Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012
O'Day 272 - "Pana-Sea-A"

Mjfossler is on a distinguished road
Re: Alcohol stoves in use?

Have a non-pressurized Origo which works great!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK540 View Post
Just curious, are there any brand new production boats that use anything else but propane or natural gas? A sign of the times? I was at the Annapolis boat show a couple of years ago but I don't remember if any of the new boats were using anything but propane?
I think at least some J-boats come with Origo stoves as standard equipment. And I've seen them in a number of new trailer-sailor sized boats.

Quote:
Edit
My boat presently uses pressure alcohol and I was thinking of converting to propane. It seems that is what is used all the other boats I get to board around here.
Didn't your mama ever ask you about your friends jumping off a cliff?

Seriously, try a non-pressurized alcohol stove. They really are much safer, and cheaper to install over-all (the stove-top is more pricy, but that is ALL you have to buy; no tank(s), no regulator, no hoses/tubing, no sniffer/alarm).
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 09-09-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

I still use my pressurized alcohol stove. The danger comes at light-off; it is too easy to put too much alcohol in the warming pan. If you do you get a huge flame that could catch the curtains on fire. Once these alcohol stoves are going, they are as safe as anything else that makes open flames in your boat. I asked an old salt to show me how when I first bought the boat and that worked out well.
Pasadena, MD
Old 09-09-2012

SkywalkerII is on a distinguished road

This is one issue that always baffles me. People rush to put propane on their boat to cook with but are terrified of Atomic 4 gas engines! Propane goes BOOM on some poor souls boat every year but there is not one case of an A4 blowing up.

Isn't boating supposed to gives us a break from daily life? Do I need the same conveniences of home that I'm trying to get a break from?

Stick with and enjoy the alcohol stove. The smell, the different routine is part of the charm.

And you won't go BOOM.

Skywalk er
T27 249
Old 09-09-2012

VK540 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
I think at least some J-boats come with Origo stoves as standard equipment. And I've seen them in a number of new trailer-sailor sized boats.

Didn't your mama ever ask you about your friends jumping off a cliff?

Seriously, try a non-pressurized alcohol stove. They really are much safer, and cheaper to install over-all (the stove-top is more pricy, but that is ALL you have to buy; no tank(s), no regulator, no hoses/tubing, no sniffer/alarm).
Sounds good, not ready to jump off the cliff yet but I don't know anyone who is using them around here. I find the oven in my pressure alcohol doesn't seem to get hot enough for cooking some things properly. How is the oven in the non-pressurized for cooking? I am ok with lighting the one I have without burning the curtains (yet) but I pretty much have to light it for anyone one else on board. Got a get a better trained crew!
Hull #92
Sailing the North Channel of Lake Huron
Old 09-09-2012

polaris2.11 is on a distinguished road

we like our Origo... simple, works great... we keep the alcohol in the cockpit fuel locker and just use an oz or two at a time to cook a meal... if you add more fuel, it just evaporates
skygazer likes this.
Old 09-09-2012
Senior Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris2.11 View Post
we like our Origo... simple, works great... we keep the alcohol in the cockpit fuel locker and just use an oz or two at a time to cook a meal... if you add more fuel, it just evaporates
Do you have the little neoprene gaskets? I've found that they work quite well (if I remember to use them every time).
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 09-09-2012
Senior Slacker

Quote:
... I find the oven in my pressure alcohol doesn't seem to get hot enough for cooking some things properly. How is the oven in the non-pressurized for cooking?...
I've only used the stove-tops. But I would be more than a little surprised if the oven didn't work just fine.

On the other hand, if I were to install an oven on a boat I think I would take a serious look at one of the smaller Dickinsen diesel ovens, or (if I really felt rich at that moment) a Taylors.

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 09-09-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-09-2012

VK540 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
I've only used the stove-tops. But I would be more than a little surprised if the oven didn't work just fine.
I was just checking out the Orion on the net and comparing it to a propane stove and oven. The BTU rating of the oven on the alcohol system is 5000 BTU and the propane oven was 10,000 BTU. Quite a difference in the rating but I am not sure if any cooking would require more than the 5000 BTU?
Hull #92
Sailing the North Channel of Lake Huron
Old 09-09-2012
Senior Slacker

Quote:
I was just checking out the Orion on the net and comparing it to a propane stove and oven. The BTU rating of the oven on the alcohol system is 5000 BTU and the propane oven was 10,000 BTU. Quite a difference in the rating but I am not sure if any cooking would require more than the 5000 BTU?
Are they the same size? Divide the power rating (BTWs) by the volume of each oven (or perhaps its surface area) for a better comparison.