Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012
Lurker extraordinaire

dgasmd is on a distinguished road
Seeking interior laminate advice

I am considering to buy a boat a saw recently. The interior counters around the top edges in the galley have some areas that seem scratched or worn from use. I asked the broker about the damage, and he replied "it is a very common thing and easy to repair". The material is laminate. I am not the fixer type of guy, so I will surely be farming this one job to someone, but I want to have an idea of how easy/difficult and cheap/expensive it is to repair these areas without making it look a different shade of color than the rest of the wood in the interior. This will bother the living hell out of my wife, so it MUST be fixed!

Is this a sand and varnish type of job? What's involved? How does one do it? Costly?

Any ideas would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking interior laminate advice

"Fix" laminate? hardly. Why? Because the top surface (formica or melamine) is extremely thin and abrading to the under-lament is likely. Also, the existing gloss or sheen could never be duplicated by even the finest sandpaper because the surface was originally hot rolled.
Best to remove and replace with new if appearance is important.
Been there, done that. Pics can be taken if wanted.
Dick
Old 09-15-2012
Lurker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybyknight View Post
"Fix" laminate? hardly. Why? Because the top surface (formica or melamine) is extremely thin and abrading to the under-lament is likely. Also, the existing gloss or sheen could never be duplicated by even the finest sandpaper because the surface was originally hot rolled.
Best to remove and replace with new if appearance is important.

Been there, done that. Pics can be taken if wanted.
Dick
Maybe I should have worded my question better. All I want to do is to make those areas that are now worn and discolored look like they did when new regardless of how it is done and looking at the same shade as the rest of the wood interior. If you have some pictures of how you have done this and color/looks before and after that would be fantastic if you could post them.

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

dg,

The only way to make marred laminate look "like new" is to use new laminate.

That said, the project is more analogous to knee surgery than it is to brain surgery. Don Casey has a pretty good description of the process in a couple of his books, and you could probably find something just as good on-line for free...

The overall complexity of the project will depend on many factors (like whether or not there are fiddles on the counter top; number and size of openings like sinks, faucets, ice box, etc; integrating any curves to match hull shape; L-shaped counter or plain rectangle; and so on.)

Removing the old laminate is not always necessary. You can prep the old laminate for the new skin with a sander.
Old 09-15-2012

Siamese is on a distinguished road

Still not sure if this is making sense.

"Laminate" generally refers to a man-made material like Formica. There's no way to make it look like the wood in the rest of your boat. Are you sure you aren't referring to wood veneer? Please be more specific.

Worn "laminate" simply has to be replaced.
Old 09-15-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Photos please
Old 09-15-2012

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road

Above is a picture of our counter top taken during the fridge install. Are you referring to the white laminate top or the wood trim around the counter top edges (not on top of it)?

I feel the only way you are going to get a good answer to this is ask the broker for the names of business in the area that could address this problem since you would farm it out anyway. Then contact one of them and ask if they would give you a bid on the job and have them explain what they would do.

It might be reasonable that you might pay them for their time to do this since you might not even buy the boat. Ask if they would then deduct this cost if you do buy the boat and have them perform the repair.

Good luck,

Sum

===============================

Our 26 MacGregor and Our 37 Endeavour and Our Trips
rugosa likes this.
Old 09-15-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Dgasmd,

As a new boat owner myself, I think it's highly likely that you'll find yourself spending time on projects other than countertops in the first year or two of ownership. On the other hand, if worn countertops are the worst thing wrong with your prospective boat, she may be a good buy.

Are you comfortable with whatever else needs to be done on this boat?
SJ34 likes this.
Old 09-15-2012
Lurker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
Dgasmd,

As a new boat owner myself, I think it's highly likely that you'll find yourself spending time on projects other than countertops in the first year or two of ownership. On the other hand, if worn countertops are the worst thing wrong with your prospective boat, she may be a good buy.

Are you comfortable with whatever else needs to be done on this boat?
Nothing needs to be done to the boat. This is as bad as it gets. It is as turn key of a boat as it gets. 5 years old too.

Sumner10:
I was referring to the wood trimming on the picture, not the white counter top. On the pictures below, it is not the white part around the sink, but the darker color raised trim on the edges. Same for the navigation table.
Attached Thumbnails
Seeking interior laminate advice-3819786_-1_20111223102744_1_0.jpg   Seeking interior laminate advice-3819786_-1_20111223104733_2_0.jpg  
Old 09-15-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgasmd View Post
Nothing needs to be done to the boat. This is as bad as it gets. It is as turn key of a boat as it gets. 5 years old too.

Sumner10:
I was referring to the wood trimming on the picture, not the white counter top. On the pictures below, it is not the white part around the sink, but the darker color raised trim on the edges. Same for the navigation table.
wow, I sure would not risk repairing something that looks that nice....you could spend quite a bit of money and time, and end up with something far worse than what you have now.

If the rest of the boat looks like that woodwork.....I would be ecstatic.

best of luck