Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012

VK540 is on a distinguished road
Re: Alcohol stoves in use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Are they the same size? Divide the power rating (BTWs) by the volume of each oven (or perhaps its surface area) for a better comparison.
Your right, they are not the same size but I cannot find an alcohol stove with an oven as large as the propane. 7 to 8 inches deeper for the propane ovens. I will have to measure mine up and see what the difference will be.
Hull #92
Sailing the North Channel of Lake Huron
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2012

polaris2.11 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Alcohol stoves in use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Do you have the little neoprene gaskets? I've found that they work quite well (if I remember to use them every time).
nope... sounds like a great idea.. I guess you'd have to wait until the stove cools down.
Old 09-09-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris2.11 View Post
...I guess you'd have to wait until the stove cools down.
It only takes a few minutes. All the metal bits in contact with the gaskets are just thin sheet metal.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 09-09-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Neoprene gaskets...?

What neoprene gaskets...??

How big, what do they look like ??

Can I make some DIY...?
Old 09-09-2012
Senior Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
Neoprene gaskets...?

What neoprene gaskets...??

How big, what do they look like ??

Can I make some DIY...?
Clicky-clicky
Ditto

(Am I the only one who knows how to use Google?)
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 09-09-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

So a piece of inner tube should work just fine....(you won't find that kinda info on Google )
Old 09-09-2012

RickWestlake is on a distinguished road

Halcyon came with a two-burner Origo built into its countertop. It may not be as hot as propane or natural gas, but it boils up a quart of water quick enough to make my morning coffee and my evening meal. Alcohol isn't cheap, but I can buy a whole hull of a lot of alcohol for the price of converting to propane - enough to make the conversion very definitely not-worth-it, at least to me at this time.

Squidd, a piece of inner tube should do fine. I found a sheet of neoprene gasket material at a hardware store - 1/16" thick, 12" x 12" - enough to make four way-oversized gaskets for the top of the fuel-cartridges. I let the stove cool for a while (20 minutes or so) before I open the top of the stove and put on the gasket. It keeps the cartridge very well sealed between uses.

(And I'm still giving very serious thought to a Wallas diesel stove, maybe, someday.)
Old 09-09-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

I saw a house that blew up from a propane leak. Actually, there was nothing to see but a foundation and a bit of rubble. I don't know where the rest of it landed, it seemed to have vaporized.

I was extremely impressed, I had no idea propane, which I always took for granted, could do that.

Since a boat is essentially (one hopes) a water and gas tight container - at least on the bottom, the odds of blowing one up with propane are much better. You could not pay me enough to use propane on a boat. It's not like you could walk away from an explosion, even if you survived.

Alcohol is expensive, and contains a lot less heat per unit than most other fuels. But, it won't explode, and water will mix with it instead of floating it. I don't find it hard to wait one extra minute for my coffee water to boil, and my wife is happy cooking with it. I also keep the fuel in the vented fuel locker, but don't consider it necessary.

I like the peace of mind that comes with using alcohol for fuel. I do however make sure to have some ventilation when cooking, I hate that they poison the alcohol and am not sure that the fumes are safe. I'd prefer grain alcohol, but that is really expensive. However, in an emergency, I could drink it!

My worst problem is that if the control knob is not shut tight, the fuel evaporates. Nothing evaporates as fast as alcohol, which is why I like a cover on my drinks. I find that I do have great control over the flame size, much better control than on camping type propane stoves we have used during power outages.

We use copper bottomed Revere ware, but cast iron would be good, if a bit heavy. I stopped using aluminum to eat off of, I don't think aluminum is good for you. Cast iron is good for you, it improves the flavor of meat and adds iron to your blood. When traveling light I use titanium, which distributes heat poorly, but does not add any taste to the food.
Old 09-09-2012
Senior Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
So a piece of inner tube should work just fine....(you won't find that kinda info on Google )
It has a bit more thickness to it than that. It's more like thin wetsuit material (without the cloth covering).
Old 09-10-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I dunno about you, but to me, burning alcohol just seems like a crime. A party-foul at the very least!

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.