Hurrican Prep - I found a swivel - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 09-05-2012 Thread Starter

Hurrican Prep - I found a swivel

So far we have been pretty lucky with the storms this year in NC. But my preparation plans continue. Last year, for Irene, I anchored up our creek, with some protection from open wind, to 2 anchors and 2 trees. I tied the boat fore and aft with the 4 lines and it could not swing, it did fine even when one anchor rode chaffed thru. As I have mentioned in another hurricane anchoring thread, I would like to allow the boat to swing, but I have been reluctant to use a swivel as it is a single point of potential failure. Well while visiting a local marine consignment store I think I found a swivel I will feel comfortable with.

It is a Crosby 22 and may have actually been a swivel for a crane. On their website it is rated at a 4.5 ton safe load (it could likely be used to lift my 35' sailboat). The picture shows it with a new 5/8" rode, eye and shackle for size comparison; the center pin is nearly an inch in diameter. It weighs around 10 lbs, I approve of over sized ground tackle. And given that I will probably only use it a couple of days a year, the $15 price was right.

Now I just have to figure out exactly how to configure the 4 lines to my anchor points and redundant lines to the boat. I purchased a good size shackle (shown on the left) that will help me connect these lines to the swivel, a few more of these may be what I need.

I know it looks a bit unconventional, but I think it will work. Any comments?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-06-2012 Thread Starter

Re: Hurrican Prep - I found a swivel

Questions:
IF I use a 10:1 scope for storm surge I assume that is from the anchors to the boat not just to the swivel? ( I can use chain from the 2 anchors to the swivel as I have 65' on each, but I will use 3/4" line from the tree to the swivel as that is what I have)

Should I use different dimensions lines from the swivel to the boat to provide shock relief (perhaps 3 strand nylon 1/2" line with 5/8" line backup that is longer)?

Now that I have more of a mooring setup (no longer fore and aft) maybe a line to one tree is sufficient (does the redundant tree line cause more potential for fouling than it is worth)?

I have a 25 lb CQR with short (10') of chain, would that be a good 'deadweight' to keep the swivel from moving around too much (or am I overthinking this)?

thanks,
Ron
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.