SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Notebook computer for cruising (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/92258-notebook-computer-cruising.html)

Frogwatch 09-19-2012 03:12 PM

Notebook computer for cruising

I seem to have bad luck with small computers (and cell phones) and my 10" Toshiba just quit and Toshiba will not honor their warranty. So, can anyone reccomend a small notebook computer for taking on cruising trips, camping, and other? travel? Speed is not an issue and I do not play games. Unfortunately a tablet is not an answer because Android nor the Apple system will run the software I need for work. So, it should be either Windows 7 (or XP). I loved my tiny Asus EE with 7" screen that ran under Linux but it died.
Any ideas?

jackdale 09-19-2012 03:39 PM

Re: Notebook computer for cruising

I have been using an Acer netbook for a year and half. I am happy with it. The battery life is good.

I move from boat to boat so I wanted something easily transported.

flyingjib 09-19-2012 04:35 PM

As a former IBMer, I suggest Lenovo (they used to be IBM) ThinkPads T series. Not much to look at but very durable.

telecam 09-19-2012 06:20 PM

Notebook computer for cruising

I love my HP Folio. Fast, light and power savy.

Brewgyver 09-19-2012 07:52 PM

I'll second the Lenovo for quality, but the Acer or similar Netbook certainly has the edge in smaller format. It may depend greatly on what software you need to load onto it - some of the netbooks don't have CD or DVD drives, making loading software more of a bother (e.g. using an external optical drive).

GeorgeB 09-19-2012 08:10 PM

Jackdale (and the rest of you guys too), besides the manufacturer, can you tell me the model numbers too? I've been looking at Acer too, but they have about a dozen netbook models and I'm having a hard time figuring out what is best for me. I'm looking for a computer that can load something like Coastal Explorer, be able to emulate a second station in my Raymarine E80 set up, be able to uplink email and such into an ICOM SSB, have wifi and skype capability, long battery life, run basic Word and Excel, be able to store MP3 files and movies etc. Just your basic cruising computer that does it all!

JimsCAL 09-19-2012 08:31 PM

I've had good luck with my ACER 1410. Take it on the boat and whenever I go traveling. Did have to replace the battery after a couple of years of heavy use, but replacement was less than $40 on Amazon. Light (about 3 lbs), 11.6" screen, dual-core processor, and runs Win7 Home Premium 64-bit. Models have changed since then, but they still make similar machines. I'd buy another similar one if this one died.

jackdale 09-19-2012 08:39 PM

Acer Aspire One 522-BZ623

Win 7 Starter
Open CPN
Open Office
Grib readers (2 of them)

I bought an external optical drive to load CDs, etc.. I leave it at home.

Downside - I cannot adjust screen resolution so one of my teaching programs is only visible on an projector or TV screen - not fatal.

Squidd 09-19-2012 09:11 PM

I kinda like my old $100 e-bay "toughbook" I bought for the boat..

Water resistant, shock resistant and plenty power to run boatware...

And the beauty is no big loss if lost, stolen or falls in the drink...

LoboPops 09-19-2012 09:16 PM

Wanted to keep my bias out of it but here is some information for you:

Rugged Laptop: Choices & Specs for Buying Rugged Laptops

It should help you in your search and indicate some things that you might not think of at the time.

Good luck.