Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Securing dinghy on davits

Well, I've finally done it. just installed some davits (Nova by Forespar). Looks like I will need to pull it in about 6 inches to secure it while underway. It seems to me like it would be nice to readjust the aft sling (shorten the outboard side) to keep the dinghy level after I tie it up to the aft rail. I won't have the option to try it out till next week yet but was looking for any advice on securing and slings.

Thanks
Gene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Securing dinghy on davits

We have a dinghly on Garhauer davits. My wife customized a taylor cover by putting slits for the triangle lift straps to come through. It has a rubberized drawstring hem around the bottom so it syas on the dinghy and protects it from the sun. We place a beach ball under it to tent it so the water runs off. We also have two blue small fenders attached to the rear rail between the davit hoist arms

After we raise the dinghy. we have 3 long 1 inch web stray pieces approximently 28- 30 ft long which we throw one end over the top of the dinghy, under the cross piece of the davits and fish up with and under the bottom rear rail piece. Our Garhauer davits hace cleats on them so we secure the top end of the web strap to that. We pull the bottom ends of the three straps we have fished pulling the dinghy tight to the back rail against the fenders. Then these straps also get secured on the cleats. Our dinghy doesnt move one inch even in major seas and wind.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-20-2012

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We have a dinghly on Garhauer davits. My wife customized a taylor cover by putting slits for the triangle lift straps to come through. It has a rubberized drawstring hem around the bottom so it syas on the dinghy and protects it from the sun. We place a beach ball under it to tent it so the water runs off. We also have two blue small fenders attached to the rear rail between the davit hoist arms

After we raise the dinghy. we have 3 long 1 inch web stray pieces approximently 28- 30 ft long which we throw one end over the top of the dinghy, under the cross piece of the davits and fish up with and under the bottom rear rail piece. Our Garhauer davits hace cleats on them so we secure the top end of the web strap to that. We pull the bottom ends of the three straps we have fished pulling the dinghy tight to the back rail against the fenders. Then these straps also get secured on the cleats. Our dinghy doesnt move one inch even in major seas and wind.

Dave
Can you post pictures, please? One of the things that drove me nuts about our dinghy on the Gem was we could never get it tied down secure enough to keep from moving. In fact, multiple Gems reported the davits snapping in heavy seas on ocean crossings. I'd really like to avoid all that and have a good plan for the Irwin going forward.
Old 09-20-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We use three ratchet straps. One from the forward dinghy D ring and back to the center and tied to a pushpit stanchion. Another from a stern attachment inside the dinghy, again back to a pushpit stanchion. These act like spring lines and keep it from moving side to side. The third goes from the same aft attachment, over the dinghy transom and under the dinghy back to the same pushpit stanchion. The two straps coming from the aft, one leading above the dinghy and the other below, act to stabilize up and down motion.

We ratchet them down very tightly.

Must use stainless steal ratchets, which are hard to find. Hardware store varieties will rust to an unusable condition in one season.

Sorry, no pics available from here.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-20-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

We have our dinghy rigged so that when raised it isn't level. Our drain plug is on the starboard side of the transom so we have the starboard side lower by about 6". The bow comes up tight against the bottom of the davit and is snugged down and we have a line at the transom that goes under one tube (inflatable) and then is secured with a truckers hitch to the center of our stern pulpit (pulls toward the bow). The dink doesn't move at all. Sorry no pics.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 09-20-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The transom of our dinghy is also lower than the bow, but only by an inch or two so that water flows toward the plug. I've seen many with a severe tilt toward the plug, but wonder if it really expedites drainage through the 1 inch hole.

Another tip. I tie a string to the drain plug and the other end to a fix point in the dinghy for two reasons. First, its harder to lose. Second, and more importantly, I hang it over the davits when hoisted so that I can visually see that I didn't forget to remove it. If the dinghy filled with rain water on the davits, it would tear them off the boat.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-20-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I concur, we alson have it tilted slightly down toward drain plug which I renove when it it up on davits. The cover alllows very little water in the dinghy though.

MMR I will get pitcures this weekend. The straps go around the dinght and are not attached to any of the atytachment points on the dinghy for ear of eventually pulling them off /

Dave
jrd22 and MMR like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-20-2012

tomhuntdmd is on a distinguished road

We have Garhauer davitts and use these West Marine 20' ratcheting trailer tiedowns for our 10' AquaPro RIB. They are very secure in big seas, easy to put on, and won't rust. WEST MARINE Tiedown at West Marine
Old 09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
......The straps go around the dinght and are not attached to any of the atytachment points on the dinghy for ear of eventually pulling them off....
I used to have the same concern, particularly about the D-ring. Knock on wood, its never even shown a sign of strain. When healed to starboard the D-ring is taking the side load and the inflatable tube is showing strain before the D-ring. Surprising, I know. On the other side, the straps are hooked to an eye bolt that comes up through the hard floor of our RIB.

Just for scale and effectiveness, our dink is an 11.5 foot hard bottom with second flat floor, a 20hp motor, gas tank, start battery, anchor and a center console. It's ridiculous really, but my point is, it must weigh 450 pounds hanging on the davits and the straps have held for 6 years running. In fact, the metal davit on the motor side is what worries me.

Fingers crossed.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 09-21-2012

Gene T is on a distinguished road

Good information guys, thanks. I will be hoisting the dink for the first time on Sunday so can play with some of your ideas then. I won't store the dink on the davits as it has a place on a rack at the marina. Will only use it for trips to the islands. I will remove the davits while at the dock to keep the slip rent down.

Currently in Long Beach, CA