Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-24-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: What else could I have done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Well David, this recovery kind'a puts paid to the idea of the "poor quality" of Beneteau construction, eh? Good for you.

After looking at the damage to your bow roller--

--and your chafed snubber/pendent, I suspect that the failure was caused by the plunging of the bow in the seas. With the bow down and driven the starboard, and yet a taught starboard pendent, I could see the snubber/pendent easily being "hooked" by the starboard side plate of the bow roller as the bow rose. With that, the pendent would have loaded up the side plate with each subsequent plunge and roll of the yacht, overloading the plate across the plane of the plate and eventually breaking it off while certainly deeply chafing the pendent at a point where it was unprotected. When that finally snapped leaving only a single snubber/pendent on the port side, the boat's fate was likely sealed. I don't know if a pin, alone, in the forward most pin-holes on the roller fitting would have prevented the foregoing but it might have helped. A bowed "keeper" strap between the outboard side plates, held by the roller pins, would prevent the possibility entirely.

FWIW...
Noting that the OP said the pendant was in the chock, and noting the wear on the chock, the above sounds completly correct. I would spend some real effort figuring out how to keep the pendant out of the roller. Or find a nice sheltered marina.

The wear pattern on the chock also confirms that the pendant is way too short. Would a longer pendant had a lesser or greater tendancy to jump? Less, I think, as the boat would not be hauled down so sharply through waves. The pendant length may have been the most important factor.
davidpm likes this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

David,
Thank you for starting this thread. While I do not live on a mooring, much information here is good for securing a boat in a slip in a big blow. And thanks to mainesail for your input. Those pictures of boats on a mooring are real eye openers given one could be anchored in such a situation.
davidpm likes this.
Old 09-24-2012

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

Dyneema mooring pendants have extremely high tensile strength, great abrasion and UV resistance, and ultra low elongation, which reduces the chafing at the chock which arises when the line between the chock and the cleat stretches. The dyneema pendant should be coupled with a nylon mooring pendant which provides stretch to provides shock absorption to protect your deck hardware and mooring chain. Below the dyneema pendant I use Yale Octobrait, which provides about 75% more shock absorbation than comparable three strand. BoatUS has written positively about this combination. The Octoplait is a bear to splice.
davidpm likes this.

Last edited by Hudsonian; 09-24-2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-25-2012

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road

David,
Sorry to hear you wound upon the beach, happy to hear minimum
damage and you still have a rudder!
I just made it to my mooring last Tuesday morning after beating
into the build up all night Monday (from Orient to Steppingstone
70 miles/14 hours).
During Hurricane Gloria 1985 my current boat was 2 months old,
chafed thru pendants and landed on a sandy beach also.
For what its worth, right or wrong...I dug a huge hole around the keel and the rudder (more around the rudder) so when we pulled
the line from the bow the boat stayed parallel to the beach and flipped. (not as dramatic as it sounds) Boat had some immediate
buoyancy and was no real resistance on the rudder as she has
pulled to deeper water.
As we are also exposed, being right on the sound...
Big fan of using as long a mooring chain as allowed.
Shackle on a extra lazy pendant. (polydyne) when severe weather coming.
Removing all sails, bimini etc.
Then just have to worry about the neighboring boats going bump
in the night.
Best,
Hugo
davidpm likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.