Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012
Living the dream

ReefMagnet is on a distinguished road
Re: Paint Remover for anti-fouling paint

General purpose paint thinners dissolve ablative antifouls remarkably well albeit a bit messily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2012
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

I stripped my boat 40' and did it with sheet 80 grit wet and dry keeping the anti foul wet at all times.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 09-25-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

The drywall sanding technique is intriguing and would like try it sometime. But when we stripped our boat's bottom 4 years ago, I used a 3/4" wood chisel and the paint just peeled off. No dust and not that much elbow pressure needed. Two of us did all 38' in a 10 hour day. I sande the bottom with a a shop-n-vac hooked to a 6" random orbit sander using 80 grit followed by 120 grit disks. That took 6 hours down to the gel coat all around. All together it was 26 man hours; not bad given the scope of the job and 20 layers of paint.

I would not try to sand the whole thing off and would NOT use anything except a random orbit sander in any phase. Strippers are expensive and take a lot of time to work. I saw a guy work for days getting paint off and it probably cost a fortune. But others on SailNet have done it so I'll defer to their opinion.
Old 09-26-2012

JoeLena is on a distinguished road

I used the Aqua Strip product. Put it on thick, wait a couple hours depending on temp, place plastic underneath and scrape it of. Took 2 applications and still had to sand, but it works quite well to get a couple layers off. You can get it online at Home Depot by the gallon much cheaper than the marine stores.

One gallon did my Rhodes 19.
Old 09-28-2012

SJ34 is on a distinguished road

I've tried chemical and mechanical methods. I prefer mechanical, ie. 80 grit discs on a variable speed angle grinder/polisher. Whatever you choose to do, cover yourself up and wear really good goggles or dust proof face mask. A full face air purifying respirator works best, especially if you decide to sand. Antifouling dust is murder on the eyes...and lungs.
Old 09-28-2012

daledog is on a distinguished road

I used a long handle heavy scraper to take my T37 down. The scraper worked great...just a lot of muscle and determination. No easy way. and using paint removers is just adding a toxin into an already toxic procedure....
Old 09-30-2012

cousineddy is on a distinguished road

I got the aircraft stripper. $30 at West Marine. Applied it, then tried to use a pressure washer to remove it. That did not work. The paint hardens as soon as it gets wet. So I broke down and followed the instructions. Do small areas at a time and use a scraper. It took 4 applications to get most of the paint off, since there is 4 or 5 layers. In the end, you are just smearing the paint around with the scaper. As soon as it dries, its hard paint again. Its a mess and a waste of time. Just got some 60 grit on a 5" orbital 3 amp sander, change the disks alot, got over halfway done in one day. So, I guess there is no easy way. Just sand it.....or scrape it I guess. (I hate anti-fouling paint)
Old 10-08-2012

cousineddy is on a distinguished road

Finally got all the paint off the bottom. Ended up using a combination of suggestions. In the thick areas, I used stripper, followed by wet sanding with a dry wall screen, then finally dry sanding to the gel coat. Took two weekends. One thing to say is that it has affected my health. Skin irritations, and rash, crappy overall blahh feeling. I had eye protection, a respiratior, didnt use gloves except for when stripping. Wore shorts the first weekend, then long sleeves and jeans the second. That stuff is nasty. It seemed to have paint going back to 1979 when the boat was built. Thats before they banned the real toxic antifouling ingrediants. Just saying, cover as much of your skin as possible, especially your face or you could become the toxic avenger. The boats gunna look nice, but at what expense? I read that the TFT in older paints cause girl marine life to grow a penis. Not good, not good at all.

Tags
anti-fouling , paint , remover

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.