Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012

sailortrash is on a distinguished road
Re: Let the fun begin

I'm guessing that this project is going to cost big there is no doubt about that. I am figuring that it will take about 3 years in total at 1 weekend a month. Of course there will be times I spend more time on it so I am hoping that I will finish it sooner but I am planning on enjoying it more than just working on it. As far as cost goes I know enough to not even take a guess. You never know how much a boat will cost you until you finish.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

A three year project can get old along the way. It may be better to buy one closer to the condition you prefer. If your logic is to buy cheap and fix 'er up, those are rarely cheaper in the end. Hit the lottery rare.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
A three year project can get old along the way. It may be better to buy one closer to the condition you prefer. If your logic is to buy cheap and fix 'er up, those are rarely cheaper in the end. Hit the lottery rare.
The boat will not take 3 years to be in good shape. More like 2-6 months but there are a lot of modifications I want to do in order to have my ideal boat. I can not afford a boat in the shape and cruising trim that i want. My other reason for taking on this project is to learn more and be a whole lot more self sufficient when it comes to repair and I have no one to do it but me. Also I want to know the boat inside and out That way I know every part and can easily tell if something is not right. I want to know all her strengths and weaknesses. Sailing is truly my dream and passion and I want to do it now. It has been 11 years since I had my own boat and I am just not as happy on land. Sure I could save my money for a few more years and get a nicer better equipped vessel but it would not be as nice or as well equipped as this one when I am finished. I know this is going to cost a fortune but not nearly as much as buying a decent house and I would rather have the boat anyway. I learned long ago to do it when you can because you damn sure won't when you can't.
Old 09-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a reasonable plan and I like the idea of getting to know your boat. I try to do each maintenance item at least once. I do all my own winterization and commissioning. That gets you close and personal.

On the other hand, I have many things still on my improvement list from several years ago. I don't get to them, because of the all too common unplanned expenditures. For example, I now need a new $3,000 turbo. Ugh. That will delay the list again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Sounds like a reasonable plan and I like the idea of getting to know your boat. I try to do each maintenance item at least once. I do all my own winterization and commissioning. That gets you close and personal.

On the other hand, I have many things still on my improvement list from several years ago. I don't get to them, because of the all too common unplanned expenditures. For example, I now need a new $3,000 turbo. Ugh. That will delay the list again.
Perfect example of why I think this project is going to take about three years. Water maker roller furlings genset and new sails will cost me more than 20 grand alone. Oh well cost of living my dream as far as I see it.
Old 09-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortrash View Post
....Water maker roller furlings genset and new sails will cost me more than 20 grand alone.
Only if you buy right, maybe even cut corners, and do all the work yourself will you get away anywhere near that cheap for those four items on a 40 footer. Just a full sail compliment could cost all of that.

All the best on the survey. Be sure to ask the remaining useful life of the expensive stuff, like standing rigging. It may pass and not be mentioned, but you will want to know if you're dumping $10k into that in the next three years too.

Cheers to joining the club.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 09-10-2012
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am about to buy a 40 stevens as long as the survey checks out.

[...]

To be honest this job and this entire boat project is a bit scary to me.
Holy guacamole Batman, one of these: STEVENS 40 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com ??

(mentally adds boat to future 42-foot world-cruiser option list)

Nice boat. Send pics.

If experience from an ancient 25 footer is relevant (open question here) - if it will sail safely, and the price is really really right, go for it. As long as you're sailing, the longer timeframe to get things to bristol isn't so bad...
Old 09-10-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Beautiful, but just too damned much boat for me.

Too much initial expense.
Too much maintenance expense.
Too much dockage expense.
Too much operating expense.
Too much complexity.

30, maybe 35 feet is where it's at, especially if you actually want to sail the boat. Especially for a single liveaboard. Husband/wife team? Sure, now it makes sense.

I'm not dissing you, it's just my personal preference. Good luck to you.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 09-11-2012
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito:919615
Assuming you do need to repaint your deck, know that it will be a lot of work. Keep reading and asking questions. You will gradually pick up skills you need to take care of your boat. Regarding doing a big job on your boat: If possible, have your boat as near to where you live as possible, and have some protection from the elements (indoor storage would be ideal). I have painted the deck of both the boats I have owned, and tho physically improbable, it both sucked and blowed at the same time. But, looks good now.
Hey Cirque....I will be doing same soon and "sucked and blwd at same got me in stiches and cramps don't ya know! THANKS it willimprove morale throughout the job!!
Chris

morgan 24
Old 09-11-2012
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Perfect example of why I think this project is going to take about three years. Water maker roller furlings genset and new sails will cost me more than 20 grand alone. Oh well cost of living my dream as far as I see it.
I think you are making a mistake with you plans, this is an old boat and will always be old. If you plan to spend the rest of your life polishing and preening all your hard work, turning an old boat into a masterpiece then that costs lots of money which it sounds like you don't have (its quite a big club.) It is an old boat clean it up paint what needs to be painted replace what needs to be replaced but keep it simple. The quote to paint my topsides was in the vicinity of $15k I ended up rolling on two coats of poly 2 pac that was 2 years ago and still looks good from 30 feet total cost $380. I have bumped docks, had the anchor bang the side and bum boats have bumped and scuffed when coming along side, and it does not matter one iota I can touch it up next haul out, but had I spent the 15k I would be one angry cruiser worrying about anyone coming within cooee of my paint job.
As for sails and furler that should be no more than 10K for good cruising sails and a Profurl. Water maker, first thing is do you need it, there are only a few places that water can be a problem and most of them are in the pacific. Why do you need a generator; solar, wind and a good alternator is all I and lots of other cruisers use. The trick to getting out there and doing it is minimization.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Last edited by SimonV; 09-11-2012 at 12:53 AM.