Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Re: Heating Your Boat

How cold is cold?
I did not see mention of how far north you are.

were heading south again, NC currently till mid Nov. Blankets and snuggling till morning. Heating coffee and muffins warms the boat until the sun heats things up. Thats been sufficient unless a big cold snap hits. Then either take a cheap dock for a night or fire up the honda to power our small cube heaters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post

I've been having pretty good luck using my Aladdin lantern to heat the boat recently. Aladdin lanterns, if you're not familiar, are a particular type of non-pressurized kerosene lantern that uses a mantle. In addition to being as bright as a 60W light bulb (and too bright to look directly at) they put out a LOT of heat. The manual says 2,800BTU/HR.

Just the other weekend I watched my thermostat rise by 1deg/min for 15mins after I lit my lantern. That was in the cabin of my 41ft boat with 6'10" headroom. Only the main salon was being heated, but I would guess you could heat an entire 27footer or most of a 30-35footer with one.

The lanterns are a little finicky until you get used to them, and you HAVE to use K-1 grade kerosene, but once you get the hang of them they provide lots of light and quite a bit of heat. They can also be found new for <$100.

MedSailor
i have a question. i have a 27 footer and i am looking to heat this winter. seriously thinking about living aboard her. marina fees are cheaper than rent and i could funnel some of the savings into the refit. anyhow, the above idea is interesting. the big question is one of safety. what about venting?

ok. questions already answered in the thread. i really have to read entire threads before posting. lol. wood stove is interesting. i have used them to heat before. pallet wood if free and super dry. it burns very hot sp you need much less. harder to cut up, though. have to research the wood stove idea more.

an electric heater plugged into the shore power while at the dock (when i will actually need the heat) seems the cheapest and easiest but, i am concerned that such a heater might not be enough, especially if we get another winter like last winter. however, last winter, even without heat, the boat was 10 degrees warmer inside than it was outside.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by captain jack; 08-11-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-11-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

It's probably in the thread like you say, but it doesn't need to be vented because the mantle and flu design cause near perfect combustion. You do have to watch it though, can you can't just leave it going in the other room for extended periods of time and a carbon monoxide detector is a MUST.

Also, the first symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning is a headache. It comes way before confusion or anything else, so if you get a headache and you're burning something, turn off the combustion source and investigate.

I do think the aladdin would heat a 27ft boat well, as long as it wasn't a voluminous 27 footer and you weren't somewhere really cold in the dead of winter.

As for the wood stove I found the presto/duraflame 2-3 hr logs were the best. Wax impregnated, so they essentially CAN'T get wet (I used to store them in my wet bilge next to the standing water) and they burn cooler (but plenty hot) and last for 2-3 hours like they say. I cut mine in thirds (imagine household brick size) and each log would provide 3x3hr bricks. Not bad for $3 on sale....

MedSailor

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 08-11-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Looks like the epic heater thread is no longer a sticky. Here it is for your reading pleasure:
Wood, Diesel or propane bulkhead heating stove?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 08-11-2014

thank you sir!

i am familiar with the headache thing. i lived in a drafty uninsulated or heated building for a bit, once upon a time, and i bought a k1 heater to try to have some source of heat. it didn't help much, really. not even one degree temperature rise once you got two feet away from the heater. i had more than a few headaches during that period. then i passed out in my sleep, one night. i realized that the heater had been burning gradually dirtier over time. it was a bit of a wake up call.

1971 Cal 27

Old 08-11-2014

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Quick note........

On board fireplace - YouTube

Greg

Youtube page -
Old 08-12-2014

nwsaildude is on a distinguished road

I don't live aboard and just use a small electric heater when required on my boat.

But I have some friends that do live aboard, and they have some sort of tent on their boats, one is a plain boom tent type type thing, the other is a series of hoops to hold a tarp on, he calls their boat a "Conestoga 35" since it looks like an old covered wagon.

The common thread with them is that the outside tarp / tent helps to keep things warmer down below. So at a minimum adding a cover of some sort would make your boat more comfortable and probably save some money in heating costs.

Old 08-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsaildude View Post
I don't live aboard and just use a small electric heater when required on my boat.

But I have some friends that do live aboard, and they have some sort of tent on their boats, one is a plain boom tent type type thing, the other is a series of hoops to hold a tarp on, he calls their boat a "Conestoga 35" since it looks like an old covered wagon.

The common thread with them is that the outside tarp / tent helps to keep things warmer down below. So at a minimum adding a cover of some sort would make your boat more comfortable and probably save some money in heating costs.
good thought. an air boundary between you and the outside air helps to keep things cooler, too. kind of like the loose clothing they show arabs wearing, on TV.

although, it would probably be a pain in the butt to take down every time you wanted to sail. of course, if you hae a winter like last winter and the bay is frozen over, you won't be going anywhere til the thaw, anyhow.

1971 Cal 27

Old 08-12-2014

the on board fireplace is nice. finding a place to put it in a 27' boat might prove a challenge. i wonder what their winters are like and if the oil lamp power is enough heat. having it inside the stove would be a benefit because it vents it and it provides a heat jacket to help radiate the heat.

1971 Cal 27

Last edited by captain jack; 08-12-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-12-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

captain hows your boat coming along?

hope all is well

christian

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.