting can be manually selected or set to Automatically set)

You are not going to realisticly run this on batteries alone for long. A genset will need to be going. So going 12 is buying nothing. There market for this seems to be powerboats with power to spare from the engines.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-05-2012
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtempleton View Post
My 120V AC is on its last legs and in keeping with trying to move everything to 12V I am considering replacing it with a 12V unit such as the one from Cruise N Comfort. Cruise N Comfort USA Marine Air Conditioning - Welcome This unit uses either 2 or three standard Danfoss compressors in a cascade arrangement to provide cooling. They are more expensive, and frankly the claims on the Cruise N Comfort site do not seem realistic.

Can anyone cite experience with 12V AC (or a previous thread)?

BTW I've had a hard time using the sailnet search function. You can imagine what a search for "Cruise N Comfort" returns, and there doesn't seem to be a boolean search option.

Thanks

Dennis
Ignore the SailNet search function it is rubbish. Use google and you'll find that SailNet answer will pop up anyway.

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.