Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-10-2012

lajimo is on a distinguished road
Isaac Damage to rub rail

Somehow during the 8' surge accompanying issac my port side rub rail got hung up on a dock piling and parted about 1/3 of the way forward from the stern. Except for about 7-12" bent outward on each side of the break the rest is still firmly attached. This is for a 1985 hunter 40' - the rub rail is attached at the hull deck joint adjacent and at right angles to the toerail. The dual assembly is bolted every 6" or so down the entire length. The rub rail is one piece.
To fix it I'm thinking remove the whole thing, get it welded back together and straightened out then reinstall. Does anyone have any experience with this - any better/easier ideas? Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Re: Isaac Damage to rub rail

Any Pics? Pics might help qualified people steer you in the right direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 09-10-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Metal stretches when it bends and you can never truly "straighten" it. A good fabricator might be able to make a satisfactory repair but I suspect he’ll have to cut a piece out as it will tend to be longer once “straightened”. I don’t know Hunter’s well – what’s it make of – stainless?? If so it will also work harden making it more difficult. Do you want it to be “perfect” or just functional? If you can get a matching rub rail, it would certainly be easier to replace it. Pictures would definitely help.
Old 09-10-2012

Isaac Damage to rub rail

I've added a couple of pics to my photo album in my SN profile but am having a hard time getting them to post in this thread.
Old 09-10-2012

Isaac Damage to rub rail

Also, the rub rail is steel, very hard and definitely stretched a bit as it bent - see pics in album. Maybe I'll just cut the bent pieces off and fit a replacement in the gap and call it good.
Old 09-11-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Ouch!

That looks like an anodized aluminum extrusion. Assuming it is, If you try to repair and weld it you would have to grind off the anodizing and it would be susceptible to corrosion. If you can match the extrusion, you can cut out the damaged section and just replace that piece - maybe make up a couple of neat little "brackets" to cover the join. For the best results I would see if you can replace the whole rail.

Before you posted the pictures I went looking to see if I could get an idea of what it looked like and I bumper into hunter.sailboatowners.com - if no one here has a better idea, you might ask there for a source for the extrusion. I doubt it is exclusive to Hunter - if you are having a problem, you might also try an industrial metal supplier - I don't know who to recommend in your neck of the woods.

I know some Hunters had issues with the hull/deck joint - make sure there is no damage to the joint and everything is sealed up or you could end up with a leak.

Sorry I can't be more help. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajimo View Post
Somehow during the 8' surge accompanying issac my port side rub rail got hung up on a dock piling and parted about 1/3 of the way forward from the stern. Except for about 7-12" bent outward on each side of the break the rest is still firmly attached. This is for a 1985 hunter 40' - the rub rail is attached at the hull deck joint adjacent and at right angles to the toerail. The dual assembly is bolted every 6" or so down the entire length. The rub rail is one piece.
To fix it I'm thinking remove the whole thing, get it welded back together and straightened out then reinstall. Does anyone have any experience with this - any better/easier ideas? Thanks
That's almost certainly anodized aluminium - trying to repair it is nearly futile. It would require expert welding & metal finishing and then re-anodizing.

Have you contacted Hunter - they might even have some of it on hand.

Otherwise, I'd find something suitable at a big metal supplier and replace the whole thing.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-11-2012

Isaac Damage to rub rail

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate the info.