SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   2 part dingy paint (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/92256-2-part-dingy-paint.html)

lostatsi 09-19-2012 02:55 PM

2 part dingy paint

I have an old Achillies RIB. I am considering using the 2 part paint offered by a couple of different manufacturers. Oddly enough their web sites state that it will make the old dingy like new yet I'm having difficulty finding reviews by users other than the on site glowing reviews.
At a cost of over $200 it is both a considerable savings over a new hypolon boat and yet a lot of money to waste if it doesn't work.
I don't expect it to renew the 20 year old boat forever. I'm thinking that getting at least 1 year might be worth it. My use will be in very sunny conditions, no plans to keep covered. Boat has fabric showing on several top spots.
If you have used this product I would love to hear your thoughts.

MarkSF 09-19-2012 03:01 PM

Re: 2 part dingy paint

I did it last year - complete waste of money. The problem is that the final finish is a matt grey paint that shows up every single mark and scuff. Any kind of scrape against something takes both layers off, leaving red. The stuff is not hard wearing at all. The best thing I can say is that the base layer filled a couple of pinhole leaks and repaired a couple of spots where I was down to the fabric.

I'd suggest repairing any worn spots only, and buying a cover, unless you feel the need to spend $150 turning an old ugly dinghy into..... an old uglier dinghy.

mbowser 09-21-2012 06:13 AM

I just finished up painting the decks of my boat with Interlux Perfection and I'm pleased with the results. The gloss is incredible and the finish is really hard. From what I've read on the product, you can expect it to hold up for several years at least. I went with Perfection because it is touted as a 'do-it-yourself' finish and is intended for the roll and tip method (as opposed to spray). I believe several other paint manufacturers offer similar products but I have no experience with them. I also did my sailing dinghy with the same product and it has held up well dragging it over sand since I did it last month.

Based on my experience, I'd say 90% of time spent on the project was on surface prep and priming; the final painting part was easy, but these 2 part paints hide no sins. If you have any imperfection on the underlying surface, the glossy paint will not cover it and will actually highlight it and make it look worse (it will be shiny though).

I recently wrote up my thoughts on Perfection here

MarkSF 09-21-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbowser (Post 924822)
I just finished up painting the decks of my boat with Interlux Perfection and I'm pleased with the results. The gloss is incredible and the finish is really hard. From what I've read on the product, you can expect it to hold up for several years at least. I went with Perfection because it is touted as a 'do-it-yourself' finish and is intended for the roll and tip method (as opposed to spray). I believe several other paint manufacturers offer similar products but I have no experience with them. I also did my sailing dinghy with the same product and it has held up well dragging it over sand since I did it last month.

Based on my experience, I'd say 90% of time spent on the project was on surface prep and priming; the final painting part was easy, but these 2 part paints hide no sins. If you have any imperfection on the underlying surface, the glossy paint will not cover it and will actually highlight it and make it look worse (it will be shiny though).

I recently wrote up my thoughts on Perfection here

Your experience with Perfection has no relevance to painting a Hypalon inflatable dinghy.

mbowser 09-21-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSF (Post 924977)
Your experience with Perfection has no relevance to painting a Hypalon inflatable dinghy.

My bad, I didn't see that it was an inflatable.