SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Let the fun begin (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/91817-let-fun-begin.html)

sailortrash 09-07-2012 06:42 AM

Let the fun begin

I had no idea on where exactly to post this, so I decided to post it where my skill set was weakest. I am about to buy a 40 stevens as long as the survey checks out. I have been a professional sailor for almost 13 years and although I have sailed alot I have only owned 2 sailboats of my own. One was a 38 farr design and the other was a 19 compac. I was fortunate with both in that they gave me very little problems and mainly enjoyed them. I have done a fair amount of work on boats but I am realizing that I am not a cruiser I am a sailor. I have mostly crewed on other people's boats and was not responsible for the every day maintaining of the vessels. I realize that I can do it but I am definitely going to have a learning curve when it comes to the new boat. I really am going to have to gain more knowledge when it comes to boat yard style work. To be honest I am going to have to paint the deck and rebed the hardware. To be honest this job and this entire boat project is a bit scary to me. Any time In the past that I have done this kind of work on a boat I have had some one much more knowledgeable than I telling me how and what to do. I am not used to being the one in charge in this type of boating situation. Though I am very thankful for this website and others like it. I know this is going to be a BIG project and i know I will learn alot but This is what I want to do. I like to tinker and I love being on the water. I really don't want a house. I feel like a kid waiting for christams. Thanks in advance to everyone for any help or advice that I am going to get. I know I am going to need it.
Jared

Minnewaska 09-07-2012 07:47 AM

Re: Let the fun begin

Congratulations on the new boat, assuming the survey goes well. Assuming you are handy and just not experienced, you will pick up everything you need to know in time. You should be there for the survey and learn from the surveyor what you should focus on, whether they are items that impact the sale or not.

Thanks to our own MaineSail, who regularly posts here, you should bookmark this following website. It is extremely good at showing you how to do many of the basics, including rebedding the hardware. However, you don't necessarily have to fill and redrill every hole. It depends on condition and whether they are already bed properly. Get used to every project taking twice as long and costing twice as much as you expect and you'll stay sane. Have fun. Many love the satisfaction of working on their boats.

Compass Marine "How To" Articles Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

LessTacksing 09-07-2012 09:24 AM

Subscribing to Good Old Boat may help.

arf145 09-07-2012 11:09 AM

I'm curious why you think you will need to paint the deck. Was it painted before?

CalebD 09-07-2012 03:01 PM

Congrats.
I'll second Minnewaska's link: Compass Marine "How To" Articles Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
Perhaps the best 'how-to' website related to boats.

Barquito 09-07-2012 09:58 PM

Assuming you do need to repaint your deck, know that it will be a lot of work. Keep reading and asking questions. You will gradually pick up skills you need to take care of your boat. Regarding doing a big job on your boat: If possible, have your boat as near to where you live as possible, and have some protection from the elements (indoor storage would be ideal). I have painted the deck of both the boats I have owned, and tho physically improbable, it both sucked and blowed at the same time.:D But, looks good now.

CalebD 09-08-2012 12:19 AM

Lots of things about boats both suck and blow.
That's just the way it is.

Cal28 09-08-2012 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 919215)
Get used to every project taking twice as long and costing twice as much as you expect and you'll stay sane. Have fun. Many love the satisfaction of working on their boats.

I'd revise that time from twice to three or four times ...

AND add that each project that you start ... leads to 3 more than you need/want to do as well

Good luck ... and remember that you bring a skill set that many don't ...

Jgbrown 09-08-2012 09:56 PM

I triple the cost after by best estimate, and usually come out about 25% over that. Someone suggested somewhere here to multiply costs and time by Pi, oddly I think that would work fairly well.
Like the quick varnish I was going to do the day before I moved aboard last week... I figured two days delay and it was 7. Right on the money. :-)

ParadiseParrot 09-08-2012 10:08 PM

The best way to rebed deck hardware is to pretend you have found "the leak".
Do this after every sail that wets a bunk. This way you can stretch out the fun for years.