Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-13-2012

mbowser is on a distinguished road
To flatten or not to flatten

I am approaching the point in my Alberg 35 recore/restoration where I have to decide whether to add a flattening agent to the final coat on the decks. I've done 2 coats of Interlux Perfection on all the areas that will be exposed (cabin top sides and the deck perimeter/bulwark). I will be using KiwiGrip for the non-skid areas which is already non-glossy.

I had planned on adding flattening agent to give a semi-gloss or satin finish to the cabin top and deck perimeter surfaces to cut down on glare, but after 2 coats, I am really liking the glossy finish. Now I'm rethinking my original decision to add the flattening agent to the final coat and I'm wondering if the glare from the exposed surfaces will be a real problem or is it sufficient to make sure the non-skid areas (KiwiGrip) are not glossy?

Photos here: Magic #16: Woohoo! Paint Time

Any thoughts appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: To flatten or not to flatten

If you've got KiwiGrip on the majority of the deck area and cabin top I'd not worry about glare from the remaining gloss... even if you're using a bright white for the non-non-skid areas. You already like the glossy look, it will be easier to keep clean as well.

On a previous boat we did the entire deck in white, including nonskid areas, and never really had an issue with glare.. generally if it's that bright out you're already wearing sunglasses anyhow.... and the white was much cooler underfoot than the original grey.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-13-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

That paint looks good. I think most of the areas that would have caused glare problems are the horizontal surfaces and they have non-skid anyway. I would keep the beautiful shine.
Old 09-13-2012

Thanks for the responses, I think I am going to forgo the flattener for the third coat and stay with the high gloss. After looking at a complete disaster for several years, the shiny cabin top will be the icing on the cake!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-14-2012

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Good decision!
I did add flattening agent on my previous boat paint and I can tell that the gloss is much easier to keep clean and it last longer - the flattened paint becomes kind of chalky after a few years.
The small amount of surface left exposed will not have any impact on glare and will look great.
I just completed my Kiwi Grip application and it was easy. I spent a lot of time masking, ensuring rounded corners, etc. I used a serrated spreader (1/8) for the KW and the small roller, I am really satisfied.
BTW, great paint job and good luck with the project.
Old 09-16-2012

I'm happy with my decision, got the third and final coat on today and it looks great (as long as you don't inspect too closely ). I'm looking forward to the KiwiGrip project, I've heard good things about it, but it's new territory for me so lots of on the job learning in the coming weeks. I'm sketching out the taping pattern tonight. I'm pretty sure that will be the bulk of the time spent on the project. I'll be getting a notched spreader like you recommended tomorrow.