SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Sailrite Sailbag / Stackpack (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/92595-sailrite-sailbag-stackpack.html)

dvuyxx 09-30-2012 08:19 PM

Sailrite Sailbag / Stackpack
 
Has anyone ever made a drop-and-zip sailbag (i.e. stackpack, mackpack, sailpack) using the kit from Sailrite? How did it go?

MMR 10-01-2012 11:17 AM

Re: Sailrite Sailbag / Stackpack
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvuyxx (Post 928263)
Has anyone ever made a drop-and-zip sailbag (i.e. stackpack, mackpack, sailpack) using the kit from Sailrite? How did it go?

I didn't use their kit, but relied heavily on their online instructions to make two stackpacks for our Gemini.

It's a pretty easy sewing project. I've got pictures of the project (and the new machine I used) at:

Stackpack 2.0 Construction

chucklesR 10-01-2012 11:50 AM

Re: Sailrite Sailbag / Stackpack
 
David, try Bacon's also - they priced out making one for us ( MMR and I ) at about 750 bucks, that's for a 15 foot boom.

Mary made ours for about half that, custom as all heck so it was worth it.

dvuyxx 10-03-2012 09:46 PM

Re: Sailrite Sailbag / Stackpack
 
MMR - that looks incredible.

I'll check with Bacons.

- David

MMR 10-04-2012 12:19 PM

Re: Sailrite Sailbag / Stackpack
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvuyxx (Post 929444)
MMR - that looks incredible.

I'll check with Bacons.

- David

Thanks. Stackpack 3.0 is in the works for our Irwin.

wingNwing 10-04-2012 12:34 PM

Re: Sailrite Sailbag / Stackpack
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MMR (Post 928427)
I didn't use their kit, but relied heavily on their online instructions to make two stackpacks for our Gemini.

It's a pretty easy sewing project. I've got pictures of the project (and the new machine I used) at:

Stackpack 2.0 Construction

Looks like a pretty nicely-done project. We also have a stackpack-style mainsail cover, made by a friend a few years ago, that now needs restitching. So I'm hoping to get some insights from you, if that's okay. Did you put a batten along the upper edge of yours to keep it taut and straight? It looks like there's some kind of a pocket along the edge in your photos, but hard to tell for sure. Also, one of your photos shows sewing in some mesh material, but I can't figure out where that is ... is it for drainage, or stiffening? Thanx!

CalebD 10-04-2012 12:45 PM

Re: Sailrite Sailbag / Stackpack
 
I like the waves motif for your stack pack MMR & Chuck.

MMR 10-04-2012 02:01 PM

Re: Sailrite Sailbag / Stackpack
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wingNwing (Post 929634)
Looks like a pretty nicely-done project. We also have a stackpack-style mainsail cover, made by a friend a few years ago, that now needs restitching. So I'm hoping to get some insights from you, if that's okay. Did you put a batten along the upper edge of yours to keep it taut and straight? It looks like there's some kind of a pocket along the edge in your photos, but hard to tell for sure. Also, one of your photos shows sewing in some mesh material, but I can't figure out where that is ... is it for drainage, or stiffening? Thanx!

In our first Stackpack we used 1.5" PVC pipe for "battens" along the top. They weren't nearly stiff enough to support the pack, so for 2.0 we got stackpack battens (happened to find some at Bacons - YIPPEEE). I also added battens at the mast and boom end to help the empty pack maintain its shape when dropping the sails down.

The mesh is Phifertex (sailrite). We had some issues with water accumulating inside the 1.0 stackpack, so decided to add the mesh for ventilation and draining. Along the way, I decided that if we were going to have mesh, it might as well be decorative - hence the waves. The addition of the ventilation (and an off center zipper with flap on top) dramatically reduced the amount of water that collected in the stackpack after a rain - literally by gallons, so it was a worthwhile tweek to the design.

chucklesR 10-05-2012 10:49 AM

Re: Sailrite Sailbag / Stackpack
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 929640)
I like the waves motif for your stack pack MMR & Chuck.

We used a a roll of parchment paper, attached it to a wall full sized then literally drew it on the wall in pencil, stood back and eyeballed, then made adjustments until we liked it.
One of a kind.

We gave it to a local Gemini owner as it won't fit the new boat.

Sumner10 10-05-2012 06:13 PM

Re: Sailrite Sailbag / Stackpack
 
We made one ....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...6-SailPack.jpg

...for our MacGregor a couple years ago and really like it. The build is here...

Ruth Canvas Mods page 9

...and it is quite a bit different than Sailrite's construction and a little more complicated to do.

Then we followed Sailrite's construction closer on this .....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...ail%20Pack.jpg

...one for the Endeavour but didn't buy the kit. We still have bought almost all of our canvas supplies from them though.

I made a slug gate for the Mac so the main comes down very close to the boom. On the Endeavour the main rides a lot higher at the boom on the mast.

To keep the height of the sail-pack lower over its entire length we made a separate cover for the area by the mast where it piles up on the slugs.....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...ail%20Pack.jpg

....It goes on and off quickly with common sense fasteners. The separate cover really helps to keep the main body of the pack lower.

We use the top battens on both for the lazy jack lines. The Mac's pack has all aluminum battens and the ones for the Endeavor are a combination of aluminum and PVC.

We have used the one on the Mac a lot and it and the lazy jack lines work great, but haven't been out with the one for the Endeavour yet so we will see how it works. Once you have one you are spoiled, at least we are.

The build on the one for the Endeavour is here...

Endeavour 37 Canvas Mods Index

and there are some youtube videos of it on this page...

Canvas Mods page 10


All of our canvas projects are pretty much here...

Ruth Canvas Mods Index

Sum

--------------------------------------------------

Our 37 Endeavour --- Our 26 MacGregor --- Trips With Both

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...avour-sm-1.jpg


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012