Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: Heating Your Boat

I have two of the Alladin, Lox-on mantle kero lamps. These are typically hard to find at decent prices. New units start at nearer $200. With an accessory or two; gimbal mt and reflector, retail can run double that...

I found mine in GA of all places , at a junk shop. They IIRC, I only paid $85 each. They also had a whole raft of the circular wick types @ the same price. Fortunately, I live in Amish-country and have access to outlets that still stock parts and supplies for the Alladins.
The biggest trouble with the Alladins is size. They are almost 18" tall without reflector or heat stop-cap. Add a gimbal mount or hanger and ya'd need a whole lotta headroom ta swing one Lotsa light; but if ya don't adjust them properly, they will soot-up and smoke like a choo-choo train and drive ya out.
HTH,
Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

For heating while underway on axillary power, we have a Heater Craft heater that uses the heat from the engine coolant. The unit is fitted with a variable speed fan and it readily heats the boat, even for several hours after we've shut the engine down. See (click on) Heater Craft
olson34 likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 10-24-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

I had a small Coleman tent propane heater but I will be getting one of these for when we're anchored out...otherwise when on shore power I prefer the oil filled electric heaters and a small WM unit for the bilge.

Big Buddy Heater, Dual-Heating System - Walmart.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 10-24-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-24-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I had a small Coleman tent propane heater but I will be getting one of these when we're anchored out...otherwise when on shore power I prefer the oil filled electric heaters and a small WM unit for the bilge.

Big Buddy Heater, Dual-Heating System - Walmart.com

The one thing I like on this is the one one star review was that the oxygen sensor is too sensitive to low oxygen for use at altitude. Might not be good for those in Colorado, but on a boat that is a good thing. Just make sure to have a CO detector, but you should have one anyway.

Last edited by miatapaul; 10-24-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-25-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

One thing you may want to think about is noise. Have both reverse cycle and a three zone Webasco. The reverse AC makes significant fan noise whereas the hydronic heater is just about noiseless. Use the reverse AC during the day when in a slip and the hydronic at night. To save diesel turn up the thermostat of the reverse AC and run it hotter than normal for an hour before sleep then turn it off at night. This allows me to leave the hydronic at a lower temp while trying to get to sleep and sleeping with no noise.
Other thing to think about is safety. Particularly, is the heater safe to use when sailing. Some are truly unsafe if heeled beyond a certain point or bouncing around.
Old 10-28-2013

Used the Mr buddy heater this past weekend...puts out nice heat even on low. Temps dipped to the high 30s Saturday night and it took the chill off quickly in the morning. It is very sensitive, the slightest tap and it will go out which I suppose is a good thing, but I only tried it at the dock not underway. Gives off almost no smell, I left four cowl vents open to circulate fresh air. I of course turned it off before bedtime even though it has a low oxygen sensor and the boat has a CO detector. I does produce and. Open flame that heats a ceramic tile if I am not mistaken. I am guessing one propane bomb last for 2-3 hours but I didn't really time it. Good little unit for the price considering we probably anchor out in really cold nights only a few times a year, otherwise we are in a slip and use electric heaters. I recommend it for the occasional user.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 10-28-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
For heating while underway on axillary power, we have a Heater Craft heater that uses the heat from the engine coolant. The unit is fitted with a variable speed fan and it readily heats the boat, even for several hours after we've shut the engine down. See (click on) Heater Craft
Friends bought one of that type in an auto Wreckers. Super cheap. They love it.
Old 10-28-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I love my stainless airtight wood stove.I wouldn't have anything else, having lived aboard ,mostly in BC ,full time for most of 40 years . She runs up to 14 hours on a load of wood, which is free heat here in BC . Gathering wood from a beach is far more pleasant than going to work to pay for oil. The beaches are piled high with an endless supply, free for the taking. A wood stove drastically reduces your garbage output. Makes a great paper shredder. It draws zero electric power.
Friends using oil stoves spend up to $280 a month on oil, almost my total cost of living .
I have built several for people trying to get away from oil. All have been happy with the switch.
Construction sites can be a good source of firewood in cities.
Wood stoves cant overflow, run across your floor, and and set your boat on fire. A wood fire can be put out with water . You can turn them of anytime by simply shutting the air intake.
Nothing dries a boat out as quickly as a wood stove. There is nothing simpler.
When I used a super clean burning oil heater, which burned with a blue flame, I coughed a lot. Tore it out and stuck to wood, and coughed a lot less. Humans have lived alongside wood smoke a lot longer than they have lived alongside oil smoke.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 10-28-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-28-2013

Can u link that thing?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 10-29-2013

redline is on a distinguished road

I went the Espar route, love it. The D4 is maybe a little small for our 45 given the length of the duct runs to the fwd cabin and head, but a sistership has theirs beside the engine venting into the main cabin and have plenty of heat with only a few feet of ductwork.
With the programmable timer we often set it to start around 4am; it runs for an hour and takes off the chill without much power or noise. In hot weather we often use it in "vent" mode; fan only, to move air around the boat.
jimrafford likes this.