Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012
cjc

C&C is on a distinguished road
Question Which AGM batteries are best

We are replacing our house batteries with AGMs. Are trying to determine which brands are best. Would appreciate experience with different brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2012
Baja sail project

k2knudson is on a distinguished road
Re: Which AGM batteries are best

I just found some l16 group batteries for my solar house (AGM). I was told that for the money ($400) per battery, and 380hr/20hr rate, 6v. these were the best, they come out of china and they make batteries for a lot of the marine industry, universal power group is the name of the company, i found them thru: the solar biz.com
Old 09-18-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&C View Post
We are replacing our house batteries with AGMs. Are trying to determine which brands are best. Would appreciate experience with different brands.
C&C,

Not trying to second guess you here, but are you sure you want to go with AGMs? They're great batteries, but unless your electrical system is designed to capitalize on their benefits they may not be much of an improvement over flooded cells.
Old 09-18-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

If you go AGM, I would stick with Lifeline. They seem to have the most knowledge and best support. Mine are going on 5 years and still running strong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 09-18-2012
Baja sail project

Not to mention you can put AGM's anywhere, or on their side, they work great on boats and tight spaces where you won't have to touch them..also they don't "off Gas" which is corrosive and dangerous, less of that stuff on a boat the better in my book.. Gel batteries are to sensitive and people end up frying them, and lets face it lead acid is old technology that is troublesome to maintain and limited in charging rates, AGM's should be the only option on a sailboat..upgrade you charger and you'll take full advantage of AGM's benefits, if not they will charge like a lead acid and still be superior in fitment and reliability and safety.
Old 09-18-2012
Baja sail project

Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
If you go AGM, I would stick with Lifeline. They seem to have the most knowledge and best support. Mine are going on 5 years and still running strong.

I will agree, Lifeline is a GOOD battery, ambulances and life critical systems use them..expensive, but how many times do you wanna lug a 93+ pound battery out of a boat.?
njadventure likes this.
Old 09-18-2012

rccu is on a distinguished road

About a year ago I bought 4 Lifeline GPL-27T's for my boat and I've been very happy with them. If I remember correctly, I purchased them from Dixie Battery (in AL) at a good price. They were shipped by UPS to my doorstep.
Old 09-18-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Wasn't there a thread about Sams club AGM batteries not too long ago? Let me see if I can find it:..........................
Got it!

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electr...good-news.html
Old 09-18-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

There are many good AGM batteries out there, if they are treated well. My two favorites are Lifeline and Odyssey. If going AGM on my own boat today, and cost was not an issue, it would likely be Odyssey.

Lifeline's have the huge benefit of being able to be "equalized" or "conditioned" where other AGM's do not. This can be a very important feature.

Deka / East Penn licenses their AGM and GEL technology from Sonnenschein in Germany and builds the batteries here in the US. West Marine and Sam's Club both sell them. Of course at Sam's Club a 6V AGM or group 31 12V are less than half the price of WM.

Many other AGM's are built by companies like Full River in China for big name brands who mark them up and churn them out. If you stick with Deka / East Penn, Lifeline or Odyssey you'll be doing well.

There are drawbacks to AGM however and they ideally need to be installed as a "system" not just as a battery. I see PILES of AGM batteries die well before wet cells and well before they should because people have not taken the time to install them properly or to treat them properly.

Heck just yesterday I quoted a customer on replacements for his four year old Lifeline GPL-4CT 6V's. He has done everything right in terms of alternator, charger etc. etc. EXCEPT he is on a mooring and the batteries rarely if ever get back to 100%. He's killed a $1400.00 bank in four years. I also quoted him on solar panels so this won't happen again.

Today I worked on a boat with a stock 50A alternator, no solar and single stage ferroresonant charger so old it should be a boat anchor. The two 6V batteries are 7 years old, by date code, and just now looking like they perhaps need replacement. He paid about $75.00 each for them. This 7 years despite the owner doing NOTHING to care for them. He never added water and only charged them to full once in the fall and spring.

BTW, AGM, GEL and FLOODED batteries are all LEAD ACID batteries.

Feel free to read this for more on AGM batteries:

AGM Batteries - Making The Choice
njadventure likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 09-18-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-18-2012

ewayne is on a distinguished road

My last Lifeline AGM series 27's were still going strong at 9 years old. I replaced them only because I was going on an extended cruise and the dealer said they were typically good for 8 years! Lifeline has a large series 31 called 31XT which is basically half of an 8D. I got 4 of those to replace the series 27's so now have a nice large bank equivalent to two 8D's.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.