Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-11-2012

Windkiller is on a distinguished road
Re: sewing machine advice

I have a nice pfaff 130 I got for $30 it was set up and sold to me by a retired sewing machine mechanic. I have the manual and it's pretty easy to adjust and maintain. Also there's a whole forum!
I just used it to resew a genoa that I cut about 6" of sun damage off of the leech and foot and then resewed it (I unpicked the whole cornerpatch and reattached it).It worked like a charm and I'm definitely an amateur. The sail looks good and works great. Happily it was a little large for my boat so the size reduction was just right. A lot of the older Pfaffs are up to the job and they're built to last!
There's a lady who supports her families cruising by doing sail repairs with a 130
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2012

MarkCK is on a distinguished road

It sounds like the sailrite is probably the best options. I haven't found any stellar deals on any of the Pfaffs or Singers. I am sure if I keep an eye out on Craigslist I would eventually find one but everyone' other argument on the sailrite makes up the difference. My parents have an old sewing machine that is probably of decent quality that I cane use for the time being that i can at least learn on. It's more of the household variety but I will post pictures of it the next time I can get up there to look at it. Then someone can tell me what I have.
Old 09-11-2012

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road

MarkCK,

Also post the make and model.

Getting a Pfaff 130 for $30 is a real deal. Pfaff 130 sewing machines in resent craigslist posting in this area are usually offered for $200+. Mine sold quickly for $250, but there were extras.

As for service for a Pfaff 130, I thought this manual was quite good. I bought a soft copy on eBay.

Pfaff 130 Service Manual (Printed Full Color) | eBay

Of course, no affiliation of any kind.
Old 09-11-2012

emoney is on a distinguished road

At the risk of being redundant, find a local "sewing machine repair shop". I found a 60's Singer for $35.00 and it seemed like the store owner felt guilty for pricing it "that high", lol. It's heavy, but sews leather like it was cotton. It's made 24 cushions so far and still purrs like a kitten. Plus, when you're done with sail repair & cushion making, they serve as a great platform for winding your own electric guitar pickups.
Old 09-11-2012

MarkCK is on a distinguished road

My parents had this old machine that hasn't been used in years. I think it is a 1970's vintage if not older. Can anyone tell me what I have. I haven't plugged it in yet but if it works it ought to be good enough to at least practice on for a while. It probably isn't stout enough to go through sunbrella.
Attached Thumbnails
sewing machine advice-1.jpg   sewing machine advice-3.jpg   sewing machine advice-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 09-11-2012

emoney is on a distinguished road

Definitely a 70s machine. This was when they had switched to the plastic cases. Sadly, it's probably not stout enough for very thick fabric, but it's awesome for honing your skills and the only thing it won't go through is whatever you try.
Old 09-11-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCK View Post
My parents had this old machine that hasn't been used in years. I think it is a 1970's vintage if not older. Can anyone tell me what I have. I haven't plugged it in yet but if it works it ought to be good enough to at least practice on for a while. It probably isn't stout enough to go through sunbrella.
It depends on how many layers of sunbrella you intend to sew together. You will
need the biggest needle that fits the machine. Start with two layers and work your way up to six. I think 4 layers is the majority of sewing cushions, the layers being side, top, and two layers for the cording. All that can go wrong is to break the machine but more than likely knock it out of timing.
Old 09-11-2012

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road

Above is the Singer we started with and still use for some things. It is a 99....

Sew-Classic Blog: Classic Singer 99 Vintage Sewing Machine Review

....and pretty capable. No walking foot, but you can still accomplish about anything you want with it within reason. Ruth ....

....modified the pop-top (blue canvas) that came with our Mac. The only problem is that these usually aren't cheap, but you might find one that someone has and they don't know the value,

Sum