SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   What size motor would be best (or do you have) for ... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/9210-what-size-motor-would-best-do-you-have.html)

natejount 03-01-2004 06:46 AM

What size motor would be best (or do you have) for ...

a 23'' sailboat? I have a 15hp that''s substantially too large...i don''t need anyone on the high side on a port tack, the damn motor does the job for me!
I also have a 2hp for my dinghy, and in a couple of emergencies it HAS moved the boat, I just worry the poor little guy will die from the strain.
anyways, just wanted to take a survey of people with 22-25'' sailboats, and what in your experience has worked best with this size boat (I draw 2''11" [shoal keel] and I displace around 2600lbs) I''m looking at anything from a 4 to a 9.9, I figure...
also, will a short shaft just not work at all?

jbanta 03-01-2004 07:52 AM

For a 23 footer 5hp is plenty. I run a 9.9 on my 29. I draw near 6 feet. It came stock with a 15 hp saildrive. That unit was OLD and the prop was alot smaller than the 9.9 merc I am running now. Mine is long shaft so I can kep the prop in the water on heavey chop. If you have less freeboard you might be able to use a short shaft but why???? Without props in the water when I am sailing now I have picked up almost 2 knots of speed. A 9.9 is still to much motor for a 23....

sailingfool 03-01-2004 08:04 AM

I used to run my Puma 23 (3-4,000 lbs) just fine with a long shaft 4hp Evinrude. Whether you NEED a long shaft would depend on how far into the water you can lower the engine - I would think most sailboats benefit from the long shaft - deeper is fundamentally better...

Good luck.

Sailormon6 03-01-2004 08:35 AM

If you sail on an inland lake, 4 hp is probably OK, but if you sail in tidal waters, I would suggest about a 6-8 hp, and a long shaft. Most of the time you won''t need that much power, but when you''re up against a strong tidal current or higher-than usual winds, a little extra power would be helpful.

maestro 03-01-2004 02:18 PM

4 hp would work ( but you might have push the throttle if there is any type of current going against your boat) I have a 6hp 4 stroke Nissan and it pushes my 22'' at hull speed at 3/4 throttle. Get the 20"long shaft. A short shaft can cavitate in any type of chop

e-27 sailor 03-01-2004 06:47 PM

I think it depends on how much you use your current motor. I''ve got a Honda 2hp for my 27'' boat (2450#) and it gets the job done nicely at 5K and 1qt fuel/hr at full throttle. But I sail in & out of my slip. I only hang the motor few time a year to get back to the slip. The rest of the time, it''s secured below. And while it only weights 28#, it''s got to be dead calm before it come out.

As for durability, a guy in Hawaii with the same boat uses his Honda 2hp to motor back & forth between Islands (although I''ve never been in Hawaii when the Trade Winds wern''t blowing at least 10-15k).

maxcontax 03-02-2004 05:39 AM

I think that 2 to 2.5 HP per 1,000 lbs of loaded boat is current wisdom on powering displacement boats, but it is quite important to get the long leg shaft. My cruising equipped C-22 is powered by a 4 stroke Nissan 6 hp long shaft and it has proven itself in whitecaps and 30+ knot headwinds to be enough power. The 2 HP Evinrude with conventional leg was OK on flat water, slow--but got me into trouble in winds.

Bawgy 03-03-2004 04:47 AM

I have a 24 venture (1800#) ? I use a 34lb trolling motor to get out of the cove mile about 2knots speed . I have a 1971 clinton 7HP that really pushes it around . I plan on going to the coast and sailing in the sounds and to the outerbanks of NC . I was not sure about the durability of the clinton so I bought a new Briggs and Stratton 5 hp 4 stroke . It pushes the boat around as well as the clinton 7 , and being 4 stroke ,is cleaner to the water .

fer@fer 03-04-2004 03:42 PM

I would undoubtely stay fixed to the 15 HP outboard.

Switching to a 10 HP will not make any change, since it weights the same as a 15 HP. And even a 6 HP, or a 2 HP outboard could move your boat, that is true in a quiet sea with no wind. In a choppy sea, aginst wind and current, your 6 HP outboard will hardly motor windward, if not backwards.
In this case you will need a long shaft. Short shaft are designed for dingies.

If you want to get rid of your 15 HP, I would rather buy a pair of oars instead a 6 HP.

Regards

Fernando

scuppers 03-10-2004 05:00 PM

Bawgy,
I was under the impression that the Briggs & Stratton motors were for use in fresh water only. Have they changed their design in the last 10 months or so to allow use in salt water? If not (and I''d check the manual), I''d be careful using it around the outerbanks--corrosion is the problem, methinks!