SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Notebook computer for cruising

3K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  Jgbrown 
#1 ·
I seem to have bad luck with small computers (and cell phones) and my 10" Toshiba just quit and Toshiba will not honor their warranty. So, can anyone reccomend a small notebook computer for taking on cruising trips, camping, and other? travel? Speed is not an issue and I do not play games. Unfortunately a tablet is not an answer because Android nor the Apple system will run the software I need for work. So, it should be either Windows 7 (or XP). I loved my tiny Asus EE with 7" screen that ran under Linux but it died.
Any ideas?

#2 ·
I have been using an Acer netbook for a year and half. I am happy with it. The battery life is good.

I move from boat to boat so I wanted something easily transported.

#5 ·
I'll second the Lenovo for quality, but the Acer or similar Netbook certainly has the edge in smaller format. It may depend greatly on what software you need to load onto it - some of the netbooks don't have CD or DVD drives, making loading software more of a bother (e.g. using an external optical drive).

#6 ·
Jackdale (and the rest of you guys too), besides the manufacturer, can you tell me the model numbers too? I've been looking at Acer too, but they have about a dozen netbook models and I'm having a hard time figuring out what is best for me. I'm looking for a computer that can load something like Coastal Explorer, be able to emulate a second station in my Raymarine E80 set up, be able to uplink email and such into an ICOM SSB, have wifi and skype capability, long battery life, run basic Word and Excel, be able to store MP3 files and movies etc. Just your basic cruising computer that does it all!

#7 ·
I've had good luck with my ACER 1410. Take it on the boat and whenever I go traveling. Did have to replace the battery after a couple of years of heavy use, but replacement was less than $40 on Amazon. Light (about 3 lbs), 11.6" screen, dual-core processor, and runs Win7 Home Premium 64-bit. Models have changed since then, but they still make similar machines. I'd buy another similar one if this one died.

#8 ·
Acer Aspire One 522-BZ623

Win 7 Starter
Open CPN
Open Office
Grib readers (2 of them)

I bought an external optical drive to load CDs, etc.. I leave it at home.

Downside - I cannot adjust screen resolution so one of my teaching programs is only visible on an projector or TV screen - not fatal.

#9 ·
I kinda like my old $100 e-bay "toughbook" I bought for the boat..

Water resistant, shock resistant and plenty power to run boatware...

And the beauty is no big loss if lost, stolen or falls in the drink...

#11 ·
We use the Acer Aspire One Happy 2, it has limitations due to not having a burner or HDMI slot but great battery life and light with a 10" screen. Any new Lap top for less than $600 will do all you want and more. Remember that the bigger the screen the more power is used.
I also run both from a DC-DC power pack as most need 19V to run and charge, if you remove the battery most will run on 12v.

#15 ·
buy many cheap ones over an expensive one.
Ditto. We have a Gateway netbook that was on sale at best buy for $150. Had it for about 2 years now and it works just fine for email, web surfing, and pictures. At this price, we don't feel like we need to be overly cautious about it, whether we're traveling, on the boat, or wherever. Just one less thing to worry about.

#13 ·
Living onboard in Florida I normally buy whatever is onsale at Best Buy around Christmas. The salty environment and humidity trash them after a few years. Tossing them in and out of the dink on the way to internet cafes while cruising doesn't help them much either. Always have a backup onboard along with an external harddrive with files backup.

#14 ·
I've been happy with a Dell Latitude. They were designed for business travellers, so are more rugged than most laptops--metal case, metal hinges, shock absorbtion around the hard drive, and a membrane under the keyboard to resist spills. Not as rugged as Toughbooks, but you can buy two for less than you'd pay for one of those. Or buy an extra hard drive for $50 or so, since that's what's most likely to be damaged if it drops.
I got a refurbished D-620 on e-bay.
Make sure you buy from a lisenced refurbisher, so your Windows software is lisenced. Otherwise, you have to buy new Windows in order to keep it updated. Also be sure to get the Windows software with it so you can reload it if/when your hard drive dies.

#16 ·
I've just about decided that cheap is best so will probably go with an older Asus Eeee 7" screen. I had one that I loved. Runs Linux and has no hard drive and mem is easily expanded with an SD card. It was fast. Mine got zapped at work. I can get one for $119.

#20 ·
Four adults in my family means a lot of laptop useage. We always buy from Staples bedcause: nearly all the salesmen also work in their repair desk, and therefore know shich units THIS year are standing up to abuse, and their extended warranties are cheap at twice the price. They have always been cheerfully willing to look at/fix/discuss problems. Frequently when we go in with a problem, they fix the problem without starting any paperwork.

#21 ·
I like Asus brand. Reason is the one year damage warranty including liquid.

I buy from staples, on my visa card.

Staples often has great prices on laptops. I usually don't bother with extra warranty, but they usually beat other retailers prices.

Visa gives me 90 days of theft damage or other failure. Then Asus covers me for the next 9 months.

I resell regularly, usually around 2 years old.

A two year old laptop often sells easily, often for close to what I paid, then the process starts over.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.