Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road
Re: spare anchor

Welcome back from the dark side - I guess?
'Strongly suggest that you remove your home address - not a good idea - you never know who is looking - seriously.
Geoff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Med,

I know you are north of me a bit, Anacortes vs Edmonds, if you can figure out the soil type you are anchored in, let us know that too!

My personal bias is NOT to use a danforth style around here, as I have had more issues of the not setting than the bruce I use. I will admit, the fast set did a good job in the conditions I have used it one time. My lewmar bruce knockoff worked well at that place too, some others with danforth styles have had some issues. It is harder sand at this place.

My personal asking, is I have toyed with going to a slightly bigger main anchor than what I have, a main anchor frankly that is boltable for my usage might be a good thing. then again, maybe not...........Since I race most of the time, tie up to docks, a BIG anchor below is added ballast......but that is another issue that some do not want to address for they want BIG ANCHOR! or chain or some other issue.....LOLOL

Marty
Old 09-18-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Med,

I know you are north of me a bit, Anacortes vs Edmonds, if you can figure out the soil type you are anchored in, let us know that too!

My personal bias is NOT to use a danforth style around here, as I have had more issues of the not setting than the bruce I use. I will admit, the fast set did a good job in the conditions I have used it one time. My lewmar bruce knockoff worked well at that place too, some others with danforth styles have had some issues. It is harder sand at this place.

My personal asking, is I have toyed with going to a slightly bigger main anchor than what I have, a main anchor frankly that is boltable for my usage might be a good thing. then again, maybe not...........Since I race most of the time, tie up to docks, a BIG anchor below is added ballast......but that is another issue that some do not want to address for they want BIG ANCHOR! or chain or some other issue.....LOLOL

Marty

Good point Marty about the setting issue. I had almost forgotten about how much of an "art" setting the fortress can be. The Bruce has set for me in the PNW water in what seems to be a shank length or two, never more. The fortress on the other hand I have drug around trying to get it set. I also dived on it once and found it laying flat on top of the soft mud surface!

Say what they will about the Bruce not working well in soft mud. It wouldn't have been just sitting there, flat on top with it's thumb up it's fluke!

If storage isn't an issue than I'd say Bruce would be my recommendation to the OP based on the local area and on my personal experience. On the other hand, I've heard enough about the next generation anchors that they seem like a good choice too. I've got one now (Mantus) so we'll see if I convert to the new religion....

MedSailor

PS Marty are you racing in Edmonds on Oct 6? I will be down there on that day and if you're really interested in seeing the Mantus in person I could bring it down to you to have a gander at. Since it comes apart, it would be no trouble to put it in the car and it would be a good excuse to meet a sailnetter in person. That is IF any of you are actually real.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-18-2012

Oh yeah, will be racing! along with who knows what other stuff I need to do to get the party going, handing out purchased t-shirts friday afternoon at the marina as boats come in etc. I'll be in start two more than likely. ie FS short course. Where I have been the last 5 or 6 yrs.
Are you racing? if so what boat?

Marty
Old 09-18-2012
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Are you racing? if so what boat?

Marty
I'll be on S/V Magician. You'll be able to identify us as our name is clearly printed on our transom. You may need binoculars though.

MedSailor
skygazer likes this.

Old 09-18-2012

well, get yourself registered, as of now that boat is not!

Registered Boats:

-105 Dragonfly

39 Eye Candy

54 First Light

57 Starblazer

72 Great White

81 Different Drummer

84 Taking Stock

90 Calypso

93 Dulcinea

93 Last Tango

117 Kiwi Express

123 Xcentric

135 Mistral

156 Izzara

156 JPeg

168 Kyrie

171 Sea Trek II

174 Cheetah

183 Sans Souci

195 Amoretto

222 Days Off

228 Sweet Jesus

237 Bandit, 243 Bingo

The 195 and 168 rated boats are SN members, along with literally across from ea other on E dock!

Marty
Old 09-18-2012
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
well, get yourself registered, as of now that boat is not!

Marty
Hmmmm..... Email to our captain has been sent. Perhaps he was too busy planning out superior strategy to register.

I also notice that our long time nemesis "Scotch & Soda" hasn't registered either. Maybe since the enemy isn't registered he hasn't either.

MedSailor

To the rest of sailnet: Yes I know we're taking this thread for a ride. It's not the first time it's happened though.

Old 09-18-2012

scotch and soda........hmmmmmmm yes I know that boat. He's beat me, I've beat him.......grrrrrrrrrr........prefer the drink! light air a cat 30 seems to get me, heavy air I do better. If you are FS, same div as me, NFS you will be in div 1 with Kyrie/deodenja, unless he is doing fs, in which case he would be in div3 more than likely.

Maybe mr frog should show up in his hunter! if he is not too far away, one of the more fun races in the sound!

Marty
Old 09-18-2012

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Greg,

Thank you for posting and answering the questions. I appreciate your candor . I will be following up tomorrow over the phone to you. As I posted the idea of a new generation type anchor which can be stored and is made of good quality were of prime importance to me.

I noticed you were not on the list of vendors at the Annapolis Sailboat show in a few weeks. Will you be represented there?

Dave
We started the process late and are on the waiting list for a Booth.....
I will let you guys know if we can squeeze in, definitely coming in the spring.
We will be at the Texas Coast Boat Show Oct 12-14 and Harvest Moon Regatta in Port Aransas.
Greg
Old 09-20-2012

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road

What anchors to carry? The issue is that different anchors have different strengths. From what I've seen there are three overall types with variations.
Plow/delta/bruce etc. These anchors work in a variety of bottoms and reset more quickly than other types.
Danforth/Fortress etc. These have, by far, the greatest holding power for their weight but need to be in sand or mud bottoms.
Fishermans/Northhill These anchors can set in a rocky bottom and punch into kelp. They tend to be heavy and run the risk of the anchor line wrapping the anchor stock when the boat swings.

You can find anchors cheaply at consignment places.
I carry one of each type. My regular hook is a Bruce which I use in anchorages at shorter scopes. My Fortress is also on the bow as a ready stand-by and for sandy bottoms. Stowed away is a folding Northill if I have to anchor in a rocky bottom. I also carry an old Danforth which I can hook in series with the fortress if I ever get stuck in reeeeely high winds. I think it's important to look at the rode and the cleating so that they are all up to what load the anchor can carry. I did the numbers and found the deck cleat wasn't up to what it would take in a blow.
Cal-29

Tags
anchors

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.