Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-21-2012

rtawood is on a distinguished road
Maintenance on a swing keel

Hi all,

I just bought a 1979 Vision 660 aka DS22. It looks to be in pretty good shape overall, excellent sails including furling genoa, hull looks sound, the interior has been well cared for. A few gelcoat chips here and there and a bit of varnishing is needed. However, I bought the boat on the trailer and I have no idea if the swing keel works. I only paid $2800 for the boat together with a decent outboard and trailer, so it seems like a good deal. Anyway, I plan to get everything ready for next Spring so that I am good to go. Can anyone advise how I might go about testing and/or servicing the swing keel before the boat is launched?

The previous owner said that he used a hammer and a piece of rebar to force the keel down, from inside the cabin, first sail of the season, and then it was ok. I have read this trick elsewhere and it seems sticking swing keels are the main issue with this boat. I have no idea how I could remove the swing keel or even if that is possible on the trailer. I was wondering if I could grease the casing but I don't want to leave a slick behind my boat wherever I go. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Richard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2012

TimM is on a distinguished road
Re: Maintenance on a swing keel

Jack it up block it and pull the trailor out.
Or take it to a marina with slings
Or a local construction company with a crane take the boat to the crane maybe 100 bucks.
Snap straps like used by 4x4 guys, come alongs and the hand part tree,beam.
Boat may weigh 2500 lbs
Old 09-22-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

I believe that forum member AllThumbs redid a DS 22 not too long ago. Nice boat. You can search for his posts. He's also in CAnada.

I wouldn't use a grease on the swing keel pivot. Something like Marvel Myster Oil which has rust inhibitors in it and is a very light weight oil (~5W) would help but not make a lasting oil slick around your boat. I know that MMO is not so easy to find in Canada but they may have SeaFoam or something like it.

Were you able to inspect the swing keel before you bought it?

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-23-2012

Thanks, I'll check for the other post as well. No, I didn't get a chance to check the keel as it was on the trailer and had not been in the water this season. The owner told me he didn't have time this year to sail it. I might try and get some stands and jack the boat up from the trailer a bit to see if I can move the keel at all. Otherwise, I guess I will have to wait until I put it in the water and then see if it goes down ok. If not then back on the trailer and off to a boat yard. No idea what a repair would cost. Depends on the problem I guess. Then again, it could be fine as it is. Would love to know before I launch though!
Old 07-10-2013

albertmurphy is on a distinguished road

I also have a DS22 and have tried hard to find info on how the "crank" mechanism works as it is a web strap that appears to hold it up. I've tried to bang it down with a pipe and hammer but won't budge.
Have you found out any more info on how this is supposed to work? Is there a bolt that locks it in place? My boat is in the water so I don't really know what's down there.
Thanks for any help or links on this boat.
Albert Murphy
Vancouver BC

604-839-0788
Old 07-11-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

If you need a sling, the Royal St. Lawrence has one to rent. A shipwright resides there, for an opinion on your keel. Speak to the manager, David Fleet.
Old 07-11-2013

pauloman is on a distinguished road

had a similar problem on a small daysailor I purchased years ago. Sitting on the trailer deforms the bottom of the hull - slightly pinching the board opening in the bottom of the hull . Slightly enlarging the openning with a grinder working under the boat solved the problem. Probably removed about 1/8 inch of gel coat etc. on each side of the opening.
Old 07-11-2013

Tallswede is on a distinguished road

I'm not familiar with your boat but I had a Gulf Coast 22 with a cast iron swing keel. Cast Iron has a tendency to corrode and swell, jamming itself into a tight slot. What I did with mine was suspend the boat with slings, removed the pivot pin and dropped the keel out onto the trailer. I then pulled the trailer out and ground the keel clean with a wire wheel on my grinder. I then faired the keel with epoxy and painted it with epoxy paint. I then reinstalled it and had no more trouble for several years until I sold the boat. The swing keel was still working fine.

