SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   sewing machine advice (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/91788-sewing-machine-advice.html)

MarkCK 09-06-2012 12:27 PM

sewing machine advice

I am in the process of purchasing a sewing machine for some winter projects. I will start small and go from there. In a second hand shop here in town there is a machine called a TacSew that was originally to be used in an upholstery shop. It looks barely used and comes with a table to mount it on. As near as I can tell the only controls on it is a fast/slow knob and and on/off switch. Will this machine do different kinds of stitching. Also on another downside the machine is run off of a small motor underneath the sewing machine. The guys is asking $300 for it, but I think he is subject to taking quite a bit less. I tried to load some pictures but I kept getting an error message saying I had a security token issue.

On another note Defender has a Reliable Barracuda Sewing Machine
listed for sale at a decent price. How does this machine stack up to a sailrite.

Captainmeme 09-06-2012 12:50 PM

Re: sewing machine advice

The model number would be nice. Also where is this machine located? Do you have the phone number of the store? Do you think he would ship UPS to me? TacSew are industrial grade.

I like the barracuda. It's a zigzag walking foot with reverse. Price is attractive to boot. I'd want a case for it. The handcrank is nice but IMHO is way over priced. You might want to read the reviews at Amazon.com on this machine.

captflood 09-06-2012 12:52 PM

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS :- Great one yes but ask at the shop is it working and can you runa peice of cloth through to see how it goes normaly they say yes. At one stage I had seven sewing machines all set up to do different jobs for the boats we owend they where all domestics with more powerfull motors and different drive belts on KEEP YOUR HANDS SAFE AND AWAY FROM THE SHARP BITS Experiment and enjoy AS ALWAYS GO SAFE. AND GGOD LUCK.

MarkCK 09-06-2012 01:12 PM

It did run. I plugged it in yesterday and it ran. As much as I hate to give out a number to help someone buy something I am looking at I doubt that it is what I am looking for. The machine is on Commerical St in Springfield MO. The store is called Furniture and More. The owners name is Joe, he gave me his cell #417 224 0887 and said to call and make an offer. I have no idea about shipping, it was kind of a mom pop type shop and he was sellling it for a friend. I have some pics that I can email you. I tried loading them on here but kept getting error messages.

SeaQuinn 09-06-2012 01:21 PM

I was on your quest a few years ago and ended up buying a sailrite. One of the big reasons is the support. Plus it was new and guaranteed to work. It has definitely earned its keep and been a great experience as I have used it for sunbrella and leather. I have a couple of other home sewing machines that I use for lighter fabrics.

Waltthesalt 09-06-2012 01:33 PM

You'll need zig-zag feature and the abi8lity to sue close up to beading. Having a large spindle threasd capacity is also handy. If sewing tough fabrics like sunbrella it's best to have commercial heavy duty. I just about broke my wife's high quality home machine when punching thru six layers.

TejasSailer 09-06-2012 01:38 PM

MarkCK,

Is the TacSew model number T111-155? If so, apparently it is similar to the Singer 111W155 which is a compound (both bottom-feed also called drop-feed, and top-feed also called needle feed) walking foot (alternating pressure-foot) sewing machine.

As for pictures, upload them to phtobucket.com and post the link here.

Running a machine with a motor below the machine has the advantage of being able to change out what is probably a clutch motor for a servo motor that gives much more control.

MarkCK 09-06-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TejasSailer (Post 918830)
MarkCK,

Is the TacSew model number T111-155? If so, apparently it is similar to the Singer 111W155 which is a compound (both bottom-feed also called drop-feed, and top-feed also called needle feed) walking foot (alternating pressure-foot) sewing machine.

As for pictures, upload them to phtobucket.com and post the link here.

Running a machine with a motor below the machine has the advantage of being able to change out what is probably a clutch motor for a servo motor that gives much more control.

That number looks familiar. I just stored a few photos in my email account. I get get the rest of numbers when i get home.

Pictures by MarkCK - Photobucket

TejasSailer 09-06-2012 03:41 PM

I've never actually seen one, but the machine pictured in you photobucket album might be a blindstitch machine, perhaps not the same model but something such as pictured in the link below. The model numer seems to be T1718.

Tacsew T1718-4 Full Size BlindStitch Hemmer Machine 1718 TAIWAN, 8mmLift 3-8mmSL CylinderArm SkipStitch CurveNeedle KneeLever SetUp PowerStand 2500SPM at AllBrands.com

Would you please post your applications -- marine canvas, sails, .... A blindstitch machine might not be what you want.

MarkCK 09-06-2012 04:02 PM

I was planning on starting with some simple canvas projects. Covers for my winches, and possible make a cover for my sunfish. At some point I figured I might make a storm sail or something along those lines. Nothing fancy, mostly I was looking for a learning project and see where I go from there.