SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Anyone have their davits set up for one person to use? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/92459-anyone-have-their-davits-set-up-one-person-use.html)

MedSailor 09-26-2012 01:02 AM

Anyone have their davits set up for one person to use?

My current davit setup is "temporary" to say the least. I would post a photo but then I would loose what shreds of brackish credibility I may have here. My problem with half-measure temporary fixes is that sometimes they work and when they do, I'd rather go sailing than spend the day fixing them... My sailing season has likely come to an end this year so I can now focus on projects.

My current davit setup, and planned future upgrades, are pretty standard. Two stainless arms, some pulleys on each, and TWO ropes to lower the tender. Problem is that it takes two to lower or raise. I "could" raise or lower the tender by doing it 3 feet at a time on each side and cleating off each side, but that's not quick nor easy.

Anyone have suggestions for making the davits solo-friendly?

MedSailor

chef2sail 09-26-2012 05:22 AM

Re: Anyone have their davits set up for one person to use?

I singlehand a lot and use the dinghy from davits. I do one side at a time half the way then switch sides, not really inconvenient at all. Most of thr time I pullthe dinghy up even with the wife on board. Have Garhauer 11/4 tubes with 6x1 purchase. Cam cleats after the blocks so i can lovk on side easily beore pulling the other. Quite easy actually.

Dave

Minnewaska 09-26-2012 06:45 AM

I swap side to side as well. Three stages on each side. For the end of the dinghy with the motor, I bring the line back to the primary winch on that side. I can pull up the bow by hand.

PorFin 09-26-2012 08:36 AM

It's usually a one-person job here as well (and you know who is that one person...)

Cam cleats make all the difference.

Maine Sail 09-26-2012 08:54 AM

It's always a one person job for me but we have cam cleats for the davit lines... Going up I do port then stbd then port then stbd. Going down I can hold and deploy both port and stbd lines at the same time...

chucklesR 09-26-2012 09:31 AM

I do the side to side dance -

The only way I could see doing away with the dance is to put a turning block on the davits and another amid ships, they would need guide blocks/eyes as well.

By the time you get done doing that you'd have so much induced friction you'd likely need a winch as well - and the lines would have to be of equal length (not likely).

You could rig a four point hoist onto the dinghy and connect to a single lift line (like some trawlers do), but you better eat your wheaties because that's going to be a heck of a pull to get a dinghy up (e.g., my 115 pound RIB and it's 50 pound motor).

pdqaltair 09-26-2012 10:01 AM

Lowering. Easy, just stand in the middle and hold both lines.

Raising. Side to side. Really, it would be a lot of weight to do at once, which would mean more tackle and more friction, or winches.... and not easier. Because the blocks swivel and have cam cleats, I don't have to walk side to side, only pull right, pull left, pull right.... And there's no harm in lefting a few feet at a time.

As everyone has suggested, a 6:1 tackle and cam cleats is the way to go. So easy my girl could manage it when she was 13.

Sail Delmarva: Better Purchase for Dingy Davits

Minnewaska 09-26-2012 01:28 PM

Yes, cam cleats here as well as two horns on the top of the davit.

beachbm61 10-24-2012 08:30 PM

I'm always the one raising the dinghy by myself. I've got a 4:1 purchase. Should have gone with 6:1 so the lady could do it by herself.. I normally pull both lines at the same time. Our dink is a light Mercury RIB with a small 2 stroke 6hp Merc.

redline 11-01-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdqaltair (Post 926764)
Lowering. Easy, just stand in the middle and hold both lines.

Raising. Side to side. Really, it would be a lot of weight to do at once, which would mean more tackle and more friction, or winches.... and not easier. Because the blocks swivel and have cam cleats, I don't have to walk side to side, only pull right, pull left, pull right.... And there's no harm in lefting a few feet at a time.

As everyone has suggested, a 6:1 tackle and cam cleats is the way to go. So easy my girl could manage it when she was 13.

Sail Delmarva: Better Purchase for Dingy Davits

Thanks for the mention of checking the Harken site for the 90-degree reeving of the 6:1 tackle. I upgraded from 4:1 to 6:1 when I change to a 15Hp outboard on our 3.1m RIB, and however I rigged it (same as all the other boats I saw with triple blocks), there was always a high-friction crossover.

One caveat: the Harken drawing looks wrong on the webpage,

Harken Reeving Diagrams

(the line on the becket crosses in front two others), but clicking "print version"

http://www.harken.com/pdf/6-1_reeving-diagram.pdf

gives a much clearer and correct view.

Oh, and I also hoist from the center, alternating sides. I can start pulling both lines together, but once the aft end is out of water, no way.