Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-20-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Help Please - Replacement Items Needed

If I were trying this case in Virginia, I would want your testimony about the fair market value and replacement costs, along with expert testimony by someone who deals in those kinds of parts and who could give an opinion of fair market value based on your photos and his knowledge of the items.

I know there are used marine parts eBay sellers in Florida. You could hire one of them as your appraiser and expert witness. I assume you have photos and an inventory of the items removed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

The challenge is that many, MANY things in Taiwanese boats were hand made to fit, and the chances of finding an exact replacement are pretty slim. I know that I now no longer assume that anything on my boat (also of Taiwanese beginnings) was made by someone who was familiar with either a ruler or a square. The salvage yard option will work for some stuff, but I fear that you will still need to have someone skilled come and make adjustments to either the part or the boat to make sure that it fits properly. It could well be that getting something used and having to make it fit will cost more that just having a new piece made.

I still think that having a tradesman provide an estimate for outright fabrication is worthwhile. If nothing else it will be another set of data for debate in the proceeding. I personally feel that depreciation is not warranted for all items; a wheel pretty much has the same life expectancy as the boat, same goes for the table, etc. For an auto insurance claim, they don't depreciate the cost of a new fender so why would they in this case?

Speaking of which, if you've got insurance this may be covered as theft -- in which case a surveyor may or may not need to have a look see.

Sourcing replacements for the hardware is gonna take some time on the internet. You probably won't be able to find exact replacements, but should be able to come fairly close. Don't forget to add nuts, bolts, etc, where needed.

For an earlier thread that has contact info for many marine consignment shops, go here
Old 09-20-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

" Don't forget to add nuts, bolts, etc, where needed. "

What about installation cost? Maybe the best bet is to get a quote from the yard for
making the boat whole again.

What happened to the original items? Yes I understand it was stated the ex took them, but what did he do with them?
Old 09-20-2012

CChelle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
...along with expert testimony by someone who deals in those kinds of parts and who could give an opinion of fair market value based on your photos and his knowledge of the items ... I assume you have photos and an inventory of the items removed.
Thank you for the advice, and yes, I have detailed pictures of every square inch of my boat, including the items he took. And even better, I have pictures he sent me - showing some things in his possession. Yes, you read that right. And the icing on the cake - I have 2 marina people who have already provided statements, and will testify they saw him on the boat often times without me, and saw him removing items from the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
The challenge is that many, MANY things in Taiwanese boats were hand made to fit, and the chances of finding an exact replacement are pretty slim ... It could well be that getting something used and having to make it fit will cost more that just having a new piece made ... I still think that having a tradesman provide an estimate for outright fabrication is worthwhile ... Speaking of which, if you've got insurance this may be covered as theft -- in which case a surveyor may or may not need to have a look see.
I am learning you are so right! And I thank you for the feedback, and the link. I do have insurance, and have tried, so hard, to avoid the whole police/jail/court option. However, if he absolutely refuses to return the items then I will do what I need to do. It's just such a shame when people do these types of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
What about installation cost? Maybe the best bet is to get a quote from the yard for making the boat whole again.

What happened to the original items? Yes I understand it was stated the ex took them, but what did he do with them?
Great advice! And I actually just got off of the phone with one (looking for the items) and we were talking about pricing even if I could find them. I suppose having someone in the business providing a statement of costs is the way to go if I can't actually get quotes and pricing for each individual item. As for what happened to them? No clue. The last I saw, in the text pictures he sent me, they were at his place of business. I have all but begged him to return them to me (even drop them off at my house while I'm not there) as it would be better on us both if he would do so. For all I know he's thrown them in the dumpster.