SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Boat cushions (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/91857-boat-cushions.html)

davidpm 09-07-2012 10:07 PM

Boat cushions

I noticed how much room is taken up (wasted) by cushions.
Often they are up to 3 inches thick.
When you have 3 for the cockpit, 2 for the sides, 1 for the quarter birth and two for the fore-peak plus back rests you can easily end up with a 3 foot high stack of cushions on a 30+ foot boat.

It's no trouble if the boat is used for weekends only and kept at a dock.
If however the boat is going to be lived aboard for some weeks and anchored, the sheer volume of cushion material might become a problem when you are trying to make repairs underway.

Has anyone come up with a way to deal with this issue?

paulk 09-07-2012 10:34 PM

Re: Boat cushions

Sit on them.

PaulinVictoria 09-07-2012 11:36 PM

Strap a 3" cushion to your derriere and do away with all the other cushions. Wherever you sit, you have a nice comfy seat :)

MarkSF 09-08-2012 12:46 AM

Already been done :

For many, this may be the first introduction to the genius of Karl Pilkington.

davidpm 09-08-2012 11:57 AM

Thanks for the comments but I was thinking more in the line of the minimum thickness that would be comfortable for the cushions.
Maybe a 1.5 inch foam of the right density would be good enough.

arf145 09-08-2012 12:24 PM

This is one of the reason I've considered getting very dense foam cushions like C Cushions (or Bottomsiders)--they're 1 1/2" thick. A little more svelte in the cockpit and less room when stowed. Haven't pulled the trigger on this yet though--some other boat part keeps snagging the money :)

Sabreman 09-08-2012 01:56 PM

Boat cushions

We had cockpit cushions on our last boat and they were more trouble than they were worth. On Victoria, we have no cockpit cushions to get in the way. We have 12" square throwable pfd/cushions that we never use. I don't like cushions in the cockpit.

As for the interior cushions, when stored in their normal locations (e.g., V berth), they are no more than 3" or 4" high. Interior cushions are usually high density, but reducing the thickness much less than 3" will result in bottoming out.

JimMcGee 09-08-2012 02:43 PM

We did cockpit cushions out of sunbrella and dryfast foam so they can stay in the cockpit all season. It makes a HUGE difference not hauling them in and out of the boat every time we get there.

As for dealing with berth and salon cushions, David has a point, they are always in the way when working on the boat.

But then what is the percentage of time you have the interior pulled apart versus relaxing in it. I'll gladly trade off a little more hassle moving them around for the comfort when we're relaxing aboard.

Jgbrown 09-08-2012 08:12 PM

Just put in new interior cushions yesterday. 4"+2" of memory foam(which rolls easier and smaller, leaving me a more manageable cushion if need be).

No real way around some of it, but for the cockpit I'll be going a bit thinner if I put in real foam. For now I find a closed celled foam mat(the blue or yellow kind) and a layer of Dri-deck underneath makes a big difference to sit on. The big advantage of this that it rolls up small, both dri-deck and blue foam rolls can get stuffed in unused space somewhere, and as a bonus, I like using the blue foam to kneel on while I work.
The dri-deck seems to really make it more comfortable, and won't collect water, not really it's intended purpose exactly, but both things were sitting in the cockpit and I happened to sit on them and was surprised at the increase in comfort.

tdw 09-08-2012 08:57 PM

We spend far to much time in the cockpit to contemplate not having cushions at all but when we remake the current one (3" thick) we'll be going slightly thicker (4") and heavier density foam.

What amazes me is the number of boats , ours included, that do not have any way to hold the cockpit cushions in place. As it is now we put ours away when sailing on the wind or the damn things slide all over the place. Couple of tabs to a bit of velcro or press studs and its sorted.

OK so you don't need full cushions when out for a day sail but they are well worth the trouble on passage, even a short overnighter. They allow me to nap in the cockpit when the Wombet is on watch.