Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012

sailortrash is on a distinguished road
Let the fun begin

I had no idea on where exactly to post this, so I decided to post it where my skill set was weakest. I am about to buy a 40 stevens as long as the survey checks out. I have been a professional sailor for almost 13 years and although I have sailed alot I have only owned 2 sailboats of my own. One was a 38 farr design and the other was a 19 compac. I was fortunate with both in that they gave me very little problems and mainly enjoyed them. I have done a fair amount of work on boats but I am realizing that I am not a cruiser I am a sailor. I have mostly crewed on other people's boats and was not responsible for the every day maintaining of the vessels. I realize that I can do it but I am definitely going to have a learning curve when it comes to the new boat. I really am going to have to gain more knowledge when it comes to boat yard style work. To be honest I am going to have to paint the deck and rebed the hardware. To be honest this job and this entire boat project is a bit scary to me. Any time In the past that I have done this kind of work on a boat I have had some one much more knowledgeable than I telling me how and what to do. I am not used to being the one in charge in this type of boating situation. Though I am very thankful for this website and others like it. I know this is going to be a BIG project and i know I will learn alot but This is what I want to do. I like to tinker and I love being on the water. I really don't want a house. I feel like a kid waiting for christams. Thanks in advance to everyone for any help or advice that I am going to get. I know I am going to need it.
Jared
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Let the fun begin

Congratulations on the new boat, assuming the survey goes well. Assuming you are handy and just not experienced, you will pick up everything you need to know in time. You should be there for the survey and learn from the surveyor what you should focus on, whether they are items that impact the sale or not.

Thanks to our own MaineSail, who regularly posts here, you should bookmark this following website. It is extremely good at showing you how to do many of the basics, including rebedding the hardware. However, you don't necessarily have to fill and redrill every hole. It depends on condition and whether they are already bed properly. Get used to every project taking twice as long and costing twice as much as you expect and you'll stay sane. Have fun. Many love the satisfaction of working on their boats.

Compass Marine "How To" Articles Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-07-2012

LessTacksing is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to LessTacksing

Subscribing to Good Old Boat may help.
arf145 likes this.
Old 09-07-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

I'm curious why you think you will need to paint the deck. Was it painted before?

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 09-07-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Congrats.
I'll second Minnewaska's link: Compass Marine "How To" Articles Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
Perhaps the best 'how-to' website related to boats.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-07-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Assuming you do need to repaint your deck, know that it will be a lot of work. Keep reading and asking questions. You will gradually pick up skills you need to take care of your boat. Regarding doing a big job on your boat: If possible, have your boat as near to where you live as possible, and have some protection from the elements (indoor storage would be ideal). I have painted the deck of both the boats I have owned, and tho physically improbable, it both sucked and blowed at the same time. But, looks good now.
Old 09-08-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Lots of things about boats both suck and blow.
That's just the way it is.

Everybody has one:

Old 09-08-2012

Cal28 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Get used to every project taking twice as long and costing twice as much as you expect and you'll stay sane. Have fun. Many love the satisfaction of working on their boats.
I'd revise that time from twice to three or four times ...

AND add that each project that you start ... leads to 3 more than you need/want to do as well

Good luck ... and remember that you bring a skill set that many don't ...
Old 09-08-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

I triple the cost after by best estimate, and usually come out about 25% over that. Someone suggested somewhere here to multiply costs and time by Pi, oddly I think that would work fairly well.
Like the quick varnish I was going to do the day before I moved aboard last week... I figured two days delay and it was 7. Right on the money. :-)
Old 09-08-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

The best way to rebed deck hardware is to pretend you have found "the leak".
Do this after every sail that wets a bunk. This way you can stretch out the fun for years.
tdw and davidpm like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.