Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat cushions

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
This is one of the reason I've considered getting very dense foam cushions like C Cushions (or Bottomsiders)--they're 1 1/2" thick. A little more svelte in the cockpit and less room when stowed. Haven't pulled the trigger on this yet though--some other boat part keeps snagging the money
Anyone have the bottomsiders and want to review them?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

I have the Bottomsiders helm cushion, 8" think I think. It works great. Needed a boost to see over the sea hood. I would consider the rest of the cockpit cushions to complete the set.
Old 09-10-2012

MarkusM is on a distinguished road

One other thing you could look at is something like a self inflating sleeping pad for camping. Not an air mattress but one that has foam on the inside. They come in different thicknesses and can be stored compressed.
Old 09-10-2012

saillife is on a distinguished road

My canvas guy made cushions for us out of 1.5 inch closed cell foam with an outdoor nylon(?) type fabric that dries out fast, doesn't slide and is comfortable. He sewed tabs into the corners so that if I found the cushions were moving about adding snaps would be a breeze.

I had looked at bottom sliders and didn't care for them. They were more than what my canvas store charged and I didn't think they wouldn't hold up well in usage.
Old 09-10-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusM View Post
One other thing you could look at is something like a self inflating sleeping pad for camping. Not an air mattress but one that has foam on the inside. They come in different thicknesses and can be stored compressed.
I tried using some (thermarest) self inflating pads, and found them too slippery for my tastes.

Last edited by skygazer; 09-11-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-10-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
What amazes me is the number of boats , ours included, that do not have any way to hold the cockpit cushions in place. As it is now we put ours away when sailing on the wind or the damn things slide all over the place. Couple of tabs to a bit of velcro or press studs and its sorted.
I had our canvas guy add snaps when we did ours. You can see them on the front of the cockpit cushions and they wrap underneath on the stern perch seats.

So far they've held on through some pretty good storms.

The other simple change that made a big difference was breaking the port cushion in two so you can open the locker without flipping the whole cushion up; makes it a lot easier getting in and out of that locker.

It's the little things that make a big difference sometimes.

tdw likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 09-11-2012

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
We did cockpit cushions out of sunbrella and dryfast foam so they can stay in the cockpit all season. It makes a HUGE difference not hauling them in and out of the boat every time we get there...
We used 3 inch dryfast foam from the foamfactory and Phifertex Plus Vinyl Mesh that we got from Sailrite for new cockpit cushions for our Mac and really like them. Even it it gets rained on the water goes through so well that you can get by with a doubled up towel on them and they dry really fast. We worried if we would like the feel of the Phifertex on bare skin, but it isn't bad.

We plan on making the same type of cushions for the Endeavour and brought the current cockpit cushions home for patterns.

We also like the firmness of the dryfast and find it to be about right for us. We considered close cell, but it was too firm for us.

I would tie the cushions down most nights in the Mac as we didn't want them to blow away. The new ones will have loops on the back for a line to run through and we will go back and add the loops to the other ones.

Making the cushions for the Mac is on our site,

Sum
Old 09-11-2012

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I had our canvas guy add snaps when we did ours. You can see them on the front of the cockpit cushions and they wrap underneath on the stern perch seats.

So far they've held on through some pretty good storms.

The other simple change that made a big difference was breaking the port cushion in two so you can open the locker without flipping the whole cushion up; makes it a lot easier getting in and out of that locker.

It's the little things that make a big difference sometimes.
Those are really nice and I like the snap idea. We might think about that with the new ones. We also spit our bottom cushions and back cushions into 2. The use of them is more versatile for us. Ruth and I will at times be sitting on the same side and I like the back cushion and she doesn't.

Thanks for showing that,

Sum
Old 09-11-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What was the reason for the long straps. Would it have worked if the straps were a lot shorter?

Last edited by davidpm; 09-11-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-11-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

We have 1.5" high density closed-cell foam cushions covered in vinyl aboard Whiskeyjack. these are "all day/all season" cushions. They never leave the cockpit (the first season we shuffled them in and out when loading off-loading the boat, but since have simply hauled them out in april and put them away in october.) Comfortable, durable, and heavy enough that they aren't apt to fly away, and everyone raves about them. Don't mistake foam height for comfort. low-weight or low-density foam looks good , but isn't comfortable at all. memory foam is great for mattresses, lousy for exposed-to-the- elements cockpit cushions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.