Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: spare anchor

Chef,

This is all supposed to be casual entertainment. I try not to take much of it very seriously, vendor claimed or otherwise. I just like escaping mentally into sailing. When I pick up a good idea, andni often do, I always check it out independently anyway.

I don't much care how SN runs their hotel, I'm just having a drink with like mind people in the lobby and watching the world go by. I forget what we said half the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
This is all supposed to be casual entertainment. I try not to take much of it very seriously, vendor claimed or otherwise. I just like escaping mentally into sailing. When I pick up a good idea, andni often do, I always check it out independently anyway. -Minniewaska
Minnie, I respect your comment and opinions. I recognize that your outlook is shared by others also.

In our integrated society where ideas and free speech abound mine is but one of many. While I respect your opnion not to get to serious about this internet thing, I am sure that you would respect mine as you have in the past. There are others I am sure who have similar questions. The fact that I am asking these questions does not take away from my passion for sailing or make me too serious about this as you may be stating.

In my three questions, one of them is that I would like to know what is happening to my information on this site, a question which many people ask in todays world. Not unreasonable a questions and certainly not to serious of one.

We still need to have that margarita together. Sorry you wont be down this year for the sailboat show in Annapolis. Guess it may have to wait till we come up north again during next years long Island sound vacaction.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-14-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Ritas always are waiting. Enjoy the show.

You ask a good question about demo data. Other than an email address, I don't recall how much demo data SN actually has.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-14-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

WHAT? You only carry two anchors? Do you really do any cruising?
Old 09-15-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

To the OP:

I think there are several good choices depending on your specific needs. For starters, since it's a stern anchor/backup anchor I would think that storage would be an issue. Do you have a stern roller or pulpit to hang it off? Will it permanently mounted, ready to deploy off the stern? Will you be getting it out of the lazarette locker and manhandling it into a dinghy to kedge out? All of these issues should help you narrow down the field of anchors that will work well for you.

My experience and disclaimers: I'm a big fan of the genuine Bruce and don't believe in cheap Lewmar copies. I've used the Fortress and Bruce extensively in the PNW as well. I also have a Mantus anchor (primary) that was given to me at a pro-deal discount that I plan to test shortly.

I would say the Bruce would work very well for you if you have a stern roller and will be stowing it there permanently. It's a great anchor for the PNW but it's awkward to move around and difficult to stow unless on a roller.

The Fortress is probably the best choice because it is the lightest, stows well on a pulpit or in a locker, and works well in the sand/mud that covers 95%+ of the PNW. It's also designed to only need 6' of chain which is usually a plus on the auxiliary anchors. The main failing of the fortress is that it might not reset if pulled from a different direction but this is very unlikely if used as a stern anchor.

Another good choice is the Manus. Assuming it is as good as the other next gen anchors Spade/Rocna/Manson it has the advantage over the other three of being able to be disassembled for storage.

My secondarym kedge and my stern anchors are Fortress anchors for the reasons stated above.

MedSailor
Old 09-16-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

This really relates to the “Let's talk about anchors some more” thread on the Seamanship forum but as the issue is being discussed here, this is where I thought I would post.

It makes me suspicious when I see a new member, Alternate Latitude, who has one post, praising Mantus, especially when there are certain things within that post that don't quite sound "right" … so, as I can’t go sailing right now, I though I’d look a little closer.

S S of Alternate Latitude used to own of a medical equipment supply company.
Greg is a physician.

One of S S business addresses is Seabrook, TX 77586
Mantus address is PO Box 1109, Seabrook, TX 77586 (BTW it always makes me nervous when a commercial entity only uses a PO Box as an address).

I’m also a bit curious about red.sky. Joined Sailnet – 3 Mantus posts & 1 Mantus “like” - hasn’t posted since. Races in Galviston Bay and lists himself as a NASA Engineer. Guess where NASA’s Johnson Space Center is. Anyone guess Seabrook, TX? He’s been lurking so I wonder if he’ll post something else now I’ve drawn attention to him.

Hmmmmm!! Well, maybe it’s all just coincidence. What do you think?

And I also remembered something else…
From this forum: “We are going to offer a new promotion 25% off any anchor you buy for the next month only for SAILNET members.”

But at that time there was an offer already available and active on another forum: “Dear members of the ******** Forum, Mantus Anchors is offering 25% off all our anchors for members of this forum”

Hardly criminal but “only for SAILNET members” is somewhat disingenuous, don’t you think?

Opinions? Am I completely off base?

