SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   cutlass bearing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/92201-cutlass-bearing.html)

H and E 09-18-2012 07:11 AM

cutlass bearing

I am beginning to think my cutlass bearing is worn. There is a little play in the shaft-not sure how much. Is there an acceptable standard for the amount of play? Shaft is one inch dia.

Is that a special bearing or can I go to a bearing supplier and get a standard bronze bearing if I need to replace it?

jameswilson29 09-18-2012 08:18 AM

Re: cutlass bearing

A standard cutlass bearing will work. I believe I bought mine from Hamilton Marine.

Tim R. 09-18-2012 08:31 AM

You need to know 3 measurements. ID, OD and length.

You should also double check these specs to the OEM specs as someone may have fiddled with the strut like they did on my boat. I found the strut to be over-bored probably because a PO had damaged it during removal. Luckily my strut is a bolt on and very easy to replace.

ECS-IB30 09-18-2012 08:46 AM

I've just removed mine - I discovered it was worn when we started work on the shaft log - Once we got into the project we decided to remove the shaft, which then needed to go to the machine shop to be dressed up (some wear grooves had formed over time at the cutlass and at the shaft log). There are a host of places to get the new bearing - I ordered mine through JD but only because I had other stuff to get.....here is a link to a catalog that lists not only the bearings, but replacement struts, and shaft log parts - buckalgonquin dot com

If the boat is on the hard, it might be good to go right back to the engine - we discovered the wear at the bearing was caused by the engine shifting over time - if we had stopped at the bearing, it would have failed prematurely because the engine was not aligned correctly (it actually was shifting due to some 'softness' in the stringers it was bolted to, but that's another thread for another day!)

eherlihy 09-18-2012 09:04 AM

When hauled, you should not be able to move the shaft up, down, side to side, or any combination thereof. However, you should be able to rotate the shaft along its axis by hand.

CalebD 09-18-2012 02:04 PM

This place had the best prices for bearings and a large selection: Cutless Bearings for Sale. Buy Johnson Duramax Cutless Bearings today.

Frogwatch 09-18-2012 02:39 PM

go into a boatyard sometime and try to wiggle all the props you see. You will be amazed at how much play there is in most. Some have serious THUNk-THUNK as you move from side to side yet these boats go back in the water and do not seem to have problems.

ewayne 09-18-2012 04:06 PM

The cutlass bearing is a special bearing- often bronze lined with a rubber liner having grooves cut in to allow water to lube and cool it. There are other materials too however,such as fiberglass with a liner.
They usually have some wear after they've been in use for a while. It should not be too sloppy. The rule of thumb I use is a maximum 1/16 inch of radial play per inch of shaft diameter. Thus if yours at 1" diameter moves up to 1/16" radially it's still OK. Replace it once its over that 1/16" dimension. Just be sure your shaft isn't worn as well and contributing to the radial play.

SchockT 09-19-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogwatch (Post 923586)
go into a boatyard sometime and try to wiggle all the props you see. You will be amazed at how much play there is in most. Some have serious THUNk-THUNK as you move from side to side yet these boats go back in the water and do not seem to have problems.

I am frequently amazed at the poor state of repair I see on boats in the boat yard and at the dock, and yes they do seem to get away with it much of the time, but that doesn't make it right!

keforion 09-21-2012 11:29 AM

Hate to be a pest, but the proper spelling is 'CutlEss.' It is the name of the guy who invented it. A cutlAss is a type of saber.