Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Securing dinghy on davits

Damn Minnie,,,Thats a second boat you are carrying with you. Nice set up.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Damn Minnie,,,Thats a second boat you are carrying with you. Nice set up.

Dave
Yea. One minute, it's a fun run about. The next, it's a real PITA and I wish I just had a light weight inflatable with a tiller motor like everyone else. Seems so easy to deal with.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-22-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Securing dinghy on davits

Just a small point; everyone seems to use a similar system with webbing. That is good and effective. We use an old halyard that clips onto attachment points on our hard dinghy so it can be pulled in to the boat and other lines that cross cross for springs. Everything is rock solid. To create the tension required, simply make truckers hitches and tighten down as needed. I tie the line at the hitch in such a way that it can be released quickly in the event of an emergency. Quick and inexpensive.

Tod
MedSailor likes this.

Last edited by Gladrags1; 09-22-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-22-2012

Gene T is on a distinguished road

Tod, I've never used a truckers hitch but I plan to find uses for it. Thanks!

Gene

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Old 09-24-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

+1 on the trucker's hitch. Once you know it, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. Also, you will find those silly ratcheting straps useless....

How to tie the trucker's hitch (or any other knot for that matter):
Trucker's Hitch | How to tie a Trucker's Hitch | Boating Knots

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 09-24-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
+1 on the trucker's hitch. Once you know it, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. Also, you will find those silly ratcheting straps useless....

How to tie the trucker's hitch (or any other knot for that matter):
Trucker's Hitch | How to tie a Trucker's Hitch | Boating Knots

MedSailor
To each his own, but I know the trucker's hitch and use it, just not for the dinghy. To keep several hundred pounds from moving when healed over 30 degrees, it requires a lot more tension that I believe I could get with that hitch. Our motor stays on the dinghy in the davits. In fact, we often tighten the windward ratchet, which unloads when healed, to keep the dinghy from squeaking on the davits. I can't imagine untying the hitches, tightening and retying is going to work as easily as a couple of clicks on the ratchet.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-24-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
To each his own, but I know the trucker's hitch and use it, just not for the dinghy. To keep several hundred pounds from moving when healed over 30 degrees, it requires a lot more tension that I believe I could get with that hitch. Our motor stays on the dinghy in the davits. In fact, we often tighten the windward ratchet, which unloads when healed, to keep the dinghy from squeaking on the davits. I can't imagine untying the hitches, tightening and retying is going to work as easily as a couple of clicks on the ratchet.
The variation of the trucker's hitch that is in the animated knots website shows only one loop for a 1:1 purchase. If you tie several overhand knots you can run your line between them to make a 2:1, 3:1 or even 5:1 purchase. It makes for a great (high friction) poor man's pulley.

Since you are using ratcheting straps, have you found some that don't rust right away?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 09-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
The variation of the trucker's hitch that is in the animated knots website shows only one loop for a 1:1 purchase. If you tie several overhand knots you can run your line between them to make a 2:1, 3:1 or even 5:1 purchase. It makes for a great (high friction) poor man's pulley.

Since you are using ratcheting straps, have you found some that don't rust right away?

MedSailor
Fair point, I've not ever made several passes before wrapping the half hitches. That probably would keep from losing that slight amount of tension as you secure the first hitch. But I still think it would be more difficult to adjust underway.

Yes, we have stainless steel ratchets and hooks. Still going strong, its the webbing I should replace on one. I acknowledged above that SS is a requirement. Hardware store stuff won't last a season exposed to saltwater.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 09-25-2012

sck5 is on a distinguished road

I also use 1 inch webbing with ratchets. It took a while experimenting to figure out which way to run them to completely immobilize the dink. We hold it tight against a fender attached to the stern rail, slightly tilted down toward the drain plug (DONT FORGET TO PLUG IT AGAIN BEFORE DROPPING IT!!)

As for ratchets I have had really good luck with trucker sites which sell ratchets advertised as "impervious to road salt" WAY cheaper than the ones sold by e.g. Kato which are also good but cost more. Check here for ex.

Wide Handle Stainless Steel Type 304 Ratchet for 1 Webbing

also some here

stainless steel tie downs for marine and corrosive environments. Stainless steel hand tools. Cargo tie downs. Marine tools. Hand tools. Ratchet tie downs
Old 09-25-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

sck5...great looking rachets and advice.

Sck5/ Minnie... I am a newbie when it comes to them. Does one end of them get sewn onto the the web and the other end thern come through the jaws to be tightened by the ractchet? or is the rachet applied to a free loose strap. no ewnds connected. Can the ratchet be loosened easily by just pulling upward on the lever or is their a release?

I may decide to use them as it would be easilier than the way I tighten mine which works, but this looks like an improvement and I am all for that.

Dave

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.