SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hot Water Heater Replacement

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  pearson1987 
#1 ·
The original water heater on my 1988 Pearson 27 (#150) died at the end of last season. It was a Raritan 6 gallon. After a call to them I learn that the replacement model 1700 series is not the exact same, so a "switch out" is not going to be the case. Is this something an amatuer can do? Has anyone replaced this with another make? Mine has the heat exchanger function and I wonder of that poses additional difficulties? Thanks for any help!

#2 ·
If it is not leaking, I would check out the thermostat first. I recently replaced my thermostat with one from Home Depot-$8. It literally took less than 10 minutes. You can also replace the heating element almost as easily. It should not be a problem to replace the water heater yourself either. There are only 5 connections. 1/2 fresh water input/hot water output, 3/4 heat exchanger engine water input/output, and 5 electric power. Keep in mind that before you disconnect the fresh water you should turn off the water pressure or wear foulweather gear. Also realize that engine coolant water goes thru the heat exchanger so coolant will drain out. It would be best to catch the coolant so you can put back in after the replacement is connected. Most important - turn off and disconnect power first! Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.