Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best power tools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladrags1 View Post
One small but important comment: if buying multiple cordless tools, buy a brand that you can interchange the batteries among all of the tools. Spare batteries and a backup charger are also important so you can keep going and charging. I believe they have LI-on 1 hour chargers out now.

Tod
Milwaukee lithium batteries, and everyone else's I assume, charge in more like 15-30 minutes for both 18V and 12V batteries. This means that even in the most extreme use case you can run continuously with only two batteries.
Old 09-09-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortrash View Post
So I need to get some power tools and I was wondering what brand you guys had the best of luck with? I am looking at the dewalt makita and milwaukee. I believe that i am going to get a large combo so I don't have a hodgepodge of brands and chargers. I know they are all decent I was just wondering which ones held up better in a marine enviroment.
Best cordless is drill is Dewalt (XLR or whatever???). It is also the most expensive. They did well on that. I am a fan of all things Milwaukee... but you pay for it.

In my opinion, if anyone wants it, save the money on the cordless stuff. It doesn't work great as a cruiser/LA and if you are just looking for something when you are part time and at slip, you can use 110v stuff at a tenth of the price and many times the torque. Half the crap ends up in the water anyways. Get yourself a good inverter and some extension cords. Only exception might be when going up the mast.

I have cordless stuff and have pretty much pulled it all off on the boat. Problem is that is needs to stay charged, or like any battery, it begins to lose it. Chraging requires constant power and I have better things to drain power on. A good inverter and a power tool doesn't cost anything to maintain and is a lot cheaper.

My opinions.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Best cordless is drill is Dewalt (XLR or whatever???). It is also the most expensive. They did well on that. I am a fan of all things Milwaukee... but you pay for it.

In my opinion, if anyone wants it, save the money on the cordless stuff. It doesn't work great as a cruiser/LA and if you are just looking for something when you are part time and at slip, you can use 110v stuff at a tenth of the price and many times the torque. Half the crap ends up in the water anyways. Get yourself a good inverter and some extension cords. Only exception might be when going up the mast.

I have cordless stuff and have pretty much pulled it all off on the boat. Problem is that is needs to stay charged, or like any battery, it begins to lose it. Chraging requires constant power and I have better things to drain power on. A good inverter and a power tool doesn't cost anything to maintain and is a lot cheaper.

My opinions.

Brian
Brian,

That was true of the older cordless stuff that was not LiIon. The newer LiIon batteries hold a charge for months and months. Last winter, around December, I lost an M-12 LiIon battery that had rolled under the seat of my car and I found it in early August. It has been in sub freezing temps and sat at well over 120F in my black interior car for many days. After I found it I slapped it in my tools and continued to use it for quite a while. I also have no clue as to its SOC before I "lost" it but it held its charge just fine for well over 6 months in sub freezing to blistering temps...

Today I don't see much difference in price between Makita, DeWalt, Bosch and Milwaukee. Ryobi, the Lowes "Porter Cable" and Hitachi are a decent step down in price.

Festool and Fein make some incredible tools but are very costly. My Fein Multi-Master is head and shoulders above my Harbor Freight, Dremel and Milwaukee multi-tools but also about twice to three times the price.

Most contractors I see are using DeWalt, Bosch, Milwaukee or Makita. Most use a mix. Surprisingly I see a lot of contractors with Ryobi as well as many boat yards and boat builders, such as Morris Yachts, using it along side more expensive brands such as Fein or Festool....

I don't have a favorite "brand" when it comes to tools. I tend to pick and choose the tool I like for what ever reason, for the job.

Sawzall - Milwuakee & a Porter Cable with a snapped shaft that needs repair
Skill Saws - Makita & DeWalt
Jig Saws - Bosch & DeWalt
Biscuit Joiner - Porter Cable
Routers - Plunge = Bosch, Stationary table mounted = Port Cable
Cordless Tools - Milwaukee, Ryobi and a dead DeWalt that needs repair
Multi-tools - Fein, Harbor Freight, Milwaukee & Dremel
Corded Drills - Milwaukee, Hitachi, Black& Decker
Angle Grinder - DeWalt & Makita
Rotary Buffer - Makita
Small Compressor - Makita
Miter Saw - DeWalt & Delta

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-09-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I don't have a favorite "brand" when it comes to tools. I tend to pick and choose the tool I like for what ever reason, for the job.

