What size motor would be best (or do you have) for ... - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-11-2004

HeartofGold is on a distinguished road
What size motor would be best (or do you have) for ...

Just a quick comment about the Briggs and Stratton air cooled 5hp 4-stroke. I researched these last summer for my 20'' Ensenada. They are intended for fresh water use, but may be used in salt water. Doing so, however, voids the 2 year warranty. It was suggested that with proper cleaning, care and protection (during storage), the engine should function fine in a salt water environment. I never learned exactly what part(s) of the engine are susceptible to salt air exposure.

I know you asked for 22''+ boats and mine is only 20'', but here is my 2 cents worth. I ended up purchasing a new 5hp Suzuki 2-stroke. Those of you who are really paying attention will say that Suzuki no longer makes any 2 strokes, and this is true. But my local supplier had 3 left in stock (still in the cartons). They were selling them for under $700 with full warranty. For this price I could not refuse, and I have been most please with the motor. It provides plenty of power for getting out to the bay. I can achieve hull speed at about half throttle. Though we have weak tides here (Florida Panhandle), they move through a relatively narrow channel, creating 4+ knot currents. The 5 hp has been more than adequate for my needs. BTW I had considered a short shaft, but after measuring, based on where my motor mount was located, I decided the long shaft was the only way to go. Happy motoring!

Doug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2004

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
What size motor would be best (or do you have) for ...

I use to push my Columbia 22 with a 1.2 HP British Seagull. Averaged about 3.5 knots with a clean bottom. She didn’t come out of the hole like a dragster but it was all I needed. When there was wind, I was sailing. When I absolutely needed it, the power was there. I went hundreds of miles with that motor and it never bothered it. Your deuce is going to put out X amount of thrust be it on the back of a 6 foot “blow-up doll” or the “QEII”. It makes no difference to that motor. You’re not going to hurt it pushing your 23 footer any more then it would be pushing your skiff.

There are many questions that need to be answered when considering a new motor like; your intended cruising ground conditions; currents; weather; docking or mooring area congestion; and your own sailing abilities and time constraints to name a few. The 15 HP may be there because a past owner may have needed to get somewhere fast when called, say like a doctor needing to get in to the emergency room, or the guy who’s wife really didn’t enjoy being out there and when she wanted to come in, he wanted her to see the wake dropping behind as he hit the gas!

Sure, the 4-6 HP range sounds good, but you may be okay with the deuce or you may need an 8 or 9.9 HP. It all depends on the answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.