SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Repair of broken hull around keel stub (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/92134-repair-broken-hull-around-keel-stub.html)

mainer24 09-16-2012 12:06 AM

Repair of broken hull around keel stub

3 Attachment(s)
I've been reading this forum since I've been looking for a boat, then, after getting my 1st sailboat, a 1976 C&C24, and now, that repairs are needed much earlier that I'd like, I thought I would tap into this source of knowledge with questions.
When my skipper ran the boat into an underwater ledge, we didn't feel a shock or a stop, just heard a big noise, and the boat started taking water. Once pulled away from the ledge it sank in a minute :-( It's been salvaged a few days ago and I wonder if it can be fixed. The hull broke around the keel stub (1st picture, of the front of the keel) but the deck and mast and everything else is in such a good shape (plus, I ended up loving this boat so much...). Is there a way to restore the seaworthiness of the hull, so that it holds the weight of the keel, remains water tight and maintains the whole structure of the boat ?
More questions arose when I looked at the boat / (wreck...) on its stands. It looks like the keel had been fixed before, like if fiberglass had been added inside the hull (2d and 3d picture of the keel bolts compartment under the floor of the cabin) ; does this look to you like this boat ran aground before, that the hull was patched with fiber glass cloth and other stuff ?
And this brings me to the 1st question : is any repair possible now, of this broken hull, that would make the boat safe ?
Thank you for any input !

baboon 09-16-2012 12:22 AM

Re: Repair of broken hull around keel stub

Wow, this may get the repair thread of the year. The keel is not realy suported by the skin of the hull, but rather the grid build into the whole bottom of the boat. The fact that it failed is really an eye opener. My guess is to make it truly safe you will exceed the value of a 36 year old boat by a large margin. If you are commited to this boat get an experienced person on site to look at it. Any advice you get on the net, including mine, is not reliable enought to trust your safety.

SloopJonB 09-16-2012 02:51 AM

It looks like a writeoff to me. Unless that boat has enormous sentimental value, get another boat. An old C&C 24 is worth less than the materials needed to fix that damage, never mind any labour (of which there will be LOTS).

Strip it of all useful gear for resale and scrap it.

Sorry.

gus_452000 09-16-2012 03:51 AM

Sorry but that looks terminal to me, even with all the will in the world and free labour it would still cost more in materials to repair and make safe then buying another similar boat of younger years.

eherlihy 09-16-2012 08:38 AM

From your pictures, and this perspective; yes, it looks like this was poorly patched before.

Can it be fixed? Yes - all it will cost is time and money. It will take lots of both.

I believe the stated message in the previous posts, is that you could buy another C&C 24, in better shape, for less than the costs involved in properly repairing this one.

rugosa 09-16-2012 09:29 AM

Unless your insurance is covering the WHOLE cost, strip it, scrap it and find another boat. Spars, sails, winches, toe rails, hardware, rudder all have value if you are inclined to salvage them. The previous repair looks questionable, and you definitely hit hard:( Did your surveyor comment about the previous repair?

dabnis 09-16-2012 10:18 AM

Agree with all, get rid of it. How much is your and your skipper's lives worth?

Paul T

WDS123 09-16-2012 02:03 PM

Scrap lead pays about $1 a lb these days

davidpm 09-16-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mainer24 (Post 922645)
When my skipper ran the boat into an underwater ledge, we didn't feel a shock or a stop, just heard a big noise, and the boat started taking water. Once pulled away from the ledge it sank in a minute :-( It's been salvaged a few days ago and I wonder if it can be fixed.!

Were you on the boat when it hit?
How fast were you going?
I'm surprised you didn't feel it more. What exactly did it feel like.

Would you mind sharing the salvage story?
I'm having a hard time visualizing it.

As far as what to do with the boat the process is pretty straight forward. Get someone over who is well respected and ask how much it is going to cost. During that discussion you will find out how many days it will take. If you plan on doing it yourself pick some whole number greater than one and multiply it by the professional number and you will have an idea.

The cost of Epoxy and fiberglass can add up even if you do the work yourself but usually it's days, tools, weather and dust control that makes this kind of job hard for first-timers.
But we don't know what your skills and background are but this is serious work.
Do you have insurance? If so they will pretty much control the ball.

I'm interested in more detail about the event.

boatpoker 09-16-2012 03:12 PM

That not a "previous repair". that is a blatant cover up job. The seller and the surveyor should be prosecuted.