Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012

mainer24 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Repair of broken hull around keel stub

Thank you all for your advice ! what looks clear now is that spending the winter fixing it is not an option anymore. I haven't worked with epoxy/fiber glass before and I underestimate probably how messy that can be (was just reading that fg dust is toxic, prob for the same reasons asbestos is). Security is also important as I usually take friends, friend's relatives etc on board and I would feel terrible if anything happened because of a bad boat (even worse if I had "fixed" it). I've learned my lesson : it can look very good from the outside but be dangerous nevertheless. I realize too that age matters (for these boats at least) ; the next one won't be older than me ! Thank you for the idea of stripping it, too. I had thought of the sails and sheets but would have forgotten the winches, blocks, pulleys,... and other metal parts. The boat hasn't been surveyed by the insurance yet ; I guess they will "total" it, which is why I was wondering if buying it back was worth it.
As for the details of the accident, that's how it happened : the wind had died on us so we were motoring back to the harbor (4 hp, 2-stroke motor, we were probably running at 15 mph max). I left the tiler to my skipper and went on the bow to fold the jib. He didn't pay attention to a red buoy that we should have kept on our starboard side and took a "shortcut" in front of it. We heard a big "boom" but were not shaken at all : where I was standing, I did not fall overboard. The boat ended up stuck on the ledge and the waves were rocking it pretty badly ; we were afraid that the wave would fill the cockpit but instead, water started coming in from the keel bolts compartment. Long story short, the USCG could get to us after the tide went back up and when they towed the boat of the ledge it sank. For the salvage story, we had a diver finding the wreck, first on its depth finder, then by actually diving (40 feet deep, boat was lying on its side) and rigging the boat, for the barge that came next to lift it up and bring it back to shore. I am borrowing a picture from the diver to answer the questions about the salvage...
Thank you again for your wise comments !
Attached Thumbnails
Repair of broken hull around keel stub-barge2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Repair of broken hull around keel stub

15 MPH with a 4HP Outboard? - I'd believe 5 knots (about 6 MPH) but that's it.

Try to save the motor!!
Old 09-16-2012

baboon is on a distinguished road

You are one lucky sailor. These sites are full of stories of people who have close calls, yours is a more compelling situation by far.

As to salvage, Unless you plan to build your new boat, The value of all the parts taken off the boat may be limited. You have to look at the cost to buy it back from the insurance verses what you can get selling the stuff on Craig's list and to a scrap metal dealer. You also have to dispose of the whole waterlogged hull and deck. It is semi toxic non recyclable plastic waste, in my environemtaly conscious area the cost to to get rid of it would be high. You also have to figure in the storage costs and your time. I am not saying I know it is not worth it, but I would research it first. In the end it may be best to let you insurgence company deal with the wreck.
Old 09-16-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
You are one lucky sailor. These sites are full of stories of people who have close calls, yours is a more compelling situation by far.

As to salvage, Unless you plan to build your new boat, The value of all the parts taken off the boat may be limited. You have to look at the cost to buy it back from the insurance verses what you can get selling the stuff on Craig's list and to a scrap metal dealer. You also have to dispose of the whole waterlogged hull and deck. It is semi toxic non recyclable plastic waste, in my environemtaly conscious area the cost to to get rid of it would be high. You also have to figure in the storage costs and your time. I am not saying I know it is not worth it, but I would research it first. In the end it may be best to let you insurgence company deal with the wreck.
Good point. I had forgotten about disposal dilema.
Old 09-16-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road

This will be an interesting story to follow. They scrapped out the boat that sunk in my slip while my boat was on the hard a few weeks ago. One day with a Sawzall and a demolition blade and it fit into a rolloff garbage container. The keel was cast iron, they got like $300 for it.

As bad as it looks, one of the amazing things about fiberglass is how it can be repaired. I just got done doing my keel trunk on my Etap. I also did a similar repair on a 1976 Hunter 27. Was it worth it? SHOOT ME if I even think about doing it again!

Gary H. Lucas
davidpm likes this.
Old 09-17-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainer24 View Post
As for the details of the accident, that's how it happened : The boat ended up stuck on the ledge and the waves were rocking it pretty badly
Thank you again for your wise comments !
Thanks for the story and we all feel you pain.
Good luck with your next boat. Don't give up.
Old 09-17-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

You have already decided against repair but just in case you are tempted their is another issue.
After repair it will have a salvage title and getting insurance again for you or anyone else may not be possible.
Old 09-17-2012

I did save the motor and brought it immediately to a pro - had been told that if it was washed in fresh water and winterized immediately there was a chance to save it even after a week in sea water. Good point about the impossibility to insure a fixed-at-home boat (so many things i wouldn't have thought about ; thanks !) ; and how we'll dispose of the wreck is still a mystery to me ; around here environment is a big thing. Just disposing of the mix of gasoline/sea water recovered from the boat is difficult... I can't imagine hundred of pounds of fiberglass, lead, all this coated with toxic bottom paint !
Old 09-17-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainer24 View Post
... I've learned my lesson : it can look very good from the outside but be dangerous nevertheless. I realize too that age matters (for these boats at least)...
I am curious - what did the age of the boat have to do with this mishap?

Are you better off driving a new boat up on the rocks?
Old 09-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
I am curious - what did the age of the boat have to do with this mishap?

Are you better off driving a new boat up on the rocks?
Thank you for bringing some humor in. What I meant is that, I guess, the older the boat (on these small budget sail boats), the higher the probability of hidden cracks, weird repairs, etc... that makes them less resilient in case something bad happens ? It's just my guess and from what I've seen when looking around for a boat. And these boats don't come with a "carfax" about their history...

Tags
aground , broken , fiber glass , hull , keel stub

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.