Kevin
Old 07-12-2013

Hi Albert,

So it's been a while since I originally posted about the swing keel on my DS22. The boat was on the trailer when I bought it and had been out of the water for a year or two, so it was pretty dried out. I put some blocks of wood under the stern and then jacked up the bow with a trolley jack and another block of wood. I raised the boat about four inches and was then able to put a piece of rebar down the centreboard slot from inside the cabin and pound the centreboard with a hammer. I could see the centreboard by looking down the slot using a flashlight, and I placed the rebar as far aft as possible away from the pivot. The board came down as far as it could (on the trailer), so I liberally squirted WD40 around where the pivot should be and hoisted it up and down a bunch of times. There was some rust flakes left on the trailer afterwards.

The boat is now in the water and the centreboard went down ok with just a small tap using the rebar. It has been in the water for about six weeks now and I haven't tried to lift it up again yet. I guess if it swells in the water then I'm going to have problems lifting it.

There is no locking pin and the webbing/pulley assembly is just for hoisting the board up again. The only way that it locks up on my boat is by passing the rope (attached to the end of the webbing) through a cam cleat on the centreboard casing. If you need to take the board off completely then you will have to remove the pivot pin by grinding away the gelcoat and then tapping it out. This looks like a pretty major job to undertake.

By the way, there is a DS20/22 owners group on Yahoo Groups. I think this is the link to access it DS20-22-DillerSchwill20-22-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Good luck!

Richard
Old 06-16-2014

DS22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtawood View Post
Hi Albert,

So it's been a while since I originally posted about the swing keel on my DS22. The boat was on the trailer when I bought it and had been out of the water for a year or two, so it was pretty dried out. I put some blocks of wood under the stern and then jacked up the bow with a trolley jack and another block of wood. I raised the boat about four inches and was then able to put a piece of rebar down the centreboard slot from inside the cabin and pound the centreboard with a hammer. I could see the centreboard by looking down the slot using a flashlight, and I placed the rebar as far aft as possible away from the pivot. The board came down as far as it could (on the trailer), so I liberally squirted WD40 around where the pivot should be and hoisted it up and down a bunch of times. There was some rust flakes left on the trailer afterwards.

The boat is now in the water and the centreboard went down ok with just a small tap using the rebar. It has been in the water for about six weeks now and I haven't tried to lift it up again yet. I guess if it swells in the water then I'm going to have problems lifting it.

There is no locking pin and the webbing/pulley assembly is just for hoisting the board up again. The only way that it locks up on my boat is by passing the rope (attached to the end of the webbing) through a cam cleat on the centreboard casing. If you need to take the board off completely then you will have to remove the pivot pin by grinding away the gelcoat and then tapping it out. This looks like a pretty major job to undertake.

By the way, there is a DS20/22 owners group on Yahoo Groups. I think this is the link to access it DS20-22-DillerSchwill20-22-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Good luck!

Richard
Hi all, Just found this thread. I have a 1986 DS22 here in Montreal with a seriously jammed centreboard. The c/b hasn't worked for years and now the boat started taking about 2in of water inside. It seems to be coming from the keel box. I have the boat back on the hard and on blocks and jacks to give room to drop/extract the c/b..

I have been clearing rust and mussels for hours on each side of the c/b, still won't budge. Today I tried to unscrew the retaining plates under the pin but only the right side comes off and sure enough, water was coming out of the screw holes. The c/b still won't budge. I

t really appears jammed in there solidly. I am guessing that after a bit more cleaning I will just drill a hole from inside and try using a 5/8in bolt or rod to hammer the c/b down from above.

As I see the last responses and updates are from a while back, I thought I should ask how it went, hoping an easy fix could be found.

Once I get the c/b off, I will grind it down and finish it to minimize the rust return. Then I have to find out where the water is getting in...

Hopefully there will still be a sailing season left by then.

Mark ('Antares')

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.