Sawzall - Milwuakee & a Porter Cable with a snapped shaft that needs repair
Skill Saws - Makita & DeWalt
Jig Saws - Bosch & DeWalt
Biscuit Joiner - Porter Cable
Routers - Plunge = Bosch, Stationary table mounted = Port Cable
Cordless Tools - Milwaukee, Ryobi and a dead DeWalt that needs repair
Multi-tools - Fein, Harbor Freight, Milwaukee & Dremel
Corded Drills - Milwaukee, Hitachi, Black& Decker
Angle Grinder - DeWalt & Makita
Rotary Buffer - Makita
Small Compressor - Makita
Miter Saw - DeWalt & Delta
I have heard that about the new bats, but still the issue is keeping a charger and when do you plug it in and how often, etc? Where do you keep it? They're expensive. Plus, they dont float. Dont get me wrong, we have a LOT of cordless drills and tools (my dad owned a custom cabinetry shop)... I just dont think they are the right thing for a boat. Exception is probably for going up the mast (drill). Pretty much everything I do is 110. But hey, maybe when I drop one of these overboard I will change my mind??? Christmas present maybe.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-09-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Ryobi is Home Depot's private brand for consumer grade products out of China. If something simple goes wrong or needs repair, there is no way to do it, you need to buy a whole new tool or tool set. Consumer grade, better than Harbor Freight, but expect that "service" means throw it all out and buy a whole new one.

DeWalt is Black & Decker's commercial/pro line now, and a cut above their consumer products. Last time I looked, much cheaper than Bosch and the top-end names, and still plenty good enough for heavy personal use. Some of those high-end prices just seem ridiculous, even if you're going to use the tools all day every day. (A consumer-grade drill, i.e. Ryobi, is supposedly used for only three hours of actual runtime by the average owner, big difference from commercial products.)

And sometimes cheap is good, when it burns out, you buy a new one. Assuming you are near someplace that sells tools.
Old 09-09-2012
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road

Hello.
Do you know where B and D makes Dewalt tools? In China and Mexico. Likely in the same factories Ryobi comes out of.

So I can buy a Ryobi set for a fraction of the cost of a dewalt set... Use it long and hard and break it... buy a new set and be back to work as fast as I can go to HD and back... and be 100s of dollars ahead on what the Dewalt set cost...

Or I can spend the money on the dewalt set. Break it just as well... Take it to a repair shop, wait a week for parts to come in... pay for the repairs and be weeks behind and money in the hole...

For me it isn't much of a choice... If it where American Factories we were talking about it would be different, but it isn't.
Old 09-09-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Currently Milwaukee seems to be leading the way in terms of having a large selection of quality tools that work with their battery system, which is why my newest purchase was Milwaukee. Their tools have very good "feel" and balance. They just feel like they could take a beating. I also own a Makita Li-ion drill that has been very good to me and has been heavily used.

In my opinion Ryobi is consumer level, suitable for occasional use in a household, not for professional use. They just feel like disposable junk compared to the higher end brands. When it comes to power tools you do indeed get what you pay for!
Hull#101
Old 09-09-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Iron-
"Do you know where B and D makes Dewalt tools? In China and Mexico. Likely in the same factories Ryobi comes out of."
So what? B&D at least last time I checked sold parts directly, and made repairs in depots. Ryobi did not. I needed a fifty cent switch to replace one that failed from a manufacturing flaw (bad plastic casting) in a Ryobi drill. Nope, non-standard part, can't be replaced by any switch from any catalog source, unique dimensions. Now, most of those switches ARE readily replaced by standard parts, not Ryobi.
Eventually Ryobi made an accomodation on a new drill, but with a B&D? It would have been faster and cheaper and less hassle to me to just order a switch, pay two bucks, and fix it.
And someone who wasn't willing to put up with the abuse, would have simply had to throw it out and buy a whole new one. I call that customer abuse and simply an intolerable way to do business. How would you like to buy a new car, and then be told a year later you can't replace the headlights, you need to buy a whole new car? What nonsense that is.
Oh, did you need to buy more diesel for you boat? Sorry, there's no fuel filler cap, that costs too much. Go buy a new boat.
You think I'm joking? Just keep endorsing the Ryobi philosophy, it has spread like wildfire because folks put up wih it.
Old 09-09-2012
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road

Good article here: They gave the Ryobi the same star rating as the Dewalt and it also received best Value...

Cordless Drill Reviews - Best Cordless Drill - Popular Mechanics
Old 09-09-2012
Plausible Deniability

ROFLMAO.

The PopMech test, and consequent rating, consisted of "Can the drill drill a couple of dozen holes and then se a couple of dozen screws before the battery runs out?"

Yeah, based on that criteria the Ryobi may be the best deal. Some of us are discussing other considerations. Buy cheap, pay dearly. That's what you want that's what you'll easily get.