EDITED BY CD: Removed Personal Info

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 09-17-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2012

Welcome to the brave new world. Advertising has is going to find its way to your front door no matter what.

It was just easier to tell that is was an ad before and we knew to assume it was exaggeration or paid testimonial. How much does the guy get that says he loves his adult diapers on TV?

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 09-16-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Geoff54,

Thanks for yor research. Beginning to sound more and more suspicious if what you printed can be confirmed. I remember another anchor being vilified here for misrepresenting facts and themselves, which certainly was sped along by the companies arrogant main poster it's president. He was confrontational.

Now obviously these posters have learned from that mistake and a much better sweet talking and not making negative references as of yet bout their competitors so they have become ok in a lot of people's books.

I ask the mods again....has this company been checked out to see if it and it's claims re legit or are we TS king they are at face value because they are a paying advertiser ?

Secondly I am asking what,how much and who our information is shared with, and is it shared with paid advertisers on SailNet

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-16-2012

Mike Banks is on a distinguished road

I have no idea of the type of conditions you experience in the Pacific North West, but if your vessel is over forty feet might I suggest you already have a good spare anchor. What you do not have is an adequate bower anchor capable of holding you firmly and safely while riding out a storm. My vessel is a light trimaran weighing about seven or eight tons loaded--and my main bower anchor is a 60 pounds Manson on 100 metres of short link chain--with a further hundred metres of 20mm hard nylon rode to follow that of the water depth necessitates it. I get to sleep soundly at night when at anchor--but I do use an anchor release rope and float in case it does foul something on the bottom. In reef waters we have some things that take big bites and tiny things with fatal stings.
Old 09-17-2012

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
This really relates to the “Let's talk about anchors some more” thread on the Seamanship forum but as the issue is being discussed here, this is where I thought I would post.

It makes me suspicious when I see a new member, Alternate Latitude, who has one post, praising Mantus, especially when there are certain things within that post that don't quite sound "right" … so, as I can’t go sailing right now, I though I’d look a little closer.

S S of Alternate Latitude used to own of a medical equipment supply company.
Greg is a physician.
One of S S business addresses is Seabrook, TX 77586
Mantus address is PO Box 1109, Seabrook, TX 77586 (BTW it always makes me nervous when a commercial entity only uses a PO Box as an address).

I’m also a bit curious about red.sky. Joined Sailnet – 3 Mantus posts & 1 Mantus “like” - hasn’t posted since. Races in Galviston Bay and lists himself as a NASA Engineer. Guess where NASA’s Johnson Space Center is. Anyone guess Seabrook, TX? He’s been lurking so I wonder if he’ll post something else now I’ve drawn attention to him.

Hmmmmm!! Well, maybe it’s all just coincidence. What do you think?

And I also remembered something else…
From this forum: “We are going to offer a new promotion 25% off any anchor you buy for the next month only for SAILNET members.”

But at that time there was an offer already available and active on another forum: “Dear members of the ******** Forum, Mantus Anchors is offering 25% off all our anchors for members of this forum”

Hardly criminal but “only for SAILNET members” is somewhat disingenuous, don’t you think?

Opinions? Am I completely off base?
S S is a customer that wanted to help out and when he asked how he can help I suggested that we had some success with SAILNET and if he could write something on the forum I would appreciate it, the fact that he joined just to do that, well I think I will send him a gift
He is actually a really cool captain with a newly outfitted Catamaran Voyager 44. He is looking for crew to take the boat to the BVI if any one is interested.

Red Sky is an engineer at NASA, its actually a "SHE" who does consulting for Mantus and I disclosed it on Sailnet. See My posts about the bolts.

The first Deal we posted was "get the next size up for the price of this one"

After it expired we offered 25% off for one month only. We gave this offer to the Cruisers Forum as well. We were trying to get movement in the forums because its one of the few venues available to us for advertisement.

I hope this answers all the points....

Guys we have nothing to hide and we don't play dirty.....
We are a small privately owned company, I am an Emergency medicine doctor by trade and make my living working my day job, actually have to get up in 4 hours.
Anchor design was a hobby, I like solving puzzles and I wanted to make an anchor that has better setting ability than what's out there.
I am not here to full anyone, I just believe in this baby that's all.
You guys enjoy it out there and don't take life to seriously......!
BTW SAILNET is a great community and so far it has been a pleasure dealing with you guys! In fact this forum is where this company got its start!!!!
So thank you
Greg

EDITED BY CD: Removed Personal Info

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 09-17-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Tags
anchors