SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailrite Sailbag / Stackpack

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  dvuyxx 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever made a drop-and-zip sailbag (i.e. stackpack, mackpack, sailpack) using the kit from Sailrite? How did it go?

#6 ·
Looks like a pretty nicely-done project. We also have a stackpack-style mainsail cover, made by a friend a few years ago, that now needs restitching. So I'm hoping to get some insights from you, if that's okay. Did you put a batten along the upper edge of yours to keep it taut and straight? It looks like there's some kind of a pocket along the edge in your photos, but hard to tell for sure. Also, one of your photos shows sewing in some mesh material, but I can't figure out where that is ... is it for drainage, or stiffening? Thanx!

#9 ·
We used a a roll of parchment paper, attached it to a wall full sized then literally drew it on the wall in pencil, stood back and eyeballed, then made adjustments until we liked it.
One of a kind.

We gave it to a local Gemini owner as it won't fit the new boat.

#10 · (Edited)
We made one ....

...for our MacGregor a couple years ago and really like it. The build is here...

Ruth Canvas Mods page 9

...and it is quite a bit different than Sailrite's construction and a little more complicated to do.

Then we followed Sailrite's construction closer on this .....

...one for the Endeavour but didn't buy the kit. We still have bought almost all of our canvas supplies from them though.

I made a slug gate for the Mac so the main comes down very close to the boom. On the Endeavour the main rides a lot higher at the boom on the mast.

To keep the height of the sail-pack lower over its entire length we made a separate cover for the area by the mast where it piles up on the slugs.....

....It goes on and off quickly with common sense fasteners. The separate cover really helps to keep the main body of the pack lower.

We use the top battens on both for the lazy jack lines. The Mac's pack has all aluminum battens and the ones for the Endeavor are a combination of aluminum and PVC.

We have used the one on the Mac a lot and it and the lazy jack lines work great, but haven't been out with the one for the Endeavour yet so we will see how it works. Once you have one you are spoiled, at least we are.

The build on the one for the Endeavour is here...

Endeavour 37 Canvas Mods Index

and there are some youtube videos of it on this page...

Canvas Mods page 10

All of our canvas projects are pretty much here...

Ruth Canvas Mods Index

Sum

--------------------------------------------------

Our 37 Endeavour --- Our 26 MacGregor --- Trips With Both

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.